Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why does she not want to sleep with us!

(21 Posts)
Shouldnotwouldnot Fri 20-Oct-17 11:00:04

You know how people moan that their children are always in their bed? Well my 2 year old is the complete opposite!

She had NEVER slept in bed with us and, in fact seems to hate it. This morning she woke early crying so we thought ‘oh wouldn't it be lovely to snuggle with her for 1/2 hour’ and brought her into our bed. Two minutes later she starts shouting ‘bed bed’ and demanded to go back to hers!

Anyone else have a child that rejects night time snuggles!!!!?

ElasticatedJeans Fri 20-Oct-17 11:20:24

Bless her. My DS was like this. I used to ask him if he wanted to get into my bed and he used to say “no thank you mummy”.

I had a friend whose DS would not sleep without her. By the time he was 7 she was sick of it but it was difficult to get him to sleep alone.

Fairylightsandwine Fri 20-Oct-17 11:26:07

Yes my 2yo DS is exactly the same! It's actually a bit gutting. Same as you, I've tried to bring him in for lovely snuggles and he hates it, whinges and moans. I put him back in his bed and he snuggles down happy as anything. My Mum said I was exactly the same as a baby!

TempStamos Fri 20-Oct-17 11:31:36

Yes! My eldest would shout at me if I even tried to sit on her bed to read her a story, I used to sneak in when she was asleep for a cuddle. She is now 22 and will finally sleep in the same bed as me! Did cause problems with my next child though, as I let him sleep with me every night and it was much more of a pain needing to still try and get a then nearly 8 year old to spend the whole night in his own bed.

didnthappeninmyday Fri 20-Oct-17 11:32:59

Be glad, I had both of mine in my bed until the oldest was about 10, and they used to argue over who was going to sleep in the middle so I’d end up in the middle. Fortunately they were both really heavy sleepers so I could move them around when they started taking up too much room.

Cracklesfire Fri 20-Oct-17 11:43:41

My DS is the same - he's never slept the night in our bed. Even when he's not well he'd rather we sat with him in the glider chair for cuddles before going into his cot again than come to our bed. It does make me a wee bit sad sometimes.

Frouby Fri 20-Oct-17 11:47:13

My dd was the same. Refused point blank to share a bed with me once she was past 2.

But we co slept for the first 2 years due to circumstances.

I was pleased at first. However she was then ill and I realised it's a lot easier to bed share with a poorly child than sleep in their bedroom floor as she refused my bed and wouldnt let me in hers. Contrary little thing she was.

She is still contrary now at 13.

BluthsFrozenBananas Fri 20-Oct-17 11:56:10

My DD was like that, I remember once putting her in bed with me because she was ill, after about ten minutes she asked to go back to her own bed.

The snuggles would have been nice, but I think in the long night run I’m glad she never got in the habit of sleeping with me.

Shouldnotwouldnot Fri 20-Oct-17 12:15:24

She’s very affectionate and loves snuggling in the day. By night she just wants her own space. I should be grateful I get my whole bed I guess (apart from a sprawling husband)

tinymeteor Fri 20-Oct-17 12:34:09

Yep, mine. It's a flipping result if you ask me.

HottySnanky Fri 20-Oct-17 12:45:19

Mine too!

Not sad about it. Not even a little bit. My bed is mine! (Oh, and dh's, I guess).

FlooOOOooomplet Fri 20-Oct-17 12:49:33

At least you can rest in the knowledge you won’t ever have to wake at 3am with toddler vomit in your hair.

MrsWombat Fri 20-Oct-17 12:51:49

My now 9 year old was the same as a toddler. Refused to sleep in our bed even when poorly. He went through a stage about a year ago when he wanted to sleep in our bed as the toddler was in there as well, but he soon got bored of being kicked in the head.

Anticyclone Fri 20-Oct-17 12:57:35

Christ almighty, what are your other problems? A purse that is too small for all your £50 notes, and diamond shoes which are a bit too tight? (God I love misquoting Chandler Bing). grin

These are the bitter words of a parent with a 3yo who has never slept all night alone in their bed for a single day of their life. And and 8mo siblings who looks to be similar....

You've won at parenting!

juneau Fri 20-Oct-17 12:59:26

My DC do not and have never slept in my bed. I am delighted! I have a friend whose 9-year-old still frequently ends up in her bed and her DH has to go in his. I know which I prefer ....

upthewolves Fri 20-Oct-17 13:05:47

My 2 year old has never slept in our bed. Like you, we have tried it occasionally when she has been poorly or unsettled and it isn't that she doesn't like it, she just doesn't sleep. She faffs about, rearranges all the pillows, tries to pat me to sleep the same way I do to her (her patting is more like whacking!) And eventually just gets silly and ends up jumping all over us!

ColinCreevey Fri 20-Oct-17 15:01:45

I've got one DC like this, he has never ever slept in our bed even when he's been poorly and I've brought him in he takes himself back to bed. He loves his space and hates being cuddled up with people when he sleeps. 2 yesr old rarely stays in her bed the whole night and turns up most nights to cuddle up to her dad. I don't really mind either way as we have a super king and it's still comfy. I don't think I'd like it in a smaller bed.

SierraFerrara Fri 20-Oct-17 15:08:28

Bless her.
She just wants her own space that's all. Or just finds your bed/sleeping arrangements uncomfortable. My daughter likes snuggling up for a bit but then says it's too hot and she feels claustrophobic so toddles off to her bed.
If you want night time snuggles you could try cuddling up in her bed?

Shouldnotwouldnot Fri 20-Oct-17 17:51:24

She’s in a cot sierra so it’d be a tight squeeze!

Notonthestairs Fri 20-Oct-17 18:24:37

Yup, I had one like that. The second one however, would only go to sleep whilst holding my face in her hands. It was a long couple of years....

Deploycharitygoats Fri 20-Oct-17 18:48:18

After months of DS1 only sleeping propped up on me (bastard reflux), he won't sleep in our bed, or even let me linger when I'm putting him to bed. I tried to do a second round of lullabies last week because he looked so cute and dopey, and he shooed me out with "away please, it's time to sleep."

Driven to the point of insanity with tiredness new mum me would not have believed it possible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now