Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Who lives really rurally?

(158 Posts)
Efofo Fri 20-Oct-17 22:15:18

I used to live walking distance from a John Lewis, B&Q, Tesco Extra and a whole load of other high street shops. Now I live in a small village without a shop, several miles from any larger mainstream shops. I LOVE it. Am more than happy being away from all the hurly burly of town living and temptations of unnecessary spending. Yes, it takes more effort to do simple things, but that is not a bad thing and it means I shop less frequently, spend less money, and only buy what I need. I don’t nip to the shops every five minutes and don’t find that I need to like I used to. I do other stuff instead.

Anyone else left the town for the country and feel happier for it? Not criticising townfolk btw, just a different way of life that suits me better.

doleritedinosaur Fri 20-Oct-17 22:24:17

I've left a big city for country/very small town/rural & Im very up & down about it.

Not completely isolated like a village but almost.

I don't drive so I think that what's depresses me & being 3 hours away from the sea & 1 hour from mountains.

I like how everything is here as before I would have gone all over the city to baby groups & activities I go to but I just wish the sea was here.

CincinnatiCrumbs Fri 20-Oct-17 22:26:35

I am living in an extremely busy urban area but dream of moving rurally but I always wonder if I would truly like it and not find it too secluded. Glad the move has worked out for you, op.

twinone Fri 20-Oct-17 22:30:18

We moved 2 years ago from suburbia to the middle of nowhere. Nearest neighbours are not visible from the house but can be seen from our land. Same for the lane we live on.
I love it and can quite happily go days without leaving or seeing anybody.
Coming home from work always makes me feel lucky to live in such a beautiful location.

Pasithea Fri 20-Oct-17 22:31:33

Recently moved to the middle of nowhere. Love it. Wish we could have done it earlier.

ILoveDolly Fri 20-Oct-17 22:32:38

Our village has a small grocers, next small town with neccessaries is about 5 mins. For brand shops, cinemas, etc at least a half hour drive. I have lived in several major cities, London/Paris the bigger ones I could name, but I don't miss them and we are very happy here. The DCs might find this area dull in a few years but I think there's nothing wrong with having an incentive to move on age 18 grin

Efofo Fri 20-Oct-17 22:34:01

Dolerite, you don’t sound too happy about it sad Do you think driving would make things easier? Any chance of you doing that?
At the moment I am still in the honeymoon period, and I am heavily dependent on my car, so if/when it breaks down, I do worry about it.

What’s surprised me about living rurally is that I feel less lonely than I did living surrounded by thousands of people. Sounds obvious since it’s not a new thing to hear about people feeling anonymous living in a city, but I find people so much nicer, friendlier, available to help and genuine than in the city. I know it could become stifling though so wary of that. For now it’s great.

ssd Fri 20-Oct-17 22:35:41

is it not scary living in the middle of nowhere?

Blackandpurple Fri 20-Oct-17 22:36:05

I live on the side of a mountain in Snowdonia. No shop no school but travel 3 miles down the road snd they are there. 8 miles from Tesco in town.

Love it! Mountain/quarries/walks all i need for a walk. So much history you have to embrace it.

Blackandpurple Fri 20-Oct-17 22:37:05

Oh and the beach 3 miles away too.

JWrecks Fri 20-Oct-17 22:39:13

I've just left a large city and moved to the absolute middle of nowhere - nearest neighbour over a mile away! - and I have never been happier in my life! I don't care that things take a little longer; we'll just do several things at once rather than a little thing every day. And everyone we meet out here is MUCH friendlier than in the city.

I don't ever want to go back, even to visit!! :D

honeyroar Fri 20-Oct-17 22:39:38

I live very rurally, on a small holding with gorgeous hills and open countryside views all around, but there is a large village (with shops, restaurants and pubs) a mile away, a large town (big shops and supermarkets) five miles away and one major city twelve miles away, another 25 miles away. Lately it's become a commuter belt, people just want the old country house (onto which they add an ugly extension) and a Range Rover to hurtle around the lanes in. I want to move to somewhere more isolated where it's not so convenient and desirable for non country types!

Efofo Fri 20-Oct-17 22:39:53

Ssd, on the contrary I feel much safer. My car insurance proves it, so much cheaper, so little crime around here and if I need help in an emergency, I know who would actually help me, rather than in the town not sure I would have so much practical help. People seems to have more time to help others here, one reason because they might need it themselves (in a non sceptical selfish way).

Santawontbelong Fri 20-Oct-17 22:39:57

Live at the seaside but plan to live rural in a caravan in the future!

twinone Fri 20-Oct-17 22:40:50

ssd if you are of a nervous disposition, yes it could be scary living in the middle of nowhere.
I just don't give it any thought.

Efofo Fri 20-Oct-17 22:43:30

JWrecks, I find I get very stressed and flustered whenever I have to go to a big town now. Hate it!

Cakecrumbsinmybra Fri 20-Oct-17 22:44:58

Is anywhere truly rural anymore? I grew up in the middle of wales, in a cluster of 6 houses, but even there the cluster has increased, the next village grown and the nearest town has about 4 supermarkets now. I live in a coastal village, and I feel like it is the best of both worlds as everything is close by and yet we have beach/forest on our doorstep. But ideally I'd live somewhere even quieter as in 10 years it has become busier.

Slimthistime Fri 20-Oct-17 22:45:33

this is my dream OP

I love it when people start threads like this!

It sounds so wonderful. I have no interest in shops like dept stores and not big on consumerism and want to have a house and large large garden and potter and grow veg etc.

the only thing that worries me about middle of nowhere is how far a GP or hospital is (mostly because of a spinal injury in the past). But now they are closing A&E willy nilly it probably doesn't make much difference!

MaitlandGirl Fri 20-Oct-17 22:46:42

We live in a little hamlet (6 houses in walking distance) and it’s great. It’s an hours round trip to do the shopping and we’re surrounded by farmland.

Every morning we watch the kangaroos cross the paddocks, dodging the cows! and feed the possums that live in the trees of a nighttime.

DD2 has to leave at 7am to walk to the nearest train station to get to school so it’s a very long day for her (she goes to school in the nearest town so half an hour on the train) but she’s only got another year left.

The worst things about living out here are the bats (absolutely massive!!) and driving around in the dark as the kangaroos don’t seem to care what time of night they jump out in front of you. And the wombats don’t exactly rush across the road either!!

We used to live in a massive new estate (over 1000 houses) and it was awful. Even though we’re isolated in terms of location we’ve never felt lonely here and it’s peaceful rather than oppressive.

Slimthistime Fri 20-Oct-17 22:47:44

P.S. I should probably add, I am worried about making new friends, my current ones here are basically family. If anything stops me, that will be it.

iniquity Fri 20-Oct-17 22:48:00

I've just moved back to mg old village and yes I agree with the poster above, it has expanded and doesn't feel rural anymore, the huge supermarkets are never far away. Feel a bit sad about it.

Etymology23 Fri 20-Oct-17 22:50:26

I lived v rurally (1 neighbour, not even in a village) growing up. I loved the quiet, and the freedom and that my life was very like growing up in an earlier time. I didn't like having to cycle 10+ miles to visit my friends! I think as an adult it would be much easier. Internet shopping and specifically groceries means that that side of things is less frustrating than it would have been eg 40 or so years ago. We were always outsiders though - people were very nice but our neighbour had married an outsider because they were from the nearest large town!

Another plus is that I'm forever gifted with being happy to drive a good way to something because I'm used to everything being a good way away.

However hay fever was horrifically bad. I live in a town now because it's cheaper, and have got used to the noise and can sit outside easier in the summer.

Efofo Fri 20-Oct-17 22:50:52

Ooh Maitland, what part of England is that? wink😂😂

MaitlandGirl Fri 20-Oct-17 22:53:22

slimthistime We’re half an hour from the nearest hospital so if you have to wait for an ambulance it could be anything over 90 mins from calling to getting to the hospital.

If we need an ambulance and it’s not appropriate to wait that long, or it’s a spinal injury they’d send the helicopter. Is that something that would be appropriate for where you are?

Efofo Fri 20-Oct-17 22:53:49

Come and join us Slimthistime! If it’s your dream (it was always mine and it only happened to me by accident, never thought I’d really do it), you’ll love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now