Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Samaritan’s Purse... sigh

(39 Posts)
WittgensteinsBunny Thu 19-Oct-17 21:29:11

So, the leaflet for OCC arrived in DDs reading bag today. We’re not participating. Lots of reasons, really. I’m planning to write to the school. I know this has been done to death on here. I’ve already found some links about the organisation and why it’s possibly not a great charity to support but if anyone has any other info / web links to include, I’d be hugely grateful, all of the links I have are quite old.

Haggisfish Thu 19-Oct-17 21:30:20

Me too. Don't want to be 'that parent' but am going to be!

WittgensteinsBunny Thu 19-Oct-17 21:32:32

Exactly the convo I’ve just had with DH! I don’t think I’ll be “that parent” often, but I feel very strongly about this one!

LineysRun Thu 19-Oct-17 21:35:26

Why oh why do schools still associate with this evangelical, exploitative crap?

Every school in the UK will have a local food bank in need, with some (possibly many) of their own pupils benefiting from them; or they could have a loose change collection for a neutral organisation that benefits children in other countries e.g. MSF.

WittgensteinsBunny Fri 20-Oct-17 07:23:34

I know. We’re going to donate to a different charity. I plan to make this clear in my letter.

MistyMinge Fri 20-Oct-17 07:26:53

What's OCC?

EmilyEvasive Fri 20-Oct-17 07:29:47

What would be a good alternative to suggest?

I’m a parent and work at the school! Our school is doing SP again.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 20-Oct-17 07:30:11

Operation Christmas child - I think.

ladybirdsarelovely33 Fri 20-Oct-17 07:33:19

Overall what Operation Christmas Child does is a good thing- they get boxes of presents and toiletries out to children in the developing world who might not otherwise receive anything. I know someone who travelled out to an African country where the boxes were distributed and she talked about a girl who tried to make a bar of soap last a year until the next box.
The children are really appreciative.
I have done the box every year since my dd was 2 (she is only 5 now) and it is an easy way of understanding about giving to others.
Tbh i think we need to focus on the overwhelmingly positive outcomes for Christmas Child.

Crumbs1 Fri 20-Oct-17 07:38:52

We’ve done Christmas Child for years. It was an act of kindness that the children enjoyed (and still enjoy). It brings huge pleasure to thousands of poor children across the world and perhaps more importantly it teaches children from richer countries about giving and sharing of wealth. They can actually see what they are giving and understand that their generosity brings pleasure to others.
That is, surely a good thing and hardly akin to terrorism. The fact it is done in the name of God does not detract from the act of kindness.

TheFlandersPigeonMurderer Fri 20-Oct-17 08:13:28

If I were to sit in the fence, I would say that it was massively more meaningful for DS to choose specific items for “his” child, rather than take a tenner in an envelope into school.
It’s also a hideous waste of resources to fly all this stuff overseas.
The evangelical bit is apparently over-exaggerated sometimes but I’ve never been in a position to know whether that’s true or not. And in any case it’s hardly like anyone’s planning on sending razor blade filled sweets out is it? It’s simply a nice gesture, with a greater degree of self congratulation than making a quick bank transfer hmm
<gets more comfortable on fence>

00100001 Fri 20-Oct-17 08:16:01

Not this again hmm

People act like SP is bloody recruiting kids into street gangs or arming child soldiers.

MillicentFawcett Fri 20-Oct-17 08:21:38

Children and schools in the UK should not be funding the evangelical missions of a rabid right-wing homophobic organisation like this.

There are lots and lots of other organisations that allow your children to have the nice warm fuzzy feeling at christmas without funding hate. Lots of links here for you OP - both of recent websites about OCC and alternatives: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3060416-to-secretly-fill-a-christmas-charity-shoebox-with-as-good-as-new-toys

Incidentally, if you really want to help improve the lives of children in the developing world, consider sponsoring one through Plan International. You get a lovely personal relationship where you can write to one another and send photos and everything!

whatsthecomingoverthehill Fri 20-Oct-17 08:22:40

No they're not 00100001. They are concerned that the way that the organisation presents itself does not make it clear what their aims are. And it's ultimately run by Franklin Graham who is a colossal douchebag.

There are plenty of other charities that do shoebox appeals and the like that don't come attached woth proselytising.

MillicentFawcett Fri 20-Oct-17 08:23:50

And here's another alternative that isn't mentioned on that thread: www.msrm.org.uk/index.html

thecapitalsunited Fri 20-Oct-17 08:30:24

My workplace was going to do OCC last year until I sent HR a link to Franklin Graham’s views on Islam. HR were horrified and canned it pretty quickly. I don’t think I mentioned the evangelism.

PhilODox Fri 20-Oct-17 08:38:19

Hahaha ladybird, like you don't work for them!
What about the (not in the least bit deprived or poor) child if a MNer who received one of these boxes a few years ago, because they happened to reside in a Muslim majority area of SE Europe?
I could post her username, but she's back in the UK now, and may not wish to make it known.

JsOtherHalf Fri 20-Oct-17 08:58:42

I talked to DS about it last week when the leaflet came home.
We put some money into a charity that has some links to.his school instead.

WittgensteinsBunny Fri 20-Oct-17 09:47:56

I have no issue with helping poor children; I don’t even mind supporting church charities (we are not religious); I do mind supporting rampantly homophobic and anti-Islamic organisations. The proselytising makes me uncomfortable but isn’t my main issue. Thanks for the link above.

HolyShet Fri 20-Oct-17 10:10:02

Our school dropped it on the basis of the racism and the homophobia, thankfully
It is a collosal waste of resources too
If you want to give actual gifts of things (for that warm glowy all about the giver thing) there are usually loads of local charities collecting for local people, young and old who have very little - Lord Mayors appeals, Rotary, even the food bank etc.
Then give cash to charities delivering essential work with proper consistent relationships with communities on the ground, better reach and understanding and no evangelical strings.

ladybirdsarelovely33 Fri 20-Oct-17 10:28:55

Again with the anti Christian brigade.

HolyShet Fri 20-Oct-17 10:33:39

what are you on about ladybirds?

BeBeatrix Fri 20-Oct-17 10:50:51

I know / have known three people (from completely different parts of the world) who received boxes from S.P./Op.CC when they were children. They all reported the same:

-*They were genuinely in dire poverty*. The least poor of the three had enough to eat [by local standards, not by UK standards] etc but never enough for treats or presents. The poorest had to miss meals reasonably often.

-*The boxes meant an enormous amount to them*. Really special memories, some of the highlights of their childhood. That includes the one who didn't always have enough to eat - I questioned whether they'd rather their families had been given money for food, and they were adamant that the boxes made them feel so special, that it was the best help they got. (Not sure if their parents would have agreed, but that was genuinely their opinion!)

-*There was no pressure to convert / pray / read the bible etc*. They were aware that the charity were a christian charity, and that some boxes were from Christians (apparently some had notes etc which made this clear) and that some were from people who didn't agree with christianity (or with the charity's beliefs). There was no mention of homosexuality or morality or anything like that. They were aware that the organizers were christians and were praying for them, and were happy to tell them about Jesus, mostly telling them the nativity story, but happy to answer further questions when asked.

I thought it might be particularly helpful to posters who find the charity's belief statement quite offensive, to know that the children are aware that not all donors agree.

ParanoidBeryl Fri 20-Oct-17 11:00:43

Both my DC's schools did this and we never participated for a number of reasons:

1. It is a hugely wasteful way to distribute help
2. I think it is aimed at making the donor feel better than the giftee
3. I think it is culturally insensitive to provide 'Christmas' gifts in areas where other religions are dominant
4. An evangelical leaflet is added to every box
5. There are reports of children having to sit through a talk on Christianity before receiving the boxes
6. The offensive views of Franklin Graham

I raised it with one of our schools and they chose another, local, charity to support instead. They had no idea, and I think a lot of schools genuinely have no idea about the background to it.

bodenbiscuit Fri 20-Oct-17 11:01:37

I don’t like this either so we don’t participate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now