Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is this normal for Year 7 or could something else be going on?

(30 Posts)
Whistle73 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:26:39

In two weeks at school my DD11 has lost:

One pair of glasses
One entire PE bag of kit
A school skirt
An unworn PE fleece
A PE skort
A PE top

The PE top was lost first and then recovered, a few days later her entire PE bag disappeared from a pile in the hall and was missing for three days.

When it was subsequently found, the fleece (which has never been worn) and skort were missing from it. The skort made its way back to lost property two days later but the fleece is still AWOL.

On Monday her glasses went missing - these have been found in Lost Property today after I went into school.

Then finally yesterday she went to get changed after PE and her actual school skirt had disappeared off the peg (NB. only have her word that it was on the peg). Luckily one other girl had a spare skirt in her bag and let her wear it home.

This could be totally normal for a year 7 at secondary school but she was never like this at primary school and is generally pretty organised and mature for her age.

After she told me about the skirt disappearing I couldn't help thinking someone might be hiding her stuff on purpose.

Am I overthinking this and is everyone else's year 7s all merrily losing stuff day after day too?

VeganIan Fri 20-Oct-17 12:55:15

Mine is has also lost as much stuff. It's not helped that lost property is only open twice a week, and he's scared of talking to the office staff. Never a problem at primary, possibly because I was there 3 times a day from drop off and could talk to the office myself, search Lost Property and/or send in another sibling to search. It's on my list for tutor evening, because it's not just the losing stuff, it's the not making any effort to find it which bothers me. Well, it all bothers me tbh, but if he's not talking to his form tutor to ask what to do, and then not talking to whoever is supposed to help, then what's going on in the classroom when he doesn't get something?

On the plus side I have learnt the lost property sells PE tops for 20p. They are £15 in the uniform shop. Just need to get him to the office now grin

Whistle73 Fri 20-Oct-17 13:28:54

Thanks Veganian - I feel reassured it's not just us! I never had this at all with elder DD

VeganIan Fri 20-Oct-17 14:03:21

Me neither, unfortunately DC1 will not help out with finding things as "no one ever did it for me" hmm

KittyVonCatsington Fri 20-Oct-17 14:09:56

Every day, I have multiple PE kits, glasses, USB memory sticks, pens, umbrellas and even coats left in my classroom. Even after saying at the end of every lesson, "check you have everything with you'". Very very few re-trace their steps and come back to claim.
Every single day.

I see Lost Property a lot!

So yes, I'd say definitely normal.

MrsOverTheRoad Fri 20-Oct-17 14:14:24

My DD aged 13 isn't like this but DD aged 10 is and I can see her continuing on! She loses so much stuff...glasses, music, books, entire bags, hats, jumpers. Drives me mad!

She gets very involved in play or chatting and just puts things on the floor outside!

AJPTaylor Fri 20-Oct-17 14:16:39

the skirt would make me think twice. who was the girl with the spare skirt in her bag? that was lucky!

VeganIan Fri 20-Oct-17 14:19:27

Every day, I have multiple PE kits, glasses, USB memory sticks, pens, umbrellas and even coats left in my classroom

Kitty... and that's just my DC grin Do they ever grow out of it? When? What changes their behaviour?

MrsFantastic Fri 20-Oct-17 14:24:12

I don't think it's really normal to lose so much stuff. It could be other kids hiding her stuff maliciously or "for a laugh".

You say she wasn't disorganised at primary. There's a lot more to take care of secondary, but I don't see why she'd suddenly become disorganised.

underkerstumbled Fri 20-Oct-17 14:29:18

Yes, there might be something else going on. The skirt disappearing during a PE lesson makes me think that there's something afoot here.

Some kids think it's 'funny' to do this sort of thing to someone on purpose. And when things go missing, it is always the new stuff that doesn't turn up again.

halcyondays Fri 20-Oct-17 15:04:12

It seems strange if it never happened at primary school.

Flicketyflack Fri 20-Oct-17 15:11:00

Early days at Secondary and its nearly half term so she is probably tired!
Such a change of pace at Secondary so be kind.
My dd, who remembered everything in primary, forgot PE kit a couple of times.
Year 8 they are like different kids, in a good way smile

Whistle73 Fri 20-Oct-17 16:38:46

It was definitely the skirt that rang alarm bells with me and then I suddenly started to think about all the other instances that I'd just shrugged and accepted.

She literally stood there in the changing rooms and asked everyone to check their PE bags to find it but no-one apparently did. She also swore it was put on a peg.

AJPTaylor (great name by the way! I remember reading the Origins of the Second World War religiously at school!)

Yes it was really lucky that one girl had a spare skirt - it happens when they go home in their PE kit from clubs and the previous day's skirt stays stuffed in the PE bag.

Well, its half term now so I shall see if this pattern continues next term. The fleece is really annoying - £15 and never been worn and its been missing a fortnight now so I doubt I'll ever get that back now.

Flicketyflack Fri 20-Oct-17 18:25:08

My daughter ‘lost’ her PE skirt & I had put it in her brothers PE kit so don’t jump to conclusions confused

HarleyQuinnHair Fri 20-Oct-17 18:28:48

Sounds like the fleece has been nicked to me.

AnyFucker Fri 20-Oct-17 18:32:08

Sorry, no...doesn't sound normal

For year 3/4 maybe

For year 7 I would be having some gentle probing chats to make sure there is no bullying situation

AuditAngel Fri 20-Oct-17 19:24:48

Sounds similar to DS in year 7. He lost a cost, turned back up in the first couple of weeks of year 9!

Ultimately he still has all his PE kit, but it was very stressful.

RainbowPastel Fri 20-Oct-17 19:25:18

It does seem a lot. Mine has lost a memory stick, pencil case and tie. Whole PE kit disappeared for 5 months but reappeared unworn. No idea where it had been.

pilates Fri 20-Oct-17 19:40:06

Yes, my DS has lost his brand new jumper and then next day he said he found it and it’s not his, badly faded and a hole in it. He said it was in his bag but I only have his word for it. I’m not going to get it back because I forgot to write his name in it. Very annoying and not the first time! Lots of other stuff gone missing too.

TeenTimesTwo Fri 20-Oct-17 19:40:57

DD1 didn't lose anything in secondary.

DD2 in y7 lost (on separate occasions): PE shirt, PE socks (which had survived 5 years with DD1 first), jogging bottoms and I think also tracksuit top. All had name tapes sewed in but miraculously didn't make their way to lost property ...

Islingtonschoolsquestion Fri 20-Oct-17 19:41:28

At DSs (private boys) school kids that do after school sport activities must bring their PE kit or they get a detention. Often boys will take somebody else's things and discard them after the activity/pe lesson. Can it be the case at your daughter's school to? My son's things also used to go missing until I wrote his name with a marker on the front of his top.

trollarama Fri 20-Oct-17 19:41:53

Bleach pens are your friend.

After dd lost her second school jumper at £20 a go I lost my rag, made her pay for it and then took a bleach pen to the rest of her school uniform.

We haven't lost any since.

honeymoonpyjamas Fri 20-Oct-17 19:42:47

Seems a bit much. My son has to my surprise just lost a water bottle so far.

Daisymay2 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:59:54

I would be suspicious- someone's idea of a joke possibly but an unlabelled fleece might have been tempting. The skirt might turn up either when things are washed at home or it finds its way to lost property. DS2 lost stuff -particularly on the school bus due to a bully hiding them till he was banned from the bus due to an incident not involving DS. A phone and library books were never found. However he is also dyslexic with processing and organisational issues. Managed to leave his bag on a train in the Summer which he eventually got back intact.
Slightly off point, but my DSs school had a policy of name tapes being sewn on the outside of the PE kit ( inspecified places) - it was easy to spot someone with "borrowed" kit!

CrumpettyTree Sat 21-Oct-17 18:40:15

It sounds like someone is taking stuff.
It's strange that someone would take a spare school skirt to school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now