Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Fuck me, class whatsapp group and reception-wide Facebook group

(27 Posts)
BasinHaircut Fri 20-Oct-17 17:11:24

Is this going to get out of hand? I hate the thought of being linked on social media to ALL of the reception parents at DS’s school.

I can just about cope with the class-specific whatsapp group as long as it doesn’t get out of hand and is used for school business only (not hours of inane chat), but a Facebook group? What for?

SwedishEdith Fri 20-Oct-17 17:16:13

Don't join it. I wouldn't go near it.

namechange567765 Fri 20-Oct-17 17:16:27

It’s really handy for reminders about dress up days/letters you forgot about/cake sale reminders etc.

My kids would miss bits here and there if the fb group hadn’t done a reminder.

Daffydil Fri 20-Oct-17 17:19:47

Our class whatsapp is very handy and friendly. But there are only 13 of us, and I've not noticed any cliquey crap going on.

brilliantslight Fri 20-Oct-17 17:21:22

Our whatsapp class group is a nightmare. confusedIt is dominated by a couple of passive aggressive controlling mums who suffocate the group amd have to be involved in every single update. They are just awful!

SoupDragon Fri 20-Oct-17 17:22:11

DD's Y7 parents whatsapp group has been very useful for checking times, trying to track down lost property and explaining homework.

vvviola Fri 20-Oct-17 17:31:53

If your settings are properly locked down, just because you are in the same FB group doesn't mean they Will see everything else you post. And you can mute the group so that you only see it when you go to check in on it.

Like others have said I have found both the FB group and the WhatsApp groups quite useful. But then we've had no drama at all on ours (and the WhatsApp group in particular was very useful when schools were closed this week due to ex-hurricane Ophelia, and my power/Wi-Fi went - WhatsApp messages came through with updates on the few times my data signal was strong enough)

ILoveUsernames Fri 20-Oct-17 17:39:08

How on earth do you all have a WhatsApp group? Do you have to exchange numbers with all the parents in reception?

DesperatelySeeking2016 Fri 20-Oct-17 17:44:17

There is a woman in my child’s year R WhatsApp that is driving me fucking insane. She treats us all like imbeciles and is constantly giving us ‘helpful’ reminders about 2 seconds after the school have sent a ParentMail (a double whammy because she also updates the FB group too for those people —fortunate— not on WhatsApp). I feel my blood pressure rise every time she texts - I have never met the poor woman (and I hope I never do!).

WipsGlitter Fri 20-Oct-17 17:48:40

I find our class WhatsApp useful for updates and homework stuff and quick questions.

gamerwidow Fri 20-Oct-17 17:48:47

Don’t join it then it’s not compulsory. I find the fb group useful for finding out about class collections and stuff that I wouldn’t normally get to here about because I’m not at school for pick up.
I’m not actually FB friends with most of the group so no invasion of privacy. Wouldn’t want a WhatsApp group though. That seems far more intrusive.

VioletCharlotte Fri 20-Oct-17 17:49:39

I wish Facebook had been a thing when my kids were little, what a nice, easy way to get to know people. Makes it much easier to get in touch with people for parties, etc as well. You can always ignore if it becomes annoying. We've always had a Facebook group for DS football team parents. So much easier to keep in touch with what's going on.

Kaffiene Fri 20-Oct-17 17:56:11

Our year group FB group is a lifecsaver, especially as they get older and are supposed to be better at organising themselves!! The great thing is that you don’t have to be “friends” with anyone in the group to post or see their posts. It also doesn’t show up in your timeline so non school people aren’t bothered by it.
Not sure I could cope with a whatsapp group though - doesn’t it get really complicated . At least with FB you have posts and replies about each topic.

brilliantslight Fri 20-Oct-17 18:03:14

Yes Desperately we have one of those! grin

Crunchymum Fri 20-Oct-17 18:07:48

Well surely it is cliquey Daffy unless there are on my 13 kids in the class?

Crunchymum Fri 20-Oct-17 18:08:03

* only

BluthsFrozenBananas Fri 20-Oct-17 18:12:10

Our class Facebook page got shut down after a face book spat spiralled out of control, cyber bullying of children by adults occurred, the head teacher had to call in the police and a parent was permanently banned from school grounds.

I do suspect that this is pretty much a worst case scenario though.

MsPassepartout Fri 20-Oct-17 18:23:08

There’s a Facebook group (but no WhatsApp group) for DS1’s class at primary school.

Posts tend to be about mundane stuff like missing uniform, checking what homework is set, queries about class / school events. No requirement for all the parents to be FB friends or anything like that either.

MsPassepartout Fri 20-Oct-17 18:28:01

Although on reflection, 2 of the kids in DS1’s class are the children of teachers at the school, and their teacher parents are in the class FB group - so maybe that puts people off posting anything other than the mundane stuff?

BasinHaircut Fri 20-Oct-17 18:38:40

On reflection maybe the Facebook group is preferable to the whatsapp! I hadn’t thought if it like that.

Whatsapp has already had about 50 messages do nice I was added to it yesterday morning. Mostly school-relevant so far but quite a lot of pointless replies IYSWIM.

WipsGlitter Fri 20-Oct-17 18:42:52

We had a few people leave that WhatsApp prob due to feeling there were too many messages but only one or two. And one flounce shock

elektrawoman Fri 20-Oct-17 18:52:24

Our Y1 class Whatsapp group is really friendly and helpful. We post letters and messages from school, because the letters sometimes don't make it home (particularly the children who go to clubs after school seem to lose them!) plus all the little reminders. Lots of parents have said it's been a lifesaver.

For the Facebook group - surely they wouldn't be able to see your Facebook page anyway if you aren't Friends with them?

elektrawoman Fri 20-Oct-17 18:54:50

Oh and lots of people who complain about Whatsapp constantly pinging don't seem to realise that you can mute groups.

fucksakefay Fri 20-Oct-17 18:56:35

I'm in three whatsapp groups for my three kids. All useful info and nice to keep in touch for working parents. I mute the pings though
There are a couple of years who have Facebook pages but I think most are now on whatsapp, there is a PA Facebook page used for school reminders and lost property and local activities.

This week messages have been about a mums night out, lost property, discussion over whether the nursery class were participating in a school event and a reminder to bring stuff on for harvest assembly

fucksakefay Fri 20-Oct-17 18:58:12

Also very handy for
I'm year rep for one class and collected numbers and circulated a spreadsheet with contact details at the start of term. It was voluntary to put details down and I said they were to be shared, everyone did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now