Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Baby on a budget - need some tips / advice please

(26 Posts)
CincinnatiCrumbs Sat 21-Oct-17 10:01:06

This will be baby no. 3 but I had my youngest a long time ago and I need to start out all over again with baby stuff. However, this time round I will be on a very tight budget. Ive worked out that I can keep £40 aside per month. Is this doable?

Ill have all the big stuff like pram , cot, car seat borrowed from family so I'm thinking it's just the nappies, wipes and clothes that will be the main everyday cost.

I hope to breastfeed but my eldest couldn't so I do worry the Same could happen again and that would put a massive strain on the budget.

Could you please advise on cheapest decent nappies and wipes? Cheap blankets and clothes and toys.

ElizabethLemon Sat 21-Oct-17 10:05:17

Hi op, lots of supermarkets seem to have baby events every few months maybe you could bulk buy during those.

Clothes wise I often see bundles of baby clothes going quite cheap on eBay. Are there any nct nearly new sales by you?

NapQueen Sat 21-Oct-17 10:05:24

Aldi nappies and wipes are great.
Primark and H&M are great for baby clothes. Just go for low numbers and do a load every few days. Sleepsuits for day and night times works best rather than outfits.

Check in charity shops for sleeping bags rather than bedding, or ask for them as gifts.

Babies dont need any toys so I would just wait and get a rattle or two at about 3 months.

I found playmats with the arches over the top a lifesaver for somewhere to put the baby in the daytime and keep them entertained - try ebay?

ChocolateRaisin Sat 21-Oct-17 10:07:27

Try and get to a 'nearly new' nct sale, really cheap for clothes, toys and lots of other baby things.

Ps4widow Sat 21-Oct-17 10:11:23

If in Scotland try the jack n Jill market

Boringnamechange1 Sat 21-Oct-17 10:15:07

Aldi nappies and wipes! Fiver for a box of each. Newborn packs are about £2. Same with Asda Little Angels but I much prefer Aldi. I got a couple of cellular blankets from Aldi as well think they were £3. I also got a bigger one from Primark which I love. Some nice fleece ones in there as well. I got sheets and towels from Asda too for about £4. I bought loads of each but tbh I only really need a couple of each as I end up washing and reusing the same ones. If you don't mind second hand then check out local Facebook pages, I often see people selling play gyms etc for about a fiver.

Brightredpencil Sat 21-Oct-17 10:18:04

I would just out it out there that you're looking to help rehome anyone's baby stuff. Once a colleague or two and a few friends know you'll be inundated with their crap with lots of usable things. It's actually quite hard to get anything for second hand baby stuff and people often can't be bothered selling it for so little so like to see it go to a home they'll know.

CincinnatiCrumbs Sat 21-Oct-17 10:23:37

Thanks. Ive just checked the local NCT sale and it was end of September so just missed it. How often do they come up?

Ok so Aldi nappies and wipes . I have a lidl which is closer but are aldi better?

Mammatron Sat 21-Oct-17 10:26:36

There's an app called 'BumDeal' which gives the cheapest price for nappies and wipes

Mulch Sat 21-Oct-17 10:30:33

I prefer Aldi

Bewiser Sat 21-Oct-17 10:31:17

Reusable nappies if you don't mind a bit of extra washing. You can get very very cheap ones. Reusable wipes could be free or very cheap - cut up an old towel/rags/use old facecloths/buy packs of facecloths for £1 etc. I'd advise that even if you didn't do the nappies - I'd never give mine up! I'd worry very much about formula though and have some money somehow aside in case - I wanted to bf too but had to ff and dd could easily get through £80/month of formula at her peak.

BelfastSmile Sat 21-Oct-17 10:53:35

Nappies/wipes - we use reuseable for both, but if you don't fancy doing the nappy washes then at least try the wipes. You can make them out of an old towel cut up, and store in a Tupperware box. You can buy a wet bag to store used ones until wash time. Saved us a fortune.

Clothes - baby gros and vests will be fine for the first few months and are cheap. If you're given clothes for anything up to 6 months, take them for an exchange if you can. Most big shops will let you exchange even without a receipt. Just change them for a bigger size. (Obviously you can't necessarily do this without offending the buyer, so be sensitive!)

Feeding - get info on local breastfeeding groups now. There may also be a local Facebook page for breastfeeders. Obviously it's not a guarantee that it'll work out, but it will increase your chances of feeding successfully if you have support. If you do end up giving formula, obviously go for the big tubs of powder, not the ready-made stuff.

Toys - at first you don't need much; save your money for the sales and buy stuff that they'll get plenty of use out of - building blocks, Duplo etc. Or buy bundles on EBay or Gumtree.

I second what someone said above about making it known that you accept all donations! I've had loads of stuff that way. Also NCT sales, charity shops etc are great. And once something's outgrown, sell it on. Even if you only get a few pounds each time, it all adds up.

tarheelbaby Sat 21-Oct-17 11:08:42

totally agree with Brightredpencil w/regards to clothes and other bits'n'bobs. Definitely don't buy anything if you can help it. Put out the word that you are expecting and the floodgates will open. Many people have a stack of perfectly good baby gear (clothes, muslins, toys, carriers, shoes and more) which they want to share, knowing some really will use it, rather than just donate to a faceless charity.

Boringnamechange1 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:10:43

As a previous poster mention formula can be expensive but Aldi do their own brand think it's £6/7. Cow&Gate is £9 I think. I use Aptamil which is £11 but from what I've read the Aldi formula has the same nutritional information although I think all brands are pretty much the same.

NoSwsForYou Sat 21-Oct-17 11:14:22

I did it on a budget too, and found that we didn't even have to ask for people's second hand stuff, as soon as they found out I was pregnant we were inundated with the stuff! I figured out that we had so much that we didn't need to buy any clothes ourselves until DS was around 6-9 months. That took a lot of the stress out of it actually, because it meant I could buy a few bits that I really liked instead and not feel bad!

wobblywonderwoman Sat 21-Oct-17 11:17:38

Aldi nappies are great. I bet someone would give you baby clothes - u had tonnes here and ended up charity shopping them. Try the charity shops too. I bought the grobags etc there.

Don't buy special mats/gyms.

The formula us what adds up I find. I fed for six weeks and then we needed special formula for ds.

AvocadoLovingMamaOfOne Sat 21-Oct-17 11:24:38

Lidl nappies and wipes are great, and are definitely good at holding breastfed baby poo. We found pampers etc to be useless at that.
Asda living have lovely baby blankets, vests, sleepsuits and muslin cloths, as do Primark.
Home bargains/H&M often have some baby bargains. Join boots prenting club as they send out vouchers that can be useful.
Reusable breast pads will save you some money too.

LiefievdM Sat 21-Oct-17 11:24:40

Register on https://www.freecycle.org and join the group for your area and those close enough for you to get to. People regularly give away lots of baby/toddler stuff like toys/bedding/clothes/equipment for free. You can also post for what you need.

littlebeanandme Sat 21-Oct-17 18:45:29

Don’t buy newborn Aldi nappies until they do their baby event, they are soooooo cheap then! Half price I think x

tappitytaptap Sat 21-Oct-17 19:13:42

Aldi nappies cheaper (and I think maybe better) than Lidl.

northdevonmummy Sat 21-Oct-17 19:31:08

Lidl seem to reduce nappies and wipes every month or so at the moment to half price for a weekend. Although I kept money aside rather than stock up on nappies as each of mine have suited a different nappy due to body shape.

We only ever use wet wipes when out and about. At home it's cheeky wipes, although old towels flannels etc would work just as well, they were a gift.

We invested in a fairly pricy sling as hip problems run in my family and the easily avaliable high street narrow based carriers could make these worse. But did fall down the rabbit hole and now have loads. So not really money saving there!

I've often got massive bundles of clothes on local facebook groups too. And sold on fairly cheaply to people who have been willing to take a risk to grab a bargin when I've not had the time to photograph individually.

MytToeHurtsBetty Sat 21-Oct-17 20:07:37

Aldi nappies are which too rated until size 4. Also use Facebook selling sites. If your having a girl pm me I have masses of clothes! 😁😁😁

Cakescakescakes Sat 21-Oct-17 20:10:14

Lidl nappies and wipes are totally fine. They often have them on a half pride offer which makes them about £1.40 for a pack of nappies. Excellent value.

shouldaknownbetter Sat 21-Oct-17 20:11:41

buy secondhand and sell secondhand on ebay for anything that is re-sellable. Use the money from the stuff you sell to buy the next thing you need.

inappropriateraspberry Sat 21-Oct-17 20:34:36

Don’t forget you may well be given some things when the baby is born. Don’t buy too many clothes etc beforehand - it’s so easy to pick up things you may be missing in the supermarkets. I’ve always used Lidl nappies and wipes with no issues, and mostly Asda and Tesco for clothing. If you can breastfeed, there really isn’t a lot to spend week to week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now