Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Getting a new kitten today !!! Any advise on first few weeks ?

(30 Posts)
dizzycatdance2 Sat 21-Oct-17 09:27:49

Hi
After many years of putting of getting a cat (llooonnngggggg divorce) I've finally thought f**k it I'm getting one.

I have 4dc, ds1 18,dd16, ds2 14, ds3 12

Kitten is litter trained , eating well , she's 11 weeks

I'm ok with all the vet "stuff" but could just do with some advise on the early days at home.

Eg

How long before she can go out on her own ?

I'm worried about the kids letting her out ,so thought I could get one of those electronic tag things that you can find with your phone and put it on her collar.

There are lots of nooks and crannies she could fall asleep in and cause a panic.

Any other tips would be most welcome

Dcs don't know, I'm soooo excited . grin

ownedbySWD Sat 21-Oct-17 09:31:43

Keep her in one room for a while, about a week. Make sure she has safe places to hide. No going outside until she's been spayed!!

dizzycatdance2 Sat 21-Oct-17 09:34:28

Oh yes to the sapying !!
Last cat was a boy, he was spayed but its not white the same "risk " is it !

dizzycatdance2 Sat 21-Oct-17 09:34:28

Oh yes to the sapying !!
Last cat was a boy, he was spayed but its not white the same "risk " is it !

FluffySavage Sat 21-Oct-17 09:38:24

Congratulations! And welcome to the world of cat slavery grin as pp said, keep her in one room for a while, don't let her out until spayed and chipped, plenty of toys to play with. Kittens adapt pretty quickly to a new environment, their curiosity gets the better of them. Oh and stock up on plasters...kitten claws are the sharpest thing known to man!

Lilimoon Sat 21-Oct-17 10:34:32

Cuddle her loads. 😃

MoanerChopsis Sat 21-Oct-17 10:45:08

Last time I got kittens, the vet recommended not letting them outside until 6 months, this apparently makes them more indoor, people orientated cats. I compromised slightly in that the were allowed outside, supervised, during the day from about three months on, but weren't let out unsupervised or at nighttime until 6 months. Worked well for us!

Crunchymum Sat 21-Oct-17 10:53:07

Piccies, we need piccies grin

BahHumbygge Sat 21-Oct-17 10:54:05

You do realise that posting a picture of your new fluffball on MN is compulsory, on pain of exile to the icy moons of Neptune wink

Keep anything chewable safely away from her... iPhone charger leads, hair bands, remote controls etc etc.

Hold on tight for the ride... you'll have hours of exhilarating fun and infuriation in equal measure grin

Dodie66 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:00:20

Pics please :-)

dizzycatdance2 Sat 21-Oct-17 17:10:59

How do I post a picture ??

BahHumbygge Sat 21-Oct-17 18:29:02

1. Save the photos to your desktop
2. Type out your message as usual
3. Under the message box, it says "Images, up to 30 per day: choose file". Click on "choose file" and in the selection box, navigate to the file on your desktop. Click ok. Repeat with more images of cuteness.
4. Check your message, click "post message"

Gingernaut Sat 21-Oct-17 18:32:30

<Waits excitedly for pics>

gringringringringringringringrin

dizzycatdance2 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:53:51

I'm trying, can't seem to do it from my phone and can't seem to seems images to my lap top.

She's fallen asleep !!

dizzycatdance2 Sat 21-Oct-17 19:16:48

photos (I hope)

dizzycatdance2 Sat 21-Oct-17 19:18:25

oh it worked

Wolfiefan Sat 21-Oct-17 19:19:56

No collar. They can get collar injuries or hang themselves.

dizzycatdance2 Sat 21-Oct-17 19:21:24

one more

MabelFurball Sat 21-Oct-17 19:28:30

What a cute kitty.

Kpo58 Sat 21-Oct-17 19:32:35

Train the kitten to come in at night.

Less risk of being run over or to local wildlife.

dementedpixie Sat 21-Oct-17 19:35:56

We didn't confine to one room for a week but did confine to a smaller space overnight. Neutered at 4 months and chipped at the same time. Let them out for supervised trips in garden from 4 months. More freedom after chipping/ neutering. Ours are in overnight

AccidentalyRunToWindsor Sat 21-Oct-17 19:51:27

Never put her down! The kitten days go so fast....😿

bertsdinner Sat 21-Oct-17 20:43:05

Lovely little cat. I agree with pp, take care with collar as they can cause injury.
I keep my cat in at night, he's also chipped. A lot of vets will do this at the same time as neutering.
Watch out for electric wires, phone chargers, cats love to chew them.

Crunchymum Sat 21-Oct-17 21:25:30

Beautiful kitty.

Kind of agree about the collar though, especially on small (inquisitive and very active) kittens.

Maybe do a bit of research on it OP. Enjoy your new addition though.

dizzycatdance2 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:31:36

Oh thanks for the info, hadn't thought about the collar , she woke up for a full body clean and now she's off exploring again.
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now