Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anyone given up alcohol without there being an alcohol issue in the first place?

(19 Posts)
AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Thu 19-Oct-17 23:54:09

I'm not addicted. I did Stoptober etc with no problems. It's more about the fact that I use it as a crutch, I think.

Was it easy? What did you do at Christmas etc?

TempStamos Fri 20-Oct-17 00:03:07

I gave up alcohol 7 years ago, wasn’t a problem just wanted to be healthier and made far too many poor choices whilst drunk...
Occasionally may have a glass at christmas but there are plenty of alcohol free alternatives ( which actually taste better)

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Fri 20-Oct-17 00:04:51

This is absolutely me. It's got to the point where nothing good ever happens when I'm drinking iyswim?

ferriswheel Fri 20-Oct-17 00:09:14

Life is much easier without alcohol. I don't never drink but maybe once a month. I highly recommend it.

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Fri 20-Oct-17 00:13:23

Thank you.

I've recently found that I can't have just one either.

AnyFucker Fri 20-Oct-17 00:14:54

Sorry, but from what you have said on this thread I would not conclude there was "no issue" with alcohol

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Fri 20-Oct-17 00:16:25

Anyfucker now it's written down, I'm beginning to feel that way myself.

AnyFucker Fri 20-Oct-17 00:21:49

flowers

JustGettingStarted Fri 20-Oct-17 00:26:37

I quit when people around me didn't think there was a problem.

People often think that a true drinking problem is something grim and dramatic. It can be something as mild as weight gain or not liking the hangovers.

I think that what usually actually happens is that many people will slowly slide into the problem drinking. Some people slide so slowly that they don't actually reach the problem point in their lifetime, or it goes unrecognised. Some may drink without issues for years and then in later years their drinking becomes a problem (middle-age half a bottle of wine a night sort of thing.) Some people surround themselves with other people who normalise their drinking so that it goes undetected.

I have noticed that in the British culture, so long as you don't drive under the influence or become aggressive, people will think you're OK.

You can't judge your own drinking by comparing yourself to others. There is always someone obviously "worse" than you. Somewhere out there, someone is telling themselves that they're not an alcoholic because they never drink before noon.

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Fri 20-Oct-17 00:32:02

Or people who can go weeks without drinking, binge 2 bottles of wine, and it REALLY not be good for them. (me)

dangermouseisace Fri 20-Oct-17 00:35:29

I did when I was younger for a couple of years, after getting too pissed and embarrassing a few times. I didn't have a problem it was accidental getting too pissed. I just thought it wasn't adding anything good to my life.

It was very easy. Christmas etc just didn't involve alcohol- I never drank much anyway back then so it didn't matter. I drink now, but even now I can't imagine how a dry Christmas would be a problem....but then again I'm getting divorced so I don't have MIL to deal with- if I did it probably would be an issue grin

pallisers Fri 20-Oct-17 00:44:56

I think you do have a bit more of an issue than you think - but I also think you are getting a grip on it early. I agree with pp about the gradual slide too.

There are some really good books/blogs out there about a sober life that doesn't mean you had an alcoholic life before - the Sunday Morning australian site is great.

I've had a few friends who felt like you for various reasons and quit for a while - maybe a few months or a year. In some cases it kind of re-set their attitude to alcohol -so back to an occasional glass . In others, they just never went back as realised it was better without alcohol.

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Fri 20-Oct-17 00:51:41

That's what I want. I want to know I'm ok with the occasional glass, without needing or wanting more.

bigbluedustbin Fri 20-Oct-17 00:56:11

Me. I have a health problem that is made worse by drinking, but I never had a problem with alcohol.

lightcola Fri 20-Oct-17 00:56:26

I've sort of unintentionally given it up. Just don't like drinking S I have two small children now. I'm also losing weight through calorie counting and it's amazing how many are in alcohol.

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Fri 20-Oct-17 04:27:36

Thank you. I've found The Bus...🌺

ricecakeseverywhere Fri 20-Oct-17 04:32:00

I have because of bf - I've been to (incl Mc), pg or extended bf continuously since mid 2009.

I've always liked the odd drink but don't need it at all. As my dd is now a toddler I don't feel I can say I'm not drinking due to bf. I usually say I'm driving or just that I won't be drinking that night. I'm expecting to finish bf for ever next year but quite tempted to carry on with being teetotal!

ricecakeseverywhere Fri 20-Oct-17 04:33:11

I haven't had any alcohol for eight years and don't find I miss it, basically!

Winniethepooer Fri 20-Oct-17 05:02:16

I've never really drunk alcohol. I go birthdays & Christmas's without drinking.
I don't think about it.

At least you are thinking & acknowledging you might have concerns around alcohol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now