Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Left my bag on the train :(

(45 Posts)
katonic Fri 20-Oct-17 06:52:56

Feeling really down and wanted to know if anyone can share happy stories of being reunited with lost stuff, or help me to overcome this horrible feeling!

I took my 12 week baby and ddog to stay with my dm this week as dh has been working late lots and I've been feeling really lonely at home with the baby for 13 hrs a day. We all got the train, which was a bit of a mission with baby in pram, dog, and all our stuff in a big holdall bag, but both dog and baby are lovely calm things and I felt confident taking them all on my own.

Journey there all fine, runs exceptionally smoothly, have a lovely week being spoiled by mum. Time comes to leave and get the train home and this is where it all goes wrong. Train is 20 mins late leaving our station, then half way through the journey announces that due to late running they are no longer stopping at my stop (Clapham junction) and running fast straight into London. The train announcer tells passengers to change at the next stop to get another train to Clapham junction and I start looking on my phone to find out which connection I can now make as this will mean I miss my intended train. Stop comes and I start getting the pram and dog organised, squeezing past all the luggage and other people on the busy train and someone offers me a hand getting the pram off. I gratefully accept and get onto the platform and check with staff which platform I need for the new train to Clapham junction and realise too late that I've left my bag on the train with all the other passengers' luggage.

I immediately told the platform staff, and they ring through to the next stop and to London Victoria and leave details. I miss the next train to Clapham waiting for news, and as the one after is close to arriving they said just to get on, go to Victoria and I should be able to pick my bag up there. However I then get a call when I'm on that train saying they've checked the train and my bag isn't there. I just head home at this point.

It's been taken by someone hasn't it? Can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't be left on the train for the staff to find at Victoria. Really upset, there's about £300 worth of stuff in there, some bits irreplaceable. Loads of the baby's best clothes, her sling, her Ewan the sheep, hand knitted clothes for her, presents from friends who'd just met my baby for the first time, brand new nursing bras I just bought, my expensive slippers, my electric toothbrush.

So I end up getting home after a 2 hr journey turned into a 4hr one, minus all my stuff, and I'm now really struggling to see how it will turn up if the train staff didn't get it as soon as it was reported sad Has anyone had luck getting stuff lost on trains returned to them? I've been awake for hours getting myself worked up about it, feel so stupid that I didn't pick it up when getting off the train, was just too focused on how I was going to continue the journey after the unexpected change.

My dh is very much 'it's just stuff, it can be replaced' , and yes I can see that, but it's stuff with memories attached, or expensive stuff I don't want to be shelling out for again esp while I'm on maternity pay. And it's the time and energy that was invested into researching and choosing that particular stuff and knowing that it's unlikely I can get the exact thing again in many cases.

Sorry for all the detail, it feels a bit better to offload and seeing it written down does help me put it in perspective a bit more but it always feels so devastating to me to lose things! Even more so now that I have a baby and the majority were her things, I feel bad for her like I've let her down!

Gizlotsmum Fri 20-Oct-17 06:55:51

Give them another call today. It may have been handed in at another station or found at a train clean. Fx you get it back

Mxyzptlk Fri 20-Oct-17 06:59:58

Very understandable you feel like that. Definitely not your fault, tho, with all that going on.
Hope it turns up.

AliceLutherNeeMorgan Fri 20-Oct-17 07:02:20

Oh poor you! If it makes you feel better, I did this a while ago and did eventually get my bag back - I had to phone and phone and eventually I visited the two stations in between and it was at the second one. So there is hope!

Do you have travel insurance? That may help ( with the money, although not the hard to get stuff)

RainbowPastel Fri 20-Oct-17 07:02:42

Post on Lostbox on Facebook they have a great record of getting things back to people.

AdalindSchade Fri 20-Oct-17 07:04:46

I think you have a good chance of getting it back. Fingers crossed.

hesterton Fri 20-Oct-17 07:04:51

I've done this twice in 30 years and got everything back each time. The second time was recently and it took about 2 months for them to send the message that it was in lost property! Everything was in my bags each time including money and the second time, quite expensive gift shopping goods.

fleecyjumper Fri 20-Oct-17 07:08:46

My son got his bag back. It contained a Nintendo 3ds and games for it and £100 birthday money that he took to spend in London.

katonic Fri 20-Oct-17 07:13:22

Thanks all, making me a bit more hopeful, the train only stopped at two stations (Gatwick and Victoria) after I got off. I just can't believe that someone would steal it, I'm hoping they just looked on the wrong train or another passenger took it to lost property and somehow it will turn up.

SoupDragon Fri 20-Oct-17 07:13:39

I think there's a lost property link on the TFL website with a form to fill in. I've had one children's school bag returned and one not so my success rate is only 50% but that's better than zero!

Winterfellismyhome Fri 20-Oct-17 07:16:10

You'll need to go through the Southern website. Just google southern lost property and theres a form. Hopefully you get it back smile

Wanderingbluebell Fri 20-Oct-17 07:16:30

My DH has left bags in trains (with valuables in) twice and both times got them back. It can take a little while for the bags to reach the lost property places e.g. anything lost on our south west trains line goes back to Waterloo lost property, regardless of where on the line it was lost. Fingers crossed!

AdalindSchade Fri 20-Oct-17 07:16:45

I found a bag full of Christmas presents at the train station on Christmas Eve once. I picked it up and went to look for a member of staff. I ran into some staff who I thought looked like they were on a mission and by chance asked if they were going to look for the Christmas presents and they were - if I hadn't seen them I would have handed them in but the person would have been told they weren't found when they looked. I bet someone picked it up to hand in. Maybe even someone who saw you and realised you left it.

AnAirborneFluffyWhiteThing Fri 20-Oct-17 07:24:36

I would think DH has left his overnight bag on the train at least once a year for about the last 10 years! He's been very lucky, as he's always got it back.

His train goes into Waterloo. Be patient.

In the nicest way, not everyone would want a bag full of baby clothes etc! The bag will hopefully be making its way to lost property.

LouLouLoupee Fri 20-Oct-17 07:32:08

DS left his beloved puppy soft toy on the train a few months ago.
We realised straight away after arriving at the station that is a big hub and last on the line, however because we had gone through the barriers we weren’t allowed back on to get it. Reported to lost property, because the train was still sitting there apparently they sent someone on the train to check and it wasn’t there. On our way home 4 hrs later there was still no sign of it.
I did a FB appeal and shared it on the train company’s page (this was Scotrail, so I appreciate may be different) then a friend who works for Scotrail got in touch to let me know that when you do a lost post on FB an alert is sent to all staff on the trains to look out for the soft toy (he works the other side of the country)
A couple of hours later the toy was in lost property and we picked it up the next day.

The point of the (overly long - sorry) story is that sharing on social media can kick the train company’s arse into actually finding it, so if I were you I’d go down that route. I’m not big on social media but my sister encouraged me and I’m so glad I did it. That’ll teach to take my sons most precious toy on the train with us!

I really hope your bag turns up, the feeling of losing something like that is horrible.

Dairymilkmuncher Fri 20-Oct-17 07:33:16

My DP left a bag of valuables in London and got them back a few days later, there are lots of honest people about. Do you have lost and found section at the local police? I think the lost stuff on the trains down there take a few days to be logged.

Do you have travel insurance that would include uk journeys too?

Your Dp is right, it’s just stuff. My mum left me in a shop when she was a bit frazzled, imagine it had been your baby/pup you left and you’ll be feeling lucky it was just the bag smile

katonic Fri 20-Oct-17 07:36:41

I've filled in the lost property form on the website and I've now posted on Lostbox on fb, thanks for the suggestions.

Just was so sure they would get it straight away and think it must have gone walking somewhere if not - Adalind your story gives me hope! And yes, it doesn't contain any desirable items but people wouldn't know that, they would take a bag and just dump it if no cash/jewellery/electronics inside.

LadyLapsang Fri 20-Oct-17 07:38:05

My colleague left his bag on the tube with some papers and a new laptop. He got it back, but not for 3-4 weeks. Have you been to the lost property office at Victoria Station?

AgentProvocateur Fri 20-Oct-17 07:41:57

—I— some idiot once left a bag with laptop, Kindle, expensive make up and perfume, glasses etc on a train in London. I got it back a couple of weeks later.

MuseumOfCurry Fri 20-Oct-17 07:46:16

I've had very good luck getting stuff back.

Once I left my laptop ON A BENCH IN THE SOUTH KENSINGTON TUBE STATION and I got it back.

Once, my husband left my Louis Vuitton overnight duffel on a train back from Salisbury and I got it back.

Good luck.

Sarahjconnor Fri 20-Oct-17 07:46:26

I hope it turns up - keep trying.

My daughter lost her new coat 2 days after school started last year and was very told off (£50!). She looked and looked (apparently). Yesterday as she was leaving school the heavens opened and she realised she hadn't got her (new) coat. She was cowering in the reception and spied something gold stuck right at the bottom behind a radiator - she pulled it out and it was the zip of her original coat! Very very dusty but good as new.

yorkshireyummymummy Fri 20-Oct-17 08:00:44

I had a bag taken when I was on a train once. I had to change at Manchester , went fir my bag and some scrote had taken it. I still think of those lovely kitten heel shoes in the bag occasionally..........anyway, I also left my purse on a grand central from kings cross to Newcastle and I got that back so I have a 50% hit rate.
If you have all risks on your home contents insurance policy you can claim. Cold comfort but at least you won't be financially down.
Good luck, hope you do get it back!!
Oh, and well done for attempting/ doing the train journey with baby and dog. Big up to you!!

Remembermyname Fri 20-Oct-17 08:18:11

I think the reason your bag wasn't there is that another passenger realised you'd left it and took it off the train and handed it in.

I'm sure you'll get it back - I got mine back after I left it on the dlr once...

Fffion Fri 20-Oct-17 08:21:46

DH left his work laptop on a train. He called the station at the end of the line, and they said that all lost property is taken to Waterloo. The local stations don't handle it at all.

Sure enough, his laptop was there.

MaidOfStars Fri 20-Oct-17 08:59:36

I've left: a purse, a pair of glasses and a second purse on a station platform, on a train seat and in a station loo respectively, and got all back safely (purses complete with cash etc).

I once picked up a lost rucksack on a train. I didn't hand it in, I took it home and found the owner on Facebook (took a couple of days). The bag had an electronic device in it and the owner would have had to pay a £50 release fee at Lost Property!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now