Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Awful interview experience

(46 Posts)
Aprildaisie Fri 20-Oct-17 10:21:40

Has anyone ever had a really bad interview experience?

I had a horrible one earlier this week and although logically I know I wouldn't have wanted to work there anyway, I just still feel a bit rubbish about it!

Caulk Fri 20-Oct-17 10:27:40

I had a truly terrible one. I got the job.

I had another truly terrible one. I didn’t get the job.

Aprildaisie Fri 20-Oct-17 10:28:47

Okay ... what point are you making? That I might get the job? I won't; I've already been told hmm

Katsite Fri 20-Oct-17 10:30:47

It’s an experience from which you can learn a lot. I know it stings but take a lesson from it for the next one.

Aprildaisie Fri 20-Oct-17 10:35:46

Hmm, not really! You know the sort of interviews where it is apparent that you won't get the job and you come out feeling a bit humiliated?

Don't get me wrong, I have had unsuccessful interviews before (hasn't everyone!) Sometimes, I have genuinely felt that my application was appreciated and I felt valued as an individual and although disappointed, had positives to take away and things to work on. But a handful of times, like Tuesday, I've just felt awful.

I did get one yesterday so not all is lost, yet to my surprise my pleasure is slightly marred by tuesdays experience.

Caulk Fri 20-Oct-17 10:37:29

I wasn’t making a point, but I also wasn’t sure what point you were making as it didn’t look like you were wanting people to share stories of their experiences.

Sometimes it does go badly, and at least in this situation you can be sure that you didn’t want the job, great. Keep going and interviewing for other stuff

CrowOnTheBroom Fri 20-Oct-17 10:40:15

My very worst one I've never shared before - I was young, it was for a Saturday job in Boots. Wore a smart white shirt. I popped to the loo before being called in and decided to change my sanitary towel. Sat on the loo I bent down to reach my handbag on the floor and just like that, the collar of my lovely white shirt pressed onto the dirty sanitary towel I hadn't yet removed. God it was awful, I didn't know what to do apart from try to sponge it out, had nothing on apart from a bra underneath so couldn't change. I'm cringing just thinking about it.
I did the stupid interview which was made worse by the fact that me and another candidate had to interview each other in front of a panel. It was AWFUL.
Didn't get the job, funnily enough.

LapinR0se Fri 20-Oct-17 10:45:08

I got lost and turned up 40 mins late to a day assessment centre thing. And then felt so panicky and awful that I misread the instructions and did a completely wrong presentation. It was like a nightmare

Nettletheelf Fri 20-Oct-17 10:47:28

Poor you Crow, how awful!

I can reassure you, OP, that many people have terrible interview experiences. Especially me.

I've told this one before here, but I was interviewed for a role by a woman who kept saying, "Is that all you've got? You're going to have to do better than that to impress me, the money you're asking for." It got worse. She let two massive dogs into the room and told me that she could tell a lot about the quality of candidates by what the dogs thought of them. I have not made this up.

The dogs must have given me mixed feedback because I was out on the street not long after. I managed to hold the tears back until I got around the corner, at which point a mentally ill man started shouting at me and followed me back to my car yelling abuse at me for crying. Whereupon I found a parking ticket. That put me off interviews for a long time!

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 20-Oct-17 10:53:43

I had an interview for promotion last week, half an hour after speaking to DH's cancer nurse about the results of his biopsy. I was already not in the right state of mind for the interview but DH didn't want his diagnosis to limit my aspirations so I went for it.

I walked in the room, sat down and burst into tears. I explained I'd had some bad news, they offered to postpone but I wanted to carry on. I went through the interview on autopilot, couldn't get my words out, then waffled, knew I wasn't getting to the point but kept losing the thread. I knew I had failed.

I was given feedback this week. They said that I performed well and if I hadn't said I had had bad news it wouldn't have been apparent I was upset. I didn't get it but nobody did, and they want me to apply again when they readvertise as they think that I could perform even better if my head is in the right place. They wanted to appoint me and I was on the cusp but didn't quite hit one of the competencies.

Overall I was surprised and pleased but then I wonder how awful the other candidates must have been to not be better than me!

DJBaggySmallpox Fri 20-Oct-17 11:03:30

In my last job interview I was told it was highly unlikely that any of the other candidates they had left to interview would be a better fit or more qualified, and could I definitely start on Monday.
I did not get the job and they would not tell me why.

SundayLunchHappy Fri 20-Oct-17 11:07:25

I usually find awful interviews tend to be the tone set by the interviewer rather than the poor candidate. I've probably held more interviews than I've attended as an applicant as per the nature of my previous job.

I was taught that the candidate should "lead" the meeting and using that method resulted in actually learning lots more about a person than following set completely crap competency based questions. That way, even if someone went away and I knew right off that they weren't suitable, they hadn't had a negative experience and proper feedback was sent with the decision.

I have had one interview myself whereby I felt like the two people interviewing me just wanted to pick random questions about company policy I'd be unlikely to know to "catch me out". Therefore to me, awful interviews are usually down to the 'host'.

Hope you're feeling better about it now and something comes along for you soon!

Will get off my soapbox now blush

Aprildaisie Fri 20-Oct-17 11:07:49

AndNone flowers

Mrsmadevans Fri 20-Oct-17 11:31:38

It happens and it is sickening when it does
My dd had an interview for about 45 mins and they were so interested etc etc you can imagine what we thought that she would definitely get it .
She was devastated when she didn't get it
since then she has got every job she applied for it did her good the feedback was she wasn't at all confidant and hadn't had enough experience.
so .......put it to good use make the rejection work for you my dear and good luck in the future

didnthappeninmyday Fri 20-Oct-17 11:44:00

I had one at a school and we had to wait for 30 minutes for on if the prefects to give us a tour of the school and grounds which took another 30 minutes, then we were taken to the library where I had to wait for another hour whilst the 2 other applicants had their interviews and then I was eventually seen. They asked really weird questions none of which seemed to relate to the job which was working in the office.

When they phoned to tell me I hadn’t got the job they decided to give me feedback and said that the person interviewed first had seemed more eager as she sat forward on the seat and had her elbows on the table where as I had sat with my legs crossed 😂

Complete and utter waste of a day off

Nettletheelf Fri 20-Oct-17 14:52:26

Oh well, if you were SITTING wrong. That's number one on the list of interview no nos.

(Not really. What a bunch of arse and a waste of your time!)

FrannySalinger Fri 20-Oct-17 14:59:10

I had a car crash of an interview earlier this year and the worst thing was it was for an internal position. A senior role so I was being interviewed by members of the Board and I completely fucked it up. It was truly awful, I couldn’t face any of them afterwards and am still cringing months later.

However! Following this shameful incident I was approached by a rival company. I interviewed very well in front of their directors, to the extent they offered me a better role at a 20% salary increase. Which I accepted.

Chin up. There will be many more opportunities. wine and cake for you.

furryelephant Fri 20-Oct-17 15:07:36

I had an awful interview this morning. Tempted to just turn my phone off forever and ignore the inevitable rejection call sad

FindingNemoandDory Fri 20-Oct-17 15:15:30

Not interviews but I make a tit of myself in meetings often enough! I always tell myself in a week everyone/I will have forgotten and it always fades away!

GeekLove Fri 20-Oct-17 16:09:32

Nettletheelf that is appalling! What was the job for? You had a lucky escape thete. Of they can fuck up the interview process like that think about all the other stuff they'll screw up too.

WoooooOfOnesGroan Fri 20-Oct-17 16:24:30

I once had a prospective boss tell me at an interview that I'd be unlikely to make it in my chosen career field and should consider other avenues of work because I showed a lack of talent.

I am now in a very similar, related field, using that exact "lack of talent" every day, making 3x what that job offered -- and interviewing for jobs that pay double what I make now!

Laiste Fri 20-Oct-17 16:47:09

I've had loads of interviews and always got the job (god knows why, i'm no mover and shaker) except one time. It was cringy.

I can talk to people easily, i like talking, but have a habit of starting to answer questions a little before i've really decided on my answer. On this occasion it bit me on the arse. I was asked something, can't even remember what, which i not only found tricky to answer but had no opinion on at all and so just began to talk hoping inspiration would come to me by the end of the sentence:

''Well, on the face of it, and at the end of the day, the real issue lies in the fact that, when there's no other ... y'know ... reason to think differently, it's more than likely that deep down i have to admit, and this isn't always a popular opinion, but it's important to be honest here, that the crux of the matter is that when you know in yourself that the chips are down ......... er ......<tumble weed> blushblush''

WHAT THE FUCK was the bloody question??

I'll never forget it and it's taught me to be honest and ask for clarification or be honest and say sorry.i.do.not.know grin

GallicosCats Fri 20-Oct-17 16:59:55

My most puzzling 'interview' was one where they showed me round, told me loads about the place but never asked me a single question.

I sometimes wonder if that was a real vacancy or if they had an internal person (or a reorganisation redundancy (ahem) 'transformation') waiting in the wings.

I have also experienced the 'you've got the job, when would you like to start? - Oh no you haven't' thing. angry

Daykay Fri 20-Oct-17 17:00:08

Quite a few years ago, I had an interview in a city company and the guy was going on about the computer systems so I asked what they used.
He paused then replied that it was an in-house called ‘Termite’. For some reason, I found that ridiculously hilarious and got a fit of giggles that I was desperately trying to control.
I could barely concentrate on the questions. It was so embarrassing.

crimsonlake Fri 20-Oct-17 17:02:16

I had an interview this week and did not get the job although feedback was I did great in the interview but it went to someone with a little more forensic experience ( not sure what that meant as there was no mention of that on the person specification?)
This may be very common but the interviewers each asked me questions then spent the whole time scribbling down the answers leaving me to talk to thin air with no eye contact. Although not nervous I felt as if I was talking to myself whilst watching making notes. Made worse as they were not sitting directly in front of me behind a desk and I was almost sat in the middle of the room rather like something off mastermind. I really think you need eye contact for 2 way successful communication during an interview.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now