Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Food Banks

(133 Posts)
Savannahover Thu 19-Oct-17 19:22:58

We have a collection box at our local supermarket.
I normally put tea bags, tins of food in. I have also been putting in toilet rolls and nice bubble bath, toothpaste etc.
Then I was thinking it does say food on the box.
So are these toiletries acceptable / needed or should I just stick to food?

HelenaDove Thu 19-Oct-17 19:24:08

I put sanpro in our local Sainsburys one.

Savannahover Thu 19-Oct-17 19:29:26

But do they get passed on do you know HelenaDove?
Are they needed?
I guess they are just as much as food.

Savannahover Thu 19-Oct-17 19:29:36

But do they get passed on do you know HelenaDove?
Are they needed?
I guess they are just as much as food.

HelenaDove Thu 19-Oct-17 19:33:30

They are very much needed.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/05/period-poverty-women-sanitary-products

Savannahover Thu 19-Oct-17 19:39:25

Thank you for that link. I didn't think about sanpro but will add that to my list too.

RabidHarpy Thu 19-Oct-17 19:40:15

I have been offered pads and tampons but didn't need them. However, I was offered for DD a "starter pack" type thing and I was really grateful. DD less so as she still doesn't quite believe it will happen smile.

Also offered toiletries such as toothbrush and paste, shampoo etc.

I have donated in the past but am now in the situation where I have taken the help offered and I really am grateful but ashamed.

FluffyMcCloud Thu 19-Oct-17 19:42:41

rabidharpy please don't feel ashamed. Your circumstances are what they are and food banks exist to help people in your situation. People don't donate grudgingly! They do so because they want to help. Sorry things are rough for you right now, I hope it turns around for you.

RabidHarpy Thu 19-Oct-17 19:44:05

There was also a table with treats such as fancier toiletries, packets of nuts and a huge amount of vegetables from the allotments. Apparently an older gentleman donates the majority of his to the food bank regularly.

We were offered 2 treats and quite a large amount of the fresh stuff.

flowers

FadedRed Thu 19-Oct-17 19:47:00

RabidHarpy please, please do not for a single moment feel shame. Absolutely not.
You are in enough of a difficult situation, not to ass any totally unwarranted emotion to make yourself feel worse.
Hopefully, you will be in a position where you no longer need the help, and maybe, one day, be able to return it.
No shame to need help. flowers

FadedRed Thu 19-Oct-17 19:50:51

ass should have read add blush
No bottoms or donkeys were in any way involved in my reply.

Savannahover Thu 19-Oct-17 19:52:12

Rabid
Please don't feel ashamed. I feel ashamed that the food banks are necessary. Shouldn't happen in the UK in 2017.
I always like to put a few treats in too. Sometimes feel a bit disheartened when all I see in there is pasta and baked beans.
No offence, I know people are donating what they can but if I was in that position I would love a bar of chocolate. flowers

HelenaDove Thu 19-Oct-17 19:55:53

ive donated choccie biscuits too. Its going to get worse with the UC rollout

WhichJob Thu 19-Oct-17 20:02:30

I always donate something practical and nutritious - like tuna - and something nice like biscuits or coco pops or something I hope will brighten someone's day if they receive it.

RabidHarpy Thu 19-Oct-17 20:03:59

Thank you flowers.

RabidHarpy Thu 19-Oct-17 20:06:47

Ghost Town by The Specials - I listened to it first in the 80s.

x2boys Thu 19-Oct-17 20:06:54

Does its not say what's specifically needed sorry not sure how to word it and I'm sure toiletries etc are needed .

HelenaDove Thu 19-Oct-17 20:07:22

Rabid you have nothing to be ashamed of thanks

JonSnowsWife Thu 19-Oct-17 20:09:40

I used to volunteer for a foodbank, yes they accept toiletries too.

Where I used to volunteer they had the food parcels in one part of the centre then the sanpro stuff was placed discreetly in another room with toiletries and stuff and you could help yourself to what you needed.

starzig Thu 19-Oct-17 20:12:23

I've seen pet food in ours !!!!!

WashBasketsAreUs Thu 19-Oct-17 20:13:45

I donate tins and bits most times I do a big shop. However, at the moment I'm getting a 'treat box' up together for Christmas, getting my grandson to help pick special stuff like chocolate buttons, party ring biscuits, hot chocolate drinks etc. I've explained to him that not all children have all the nice things that he has and it's nice to give them something of a treat. Bless him, he was so pleased to show his mum his 'treat box' this week. Never too early to teach them to be kind.

Savannahover Thu 19-Oct-17 20:17:08

WashBaskets that's a lovely idea

Fishcalledlola Thu 19-Oct-17 20:17:10

Nappies are always good to buy. We just had a collection for the foodbank for the school harvest festival. The list of needed items was different to last year. It was all food stuff but I sent washing powder, baby wipes, shower gel too.

Holliewantstobehot Thu 19-Oct-17 20:17:44

I heard yesterday that food banks need food that doesn't have to be heated as some people don't have the electric. Am going to donate some tinned ham for Christmas.

HelenaDove Thu 19-Oct-17 20:19:22

Wash thats lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now