Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can anyone talk to me about Hampshire?

(228 Posts)
Marigoldsinoctober Fri 20-Oct-17 20:48:26

Moving to north Hampshire- what areas should we avoid? Any suggestions of good ways to make friends? smile

starsshinebright Fri 20-Oct-17 21:01:20

I'm from Fleet. More north east Hampshire but close enough! It's a small town, with links to bigger city's if needed - about 50 minutes into Waterloo. Friendly easy going place to live but not too rural!

Marigoldsinoctober Fri 20-Oct-17 21:08:17

Fleet is one of the places we're looking at! Are you nice?? Will you be my friend? grin

only kidding

BloodSplatteredFangs Fri 20-Oct-17 21:10:06

What places in North Hampshire are you considering?

Marigoldsinoctober Fri 20-Oct-17 21:11:40

Farnborough, Fleet, camberley (is that Surrey??) ... anywhere recommended by mumsnet ...blush

repetitionrepetition Fri 20-Oct-17 21:13:27

Great place to live. Well, not camberley!

TeenTimesTwo Fri 20-Oct-17 21:14:37

South Hants is nice too.

megletthesecond Fri 20-Oct-17 21:15:25

Basingstoke is officially not totally crap now we have a waitrose grin.

Marigoldsinoctober Fri 20-Oct-17 21:15:59

Really?? Why not? Thank you! Is it nice and friendly? I am worried about not making any friends smile

Velvetbee Fri 20-Oct-17 21:16:24

We're lovely.

Marigoldsinoctober Fri 20-Oct-17 21:16:32

Meglet there are NO Waitroses where I currently live! Will I need to take out a second mortgage to do the weekly shop? grin

furlinedsheepskinjacket Fri 20-Oct-17 21:16:57

hello

i'm south hants smile

basingstoke prob best avoided - traffic is a nightmare and town is a bit soulless

tadley is supposed to be nice
fleet is commuterville i think

furlinedsheepskinjacket Fri 20-Oct-17 21:18:08

we are ever so friendly smile

BillyDaveysDaughter Fri 20-Oct-17 21:19:46

Come down here to Portsmouth in South East Hants. It's cheap, only a bit rough in places, an hour so into London and we're very friendly.

I moved her from Alton (close to Fleet) and we love it.

MomToWedThorFriday Fri 20-Oct-17 21:22:12

South Hants is definitely the best part of Hants grin

Packergator Fri 20-Oct-17 21:25:22

Another vote for Pompey. Super city! grin

Marigoldsinoctober Fri 20-Oct-17 21:26:13

It would be a bit far for work!

fairygarden Fri 20-Oct-17 21:39:04

Pompey is a dive ! grin

Sandsnake Fri 20-Oct-17 21:39:58

Fleet is definitely nicer than Camberley or Farnborough. Good train links. Alton is good, but a long commute into Waterloo. Winchester is fantastic, expensive though - commute is pretty decent as on fast line (is further away but quicker than Alton, for example).

Have heard good things about Petersfield, which is further up the Portsmouth line to Waterloo. Farnham is lovely, on Hants / Surrey border and on Alton line in to Waterloo. Again, quite expensive.

Good luck!smile

BillyDaveysDaughter Fri 20-Oct-17 21:41:56

Ah. Well...if you buy in Farnborough, Cove is nice but avoid Totlands. Fleet is much nicer if you can afford it, as is Frimley. Aldershot is cheap but not that nice, bit run down.

A bit further east than that - Basingstoke, cheapish but horrible for traffic and roundabouts. Rather built up. Alton is lovely, bit more expensive (hence our move further down to Pompey), but you're the wrong side of a couple of traffic blackspots depending on where you work.

Suggestions as to how to make friends? Chat to people in supermarkets and take strolls around the local area. smile When we moved I spent ages out in the front garden talking to passers-by. Fastest way to make friends with the neighbours, everyone is a little bit nosy - give a little of yourself! <not too much>

BillyDaveysDaughter Fri 20-Oct-17 21:46:25

sandsnake we know exactly the same areas. I forgot about Petersfield actually, I get the train from there.

Oi fairygarden...I'm in the North in a naice part if you DON'T mind grin <whispers> Portsmouth city is not that nice

DontbeaDickaboutit Fri 20-Oct-17 21:54:19

Waves to the Portsmouth posters

I live in north Portsmouth too and it’s by far a dive, culture, history, sea, country, fast routes to London, friendly community, decent traditional housing... lots of friends have moved this way from far more glam places!

Saying that, Hampshire is just bloody great in general! Petersfield is lovely just watch out for gypsies

Good luck!

SerialChangerOfName Fri 20-Oct-17 21:55:16

I grew up in Fleet! <waves at Stars!> Lovely place! Live there!

repetitionrepetition Fri 20-Oct-17 22:01:49

basingstoke is not as bad as everyone says!! it’s great if you want functional consumption. it’s great if you like newer houses/estates. it’s amazing for roundabouts! there is a wagamamas and a nandos.

i don’t live there but it’s really not that bad!

i know Alton well, i live in Winchester now which is so naice I’m bored. there are some lovely villages up that way... what’s important is have you got the cash required!

BillyDaveysDaughter Fri 20-Oct-17 22:12:25

<waves to fellow Hampshirites>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now