Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Broken toe - concerned about angle - GP, Urgent Care Centre, or Woman Up?

(13 Posts)
TheDucksAreComing Sat 21-Oct-17 01:43:25

I'm pretty sure I've broken my toe. I've read the NHS advice and it seems there's generally not much that can be done. I'm just a little concerned that it's not pointing quite the same way as before, and when I try and bend it, it sort of moves sideways towards the big toe rather than bending. Nothing dramatic, not at right angles or anything, and no bones sticking out!

Would you bother getting it checked out / x-rayed, or will any health professional think I'm a huge timewaster?

heartknot Sat 21-Oct-17 01:59:12

A&E health professional here. If the toe is at a different angle to usual it probably is worth checking it out at your local urgent care or ED. It's difficult to say without seeing it. Sometimes swelling can cause the deformity, sometimes it is an angulated fracture that needs re-positioning.

MsPassepartout Sat 21-Oct-17 02:01:52

Personally I’d get it looked at if the angle of the toe didn’t look right.
Not sure where would be best to go so I’d suggest calling 111 and asking them whether it’s one for the GP or an urgent care centre.

TheDucksAreComing Sat 21-Oct-17 02:36:08

Thanks both. I think I'll see how it looks when I get up tomorrow morning and hobble down to the Urgent Care Centre if it's still looking as odd.

confusedwife84 Sat 21-Oct-17 03:08:08

Def get it looked at, probably requires crutches

Brightredpencil Sat 21-Oct-17 03:43:11

Yes I would get it checked/X rayed as like a pp said it may need repositioning. Good luck

sycamore54321 Sat 21-Oct-17 04:08:19

Definitely get it seen if there is any risk it is dislocated. It can cause complications if it heals in the wrong place.

Sympathies, I had similar not long ago. After it was re-set, what I found most helpful was the special hard-soled boot that the hospital gave me. It was hideously ugly but it made a huge difference to my pain and mobility levels. See if you can use anything to make a super-stiff hard insole for one of your shoes as it may help you move with less pain.

How did the injury happen?

Oraiste Sat 21-Oct-17 07:35:36

Get it looked at. I broke 2 of mine 18 months or so ago. Swollen, but no funny angle, just a huge amount of pain. Went to minor injuries - which we pay for here. Doctor behaved like I was making a fuss. I had broken them but his opinion was I didn't need to be there really but did treat me.

Now I have other foot problems so have been to a podiatrist. She highlighted a problem with my toes and confirmed I was absolutely right to have got them seen as I'd be much worse now if I hadn't.

AuntieStella Sat 21-Oct-17 07:43:27

How does it seem this morning Ducks ?

You're right that often there isn't really any treatment for broken toes other than wait for it to get better. But you do get more sympathy, which is nice.

And it will be worth knowing if anything needs to be done about the angle.

Chesterado Sat 21-Oct-17 08:04:30

I would get it checked out - I had similar a few years back, it was v painful so I hobbled to a walk in centre who X-rayed it and found a complex fracture in my middle toe so I had to have them all strapped up for a few weeks.

Glad I had it checked out as it has healed well and I was allowed to work from home for a week until I was up to commuting again. The walk in centre/urgent care option sounds good.

FaithEverPresent Sat 21-Oct-17 08:23:00

Another HCP who thinks dodgy angle requires medical attention. Ideally somewhere with X-ray facilities.

TheDucksAreComing Sat 21-Oct-17 16:44:31

Thanks all. Went in this morning. It's fractured, but not dislocated, and deformity down to the swelling. It's been all strapped up and I'm back on the sofa feeling sorry for myself. No one made me feel at all like a time-waster. (I love the NHS).

FaithEverPresent Sat 21-Oct-17 16:59:06

Glad you got seen. Broken toes really hurt! Pleased to hear it’s not dislocated. I hope the strapping helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now