Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Toddler friendly meals

(45 Posts)
cjt110 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:46:50

So, with all he will in the world, our son won't eat a fair portion o what we make at home - Chilli, curry, pizza, etc. I'm at a loss of trying to think of meals that we could include him in but I am pretty certain he wont eat.

Do you all cook something different/separate for your toddler? I've found we've ended up making him "party" plates with a selection of foodstuff on that he can pick from and graze. These might include a bit of pasta, some veg, some fruit, a yogurt, some crisps.

Some days he will demolish a meal like spag bol that we all have. Others he will turn his nose up at tuna pasta bake saying he doesnt like it.

If anyone can think of some meals that are a real hit with your LOs that work for your family a a whole, I'd appreciate you sharing them. Apparently he we eats fantastically at nursery so I am going to speak to his keyworker and ask which meals he seems to like the best and try and incoporate those into our menu.

cjt110 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:53:17

So, with all he will in the world, our son won't eat a fair portion o what we make at home - Chilli, curry, pizza, etc. Meant to read....

So, with all the will in the world, our son won't eat what we make at home - Chilli, curry, pizza, etc.

Nightfall1983 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:54:04

How old is your toddler? Mine always loved: cottage pie, roast (any meat), simple meat (pork chop/lamb chop/sausage/chicken leg) grilled served with veg and whatever potato. Pasta and meatballs. Plain baked fish served with anything.

He is five now and less fussy though there are some hangovers - he still dislikes anything spicy or in sauce. If we are doing curry/stirfry/Mexican I cook him a plain version alongside. So he will have say chicken leg baked in foil plus the rice and naan from our curry and I will do some veg for him. Or before I cook our stir-fry I will fry up some of the pork/beef strips and veg for him, and grab him some noodles before adding the sauce/spice. Same with tacos / fajhitas where he has the meat and veg with no sauce and usually has ketchup instead of salsa smile I feel better doing it that way because I don't feel like in making two meals (and we all eat together) smile

cjt110 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:58:08

He's 3 Nightfall1983

He pretty much won't eat any meat which is I suppose where I get stuck as our diet is meat based. Your chap sounds like a dream!

He had a dairy allergy until about 6 months ago so his diet was limited and perhaps, as a result, he limits things himself too? We called him a megan, as opposed to vegan, for a long time!

He likes dry cooked pasta.
He likes fruit.
He is funny with anything lumpy - eg. I gave him some pea and ham soup. Was happy eating it til he got a piece of ham. That was it then. Wouldnt eat any more.

Doje Fri 20-Oct-17 12:00:11

Quiche is always a hit in our house, home made pizza features weekly. Stuffed peppers are a surprise favourite. Also tray bake chicken - in the oven with sweet potato, normal potato, pepper, any veg you have leftover. I add spice for us, but not for DS. Sausage stew - lots of veg and beans. I made leek tart last night - a sheet of puff pastry and on top some cooked leeks, bacon, dollop of creme fraiche and 2 beaten eggs, all mixed together.

Doje Fri 20-Oct-17 12:00:11

Quiche is always a hit in our house, home made pizza features weekly. Stuffed peppers are a surprise favourite. Also tray bake chicken - in the oven with sweet potato, normal potato, pepper, any veg you have leftover. I add spice for us, but not for DS. Sausage stew - lots of veg and beans. I made leek tart last night - a sheet of puff pastry and on top some cooked leeks, bacon, dollop of creme fraiche and 2 beaten eggs, all mixed together.

Doje Fri 20-Oct-17 12:00:23

Doje Fri 20-Oct-17 12:00:23

Doje Fri 20-Oct-17 12:00:47

Oops! Sorry for the multiple posts!

cjt110 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:01:48

You like Quiche then Doje

Doje Fri 20-Oct-17 12:34:46

blush

HelloCanYouHearMe Fri 20-Oct-17 12:38:37

My 2yo will only eat frozen Annabel Karmel meals at home.

At nursery he digs into what he is given with no fuss. At home, if we give him what we are eating, we get a meltdown

sad

cjt110 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:41:56

Hello We arent much further than that to be honest and if he finishes a meal (think small like poached egg and a slice of toast) it's a miracle.

I'm just getting tired of thinking OK, we're having X, I'll make DS Y.

OhPuddleducks Fri 20-Oct-17 12:44:02

We do a plainer version for our fussy eater (who also has a milk allergy: go figure!) of whatever we are eating. He often decides he doesn’t like something before he’s tasted it and in that scenario we ask him to try three mouthfuls of everything on the plate before he makes up his mind (and often that ends up being a good percentage of the portion). If he still says he doesn’t like it we don’t make a fuss. My eldest was a really fussy eater until about she was about four and a half when she suddenly asked to try my moules frites in a restaurant and from that day on gave everything a go, so we live in hope that it is a phase!

cjt110 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:47:02

OhPuddleducks Good suggestion. Perhaps I could serve say pasta with the sauce on the side, that way he could dip into the sauce and if he doesnt like it, still eat the pasta?

Re: CMPA... It's an arse. After we had gotten over it, DS still had it drummed into him (by nursery) about cheese and wouldnt eat noodles as he was convinced it was grated cheese!

RosyPony Fri 20-Oct-17 12:48:50

We all sit at the table together and eat the same meal,no one is forced to finish it or eat any part they don’t want to. Child or adult.

Just ignore the fussiness, don’t fill them up with snacks and they should eventually just copy parents and try different things.

cjt110 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:49:51

RosyPony We've tried this. He will point blank refuse to eat some food and then later will want something else. We've introduced the food back again and he point blank refuses etc etc

whifflesqueak Fri 20-Oct-17 12:55:23

My 3 year old has been fussy for about a year now.

We all eat the same thing together but he just sits there and stirs it. Often won’t allow a morsel to pass his lips.

He doesn’t get anything else because I think that way madness lies. He never complains about hunger before bed, but does eat whopping breakfasts.

No advice, i’m afraid. But good luck.

cjt110 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:57:53

whifflesqueak Thats reassuring to know as our son eats a huge breakfast too. I am so tempted to do what a colleague mentioned and literally put his whole days food out in front of him and say thats yours for the day. eat when/as you like. I often wonder if at teatime, he just cba as it's around 6pm.

Firstaidnovice Fri 20-Oct-17 13:02:07

One thing I would say is don't be too disheartened. I was in exactly the same position as you, if not worse, at the same age. Just about to start cooking cottage pie for DD who is now 5. She now eats a much broader range of real food than I ever thought possible. When she was 3 she basically existed on scrambled egg and chicken nuggets.
For us, the thing that worked was just relaxing. Let them eat whatever they want and is easiest for everyone for a while. When you introduce new food, don't make a big deal of it, don't comment if they don't eat it etc. It might be different for you, but it had just become a tense battleground for us, and DD quickly cottoned on to all the control she had. Once that had gone, in time, she became willing to try some new things.
Good luck!

HottySnanky Fri 20-Oct-17 13:02:28

A surprise hit this week for our two was cullen skink. They both like fish anyway so thought I'd try it out - it all disappeared and the next day my 4yo asked for "white dinner like we had yesterday". It's quick and easy and you can have it with crusty bread.

They also love chicken balls with finger veg like baby sweetcorn and mange tout. (1 chicken breast, 1 thick slice of wholemeal bread, 1 onion, half a stock cube, teaspoon of tarragon, 1 peeled cored apple, pinch of pepper - whizz in blender, form into balls, roll in flour, shallow fry for 5 mins). Nice to dip in sauces.

We always say "It's ok if you don't like something but it's not ok if you won't try it" and then refer to the Great Mango Revelation, when eldest dd took one look and decided it was Disgusting, was finally persuaded to try it and then declared it The Best Thing I Have Eaten In My Life.

Firstaidnovice Fri 20-Oct-17 13:06:19

Just to add to that, our doctor actually told us (it got really bad for a while!) to actually stop talking about food at all. Pass no comment on food or eating during mealtimes, just make fun chit chat. It was so so hard, but worked really quickly for us. And always make sure there's one food on the table or plate that your child will eat.

Jenacles Fri 20-Oct-17 13:07:25

This is really interesting, as my son had cows milk allergy as well, and he can be fussy.

We have to do him dry pasta, but give him the sauce in the side (which he never tries)

It sounds silly but at the moment we just tell him each meal is gruffalo related. Then he will actually try something (mashed potato last night) and often discovers he likes whatever it is

cjt110 Fri 20-Oct-17 13:35:13

Firstaidnovice Yes, a battle ground. I just worry. He gts a good varied diet but he just seems to have beige crap on his plate.

HottySnanky We had the Mango Revalation but with carrot sticks!

Jenacles I wonder why they seem to be related (CMPA and fussiness)? Good idea re saying it's related... I could try that with paw patrol or lego

OhPuddleducks Fri 20-Oct-17 13:39:31

cjt110, it does work quite well. We try and put one thing on the plate that we know he likes too and that way if we don’t think he’s full we can say suggest he just finish that. It doesn’t always work but it makes us feel like we’re making it work for him. Also someone once told me (on here I think!) that you should count what they eat across the week rather than meal by meal or day by day - often it’s more than you think, especially if he’s good with breakfast.

(And thanks for the comment on the CMA - it’s been a steep learning curve for us so always nice when you hear about someone who’s DC has grown out of it like the docs promise!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now