Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DH joining an MC

(35 Posts)
MotorcycleWife Fri 20-Oct-17 17:51:25

Massively outing, so temporary NC. MN will be able to see I'm a regular.

Does anyone here have any experience of this?

My DH is prospecting for a back patched MC, linked to a 1% club although he won't be part of the 1% club, just their support MC.

I'm twitchy as heck about the links to the 1% club (don't want to name them, too easy to ID DH and me), even though they won't exactly be popping round to our house.

My concern is that he does have a tendency to say yes to anything that helps someone else out, and is liable to get involved in stupid stuff under this guise.

Both the non-1% and 1% club members are prolific drug users (seen this for myself at public events) and I have no tolerance for drug use. I'm not concerned he'll take anything, just that this is indicative that these are not my kind of people he'll be hanging around with.

I ride motorcycles too, but this is a whole new, slight scary, ballgame. I've met lots of MC members over the years at events, I know they're also fathers etc and most have jobs or their own businesses, but the 1% thing does worry me.

And no, this isn't Sons of Anarchy - murders are not what I'm picturing!

seasidesally Fri 20-Oct-17 17:55:06

im very confused as have little idea what it is,could you give a basic explanation please

AnyFucker Fri 20-Oct-17 17:57:46

What the bejesus are you talking about ?

ClashCityRocker Fri 20-Oct-17 17:57:47

I'm guessing a motorbike club??

2014newme Fri 20-Oct-17 17:58:56

Ooo my first thought was sons of anarchy! You can be gemma!

MotorcycleWife Fri 20-Oct-17 18:00:12

Hi Sally, I've deliberately worded it a little opaquely to find people with knowledge of the issues, however in short an MC is a. Motorcycle Club.

A 1% MC is the sort the movies like to typecast as trouble. Think Hells Angels, Outlaws, Vagos etc. You see them riding around on big motorbikes and have large patches on the backs of their waistcoats (usually leather)

MotorcycleWife Fri 20-Oct-17 18:01:07

Heh, I'm waaaaay too fat to be Gemma! Loved her eyeliner though.

MarciaBlaine Fri 20-Oct-17 18:02:23

I thought they were generally seen as good guys now, do thing for charity etc.

OneOfTheGrundys Fri 20-Oct-17 18:02:32

Hmm. From the little I know they're hard to join but harder to leave.
How much more commitment will it take? You're already involved socially so what difference will the joining of the wider 'squad' make in reality? They don't sound the most charming bunch. What's he hoping to get out of it?

Doobigetta Fri 20-Oct-17 18:03:10

It's got red shirt written all over it, OP.

Sorry, I know fuck all about it irl but I loved Sons of Anarchy.

2014newme Fri 20-Oct-17 18:04:47

What does the 1% refer to?

MotorcycleWife Fri 20-Oct-17 18:05:35

Yes, lots of public charity stuff. It's the behind the scenes stuff I'm concerned about.
OneOfTheGrundys commitment doesn't seem horrendous once you're a member. Whilst he's prospecting it's about 2-4 evenings a week which is fine (no kids). It's a lot less than I expected actually. He wants the camaraderie and "brotherhood" aspect of it. He loves riding as part of a pack so do I and I suspect he feels it's a bit glamorous, but he won't admit it! I think it's rather more seedy.

OneOfTheGrundys Fri 20-Oct-17 18:06:13

We have a big one that recruits round us. They're a nice bunch. Sort of rotary club but with bikes! Fundraising for children's hospices that sort of thing.
We have had a friend part of a 1% club though and it was too much for him for various reasons. He travelled a lot with his job with DH and found the paying tribute at each local branch he went to just too much.

OneOfTheGrundys Fri 20-Oct-17 18:07:33

Ah x post. Yes, I take your point about the seedy side... have you met any of the other partners?

MotorcycleWife Fri 20-Oct-17 18:07:57

Doobigetta not the Red Machine, another 1% though.

The 1% goes back to an old story after a massive gunfight in the USA involving MCs, where they adopted it as a badge of honour as the "1%" referred to as criminal troublemakers in the press (or something along those lines).

MotorcycleWife Fri 20-Oct-17 18:11:16

OneOfTheGrundys I can imagine that gets wearing!! I have met one partner who, bless her, thought I was a member of the club, so I don't think she's clued up on what her DH does of an evening. The few members I've met are nice enough on the face of it, but I do feel rather strongly about the drugs thing, so I know it taints my views.

Gammeldragz Fri 20-Oct-17 18:12:18

The 1% reference refers to the term coined in america after some organization said that 99% of MC club memebers were law abiding citizens. Some members/groups took it on as a badge of honour and coined themselves 1%ers.

Gammeldragz Fri 20-Oct-17 18:12:40

Sorry, x post

bastardkitty Fri 20-Oct-17 18:13:03

MC Hammer? Hammer time. Woh oh.

HarleyQuinnHair Fri 20-Oct-17 18:18:02

grin

Tiddlywinks63 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:20:20

Would you be happy if it was 4 nights/week, every week?
I certainly wouldn't be happy with him getting a reputation, justified or otherwise, by association.

MichaelFabricantsHair Fri 20-Oct-17 18:24:31

You mean when I see large groups of motorcyclists each December, all dressed up as Santa for charity, they might be high on crack?! shockgrin

seasidesally Fri 20-Oct-17 18:28:49

blimey 4 nights a week,what do they do that takes up so much time ??

every day a school day for me on MNsmile

themightybanhammer Fri 20-Oct-17 18:29:54

I would think the commitment while prospecting may be more than 2-4 nights a week until such time as his commitment to the club has been tested and been proven to be greater than anything else

If he is serious and it's a well known support club for a main MC his commitment should be tested to prove the club comes before anything and everything else (including you)

MotorcycleWife Fri 20-Oct-17 18:32:00

MichaelFabricantsHair 😂 our local Santa Run is usually separate from the MCs, so it'll be more the holier-than-thou peeps like me 🤣

4 nights... No idea. Perhaps they should start a choir, that would be good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now