Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How cheap could you do a weeks shop?

(58 Posts)
Justthejist Fri 20-Oct-17 19:31:31

soon to go on mat leave and am trying to cut back wherever possible.

How little do you think I can get away with spending on the weekly shop for 2 adults a 3yr old and a newborn? To include nappies (newborn only) and possible a little formula (going to try to breastfeed but needed a little help last time!) Also breakfasts, packed lunches and dinners.

Want to push myself with an ambitious low target!!

InDubiousBattle Fri 20-Oct-17 19:33:27

£80. Do you eat meat? Drink any booze?

Justthejist Fri 20-Oct-17 19:33:52

I'm planning something mince based each week to last two nights. Then a roast chicken with leftovers used the next day for sandwiches and a curry/risotto. But any other ideas for meals would be fab!

Justthejist Fri 20-Oct-17 19:34:49

We do eat meat but are happy to have a couple of meat free days. And do drink but will maybe only have one bottle of wine a week sad

SpinnerDryer Fri 20-Oct-17 19:36:12

I use Tesco version of Quorn for mince and Tesco jar of mild chilli cook in sauce, add your own peppers & onions and I have rice & a jacket potato.

MudsMVP Fri 20-Oct-17 19:37:19

2 adults, 2 kids.

I could (and have) done it for £60.

I could (and unfortunately have) done it for £200+ (when I shopped in Waitrose)

I budget £80 pw, but often spend more like £100 including top-ups.

We do a weekly shop in Aldi, with top-ups from Tesco and Sainsburys and occasionally M&S/Waitrose

InDubiousBattle Fri 20-Oct-17 19:37:19

I think £80 would be realistic. I think you could definitely do it cheaper but over a year it would become very tiresome, obviously needs must but if you could budget for it I think £80 would be reasonable with perhaps a £50-60 shop one week a month.

MudsMVP Fri 20-Oct-17 19:37:55

That includes toiletries and booze, btw

mynameisspam Fri 20-Oct-17 19:39:37

Aldi sells (nearly) everything these days including their own brand formula. So including that and nappies and wipes I’d probably say around £50.

MyDcAreMarvel Fri 20-Oct-17 19:41:22

£45 if you meal plan and shop in Aldi.

MudsMVP Fri 20-Oct-17 19:41:35

So, yeah...budget £65 pw and allow A £10-20 overspend some weeks? Seems do-able.

Justthejist Fri 20-Oct-17 19:41:52

Thanks all, I was thinking about £80 was realistic. Might aim for cheaper, but not feel too bad if I get to £80.

I have recently started totting up what I spend each week and I'm shocked! Really need to keep the spending in check.

GerrytheBerry Fri 20-Oct-17 19:42:06

Definitely possible to aim for 50 in aldi. I did mine in there yesterday for 70 odd and that included alcohol for dh and lots of non essential crap! Plus size 4 nappies and wipes.

oldlaundbooth Fri 20-Oct-17 19:43:13

As pp's say cut the meat, booze and snacks. More lentils and beans. Full fat diary.

Make soup. Loads of veg, lentils, stick, blend, voilà.

Make a chilli one night, have it with rice, have it the next night wrapped in tortillas and sprinkled with grated cheese, under the grill or five mins so the cheese bubbles.

Cook once, eat twice.
Same with bolognaise. Spag bol one night, lasagne the next.

Make sure you load up the oven when it's on with jacket spuds which you can have the next night with tuna, beans etc.

oldlaundbooth Fri 20-Oct-17 19:43:38

Sorry, didn't answer question.

Around £60 I reckon.

oldlaundbooth Fri 20-Oct-17 19:44:25

Loads of veg, lentils, stick, blend, voilà.

Stick = stock

Haha.

Or use a stick blender.

MinnowAndTheBear Fri 20-Oct-17 19:44:27

Aldi is your friend here. Their wipes/nappies/baby food are all great. My cheapest meal is jacket potatoes w/tuna mayo, salad, coleslaw etc for about £3. Veg soup is another good one, and can be made in bulk and frozen so it's ideal when you're looking after a baby and need a night off from cooking.

MyDcAreMarvel Fri 20-Oct-17 19:46:39

£80 isn't an ambitious low target. It's a lot for a family with a newborn and three year old.

ScallopedEdge Fri 20-Oct-17 19:55:25

Family of 4 here, similar ages/needs. Can do £50 if we have to but it's normally more £60-70 but that's without having to cut back on anything. We shop at Lidl.
Alcohol is bought separately though out of our own fun money.

lolalotta Fri 20-Oct-17 19:55:26

Following

champagneplanet Fri 20-Oct-17 19:58:54

It all depends how on how much you drink and where you shop.

Aldi I would say comfortably £50-£60 per week, a bit more if you drink.

Meal planning is your friend here though, you'd be able to squeeze in some wine/beer too.

User5trillion Fri 20-Oct-17 20:02:56

Watching for inspiration, aiming to do £70 a week for 2 dc and 2 adults whilst low carbing.

DistractedByIrrelevance Fri 20-Oct-17 20:05:45

The cheapest way I have found is to stretch my weekly shop to 10 days. We usually have to top up milk and some fruit. The biggest help was getting an extra freezer.

Teaandchoccake Fri 20-Oct-17 20:10:40

We do £80 plus another £20 in top ups. I buy nappies and cleaning stuff including that and a bottle of wine or two. However we drink and entertain quite a bit at home so tend to buy our alcohol in bulk every few weeks - maybe £60 a month extra.

Lairymilk Fri 20-Oct-17 20:12:23

We manage £60 in Aldi for 2 adults, 1child so just add on whatever nappies and formula cost you. That's not being super careful either - reckon if we were t

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now