Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anyone has EMDR?

(25 Posts)
Meow34 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:18:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Copperkettles Fri 20-Oct-17 15:18:40

Yes I had it. It really helped. I could probably do with having more.

Meow34 Fri 20-Oct-17 16:53:54

SummerKelly Fri 20-Oct-17 17:07:59

Yes I have. Mixed for me. I found it difficult to follow the lights and think at the same time (!) so my therapist used buzzers instead, and I could only do a bit at a time before my brain shut off, I think it helped a bit, but I wasn’t remembering a distinct trauma, more a childhood that felt a long time ago and was perpetually traumatic, which I think made it harder.

Meow34 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:38:21

QueenieMum Fri 20-Oct-17 19:46:57

I had it and it worked really well for me. My traumatic memories now feel like they're where they should be and are no longer part of my everyday life. I found it weird and sometimes frightening but ultimately it helped so it was worth it. I felt really daft doing it too! Not only does it require you to process memories in / from your head you need to 'feel' where the memory is in your body (mine were mainly in my throat, tummy & shoulders). That takes a bit of tuning in to and was very weird to me.

I had a really good relationship with my therapist which helped a lot. It hasn't helped as much as ai thought it would which makes me think I should have more therapy such as CBT but I'm too scared to ask.

I'd say throw yourself into it and see how you go. Good luck!

SummerKelly Fri 20-Oct-17 21:14:37

I read up about it and found some studies found it effective and some didn’t. One theory about the left right thing is that it enables different parts of your brain to connect up to process the memories. I’m not sure it worked for me in that way, but it did provide a structure to revisit some stuff.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 20-Oct-17 21:22:13

DS1 had a course of this.

Difficult to tell how effective it was.

Something that might be useful for anyone about to start: After each session he was completely exhausted and needed to come home and sleep for a couple of hours.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 20-Oct-17 21:23:44

I've just remembered that they also gave him a CD to listen to between sessions. He said it sounded like chillout tracks designed for Daleks.

TheUterati Fri 20-Oct-17 21:23:54

It worked extremely well for me. I came to it with severe PTSD as a result of a traumatic birth, severe birth injuries, and the experience of all the treatment and surgery I needed.

I am more given to intellectual and rational ways of looking at things, so I was sceptical that a technique like this that aims to get under the radar, so to speak, and get to those areas of consciousness that rationality and logic cannot reach, woudl work. But it did. At the best of times I get performance anxiety and worried a lot that I wouldn't be able to do it 'right'. But that ended up not being an issue.

I think different therapists use different methods. Mine used eyetracking by following her moving hand holding a pen for the re-processing stuff. For the more 'chill out' stuff - trying to get me less anxious about something to do with treatment that was coming up, she used buzzing pebbles, one held in each hand.

Other than working through the issues, she also used some guided imagery, but very much led by me, rather than it being an image imposed upon me that I was supposed to engage with.

I really did find it excellent. I am so so so much better. I still avoid stuff to do with childbirth and you would not catch me watching One Born Every Minute. But I think the worst that would happen is that I would get very upset, but then be fine afterwards. I no longer have triggers in the real sense of the word.

I would definitely recommend it.

OohAahBird Fri 20-Oct-17 21:27:40

Yes I would recommend it but you do need to connect with your therapist, or not actively dislike them but I think that is true for all therapy

Meow34 Fri 20-Oct-17 22:47:41

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 20-Oct-17 22:58:07

Considering the circumstances, I think they'd understand if you phone up and request a female therapist.

Hope it's helpful for you.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Fri 20-Oct-17 23:06:31

My sister had EDMR treatment for sexual assault and rape - it really helped with the trauma although she has other mental health problems which complicate matters.

Her experience certainly involved talking to the therapist for a few sessions before the EDMR treatment - I would think that would usually be the case as the therapist would need to understand the background first. You should certainly request a female therapist but also the talking phase should give you a chance to make sure you are comfortable with the therapist.

Meow34 Fri 20-Oct-17 23:30:07

TheUterati Sat 21-Oct-17 10:02:42

Good luck Meow.

tangledyarn Sat 21-Oct-17 10:19:45

I've had it for childhood trauma and found it useful. I also struggled initally so used the buzzers so I could have my eyes closed which was helpful. I found the resourcing at the beginning of therapy helpful (lots of grounding/safe place type stuff) There's some good evidence emerging of its effectiveness particularly used in conjunction with more traditional trauma focused CBT. I'm a CBT therapist a lot of my colleagues also use emdr now.

tangledyarn Sat 21-Oct-17 10:22:22

Meow..you should definitely check that its a female therapist if thats what you need...a lot of people do smile

ScarlettDarling Sat 21-Oct-17 17:22:20

I had just one session of it. It really didn't suit me. I felt vaguely ridiculous moving my eyes from side to side and couldn't stop myself from moving my head and body too. The therapist kept telling me to stay still and I could feel hysterical laughter welling up inside of me. The therapist concluded that perhaps it wasn't for me and referred me for cbt instead!

chocolateworshipper Sat 21-Oct-17 21:50:12

Haven't had it myself, but have known 2 people who had it. One had PTSD - served out in Iraq and seen friends blown up. Both people found it helped.

MagentaRocks Sat 21-Oct-17 21:52:06

One of my staff has had this. She said it has been great and the difference in her is amazing. You can just tell how much better she is just looking at her.

Meow34 Sat 21-Oct-17 22:13:30

PeasAndHarmony Sat 21-Oct-17 22:39:19

I work with people who suffer from PTSD and most of-those who have had this treatment found it has helped a lot.

I hope it helps you x

ScarlettDarling Sat 21-Oct-17 23:14:39

Can I just add to my post above, I haven't got PTSD which is what I've heard it is most effective for. I really don't think that it was the right treatment for me and my anxiety issues.

Meow34 Sat 21-Oct-17 23:50:46

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now