Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What are your best buys? (Baby/Child Related)

(36 Posts)
icantbelieveijoined Thu 19-Oct-17 19:10:02

Just curious really. We are expecting DC2 in 2018 and we recently had a little look around Mothercare, peeing ourselves laughing at all the "essentials" they sell. We also had a little laugh at ourselves as we bought most of these "essentials" the first time around.
So for us the best buy was definitely our Bugaboo Buffalo, it's just so robust yet easy to push. It's a real workhorse, yes it's big and heavy but it still fits in my little car with no worries. Also the Baby Bjorn high chair is just fantastic, no straps to get messy, so small even when it isn't folded down and it looks relatively stylish too. Both of these were expensive purchases but they get used all the time and will get used with the next children too.

Worst buys, a gro egg! What were we thinking? It it essentially a thermometer, it doesn't light up the room adequately for a night light so I paid £25 for a thermometer. I also blush to think that we used to use it religiously instead of using a bit of common sense. Also the snuz pod. DC1 totally refused if which is no fault of the snuz pod I know but I bought it as a Co-sleeper and the instructions say you need to zip up the side wall when you go to sleep. Baby ended up sleeping in a second hand (with new mattress) Moses basket!! ~I am not at all bitter about this~ angry

So inspire and warn me of your best worst/baby products before going shopping once more for DC2.

plimsolls Thu 19-Oct-17 19:15:44

My absolute best was the Shnuggle (sp?!) baby bath. You don't need much water to "fill" it so it's quick and easy, and after the early newborn day they practically support themselves in it so you've got two hands for bathing them. And the most useful thing was that it made an excellent seat/baby container (without water in obv). I used to sit my daughter up in it with a few toys or a book whilst I had a shower or did laundry etc. All for about £20.

Now you mention it, my worst is the gro-egg! I was looking at it yesterday thinking how useless it is! And we've got a thermometer on our baby monitor so I didn't even need it for that!

Kpo58 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:19:21

The sleepyhead saved my sanity.

I like the gloegg, but I do just consider it as a thermometer, rather than a light source. The monkey top I have on it was comforting to look at at stupid o'clock when feeding DD.

I hate with a passion baby grows which don't button up the front or go over the head. Whose stupid idea was it to have ones where you have to button it up one leg after trying to get the other leg in?!

Polter Thu 19-Oct-17 19:19:34

Tripp Trapp chair, ds used it until he was 12.

OuchBollocks Thu 19-Oct-17 19:19:38

The ergo was the best purchase for DD. She was a total pram/buggy refuser so the pram almost went down as a bad purchase despite being a brilliant pram (uppababy vista), luckily DS loves it. I agree the baby Bjorn high chair is fab, we were lucky to get a nearly new one at a vastly reduced price. Also loved the fisher price baby swing (got both DC to nap for quite a few months) and Cheeky Wipes washable baby wipes.

IheartCaptainHolt Thu 19-Oct-17 19:25:57

Vest extenders. Nice and cheap in amazon and means your vests last loads longer .

INeedNewShoes Thu 19-Oct-17 19:29:41

Ooh I had no idea about vest extenders! Might be the answer for my long thing baby.

Bouncy chair is so so useful. DD sits in it all the time when I want her contained.

I've recently started using an ergobaby adapt which I wish I'd used from day 1 instead of the caboo.

spacefrog35 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:31:27

I'm not sure what the best is, there's a lot of stuff that we use all the time. Worst was probably the cold dead eyed giraffe/David Mitchell lookalike or Sophie as she's known. £15 for what is essentially a dog chew toy that I could have picked up for £2 in a pet shop hmm blush

Anotherdayanotherdollar Thu 19-Oct-17 19:35:02

Best buys: morrck car seat blanket
Mini Milton steriliser

I bought very little and researched loads beforehand so no worst buy

INeedNewShoes Thu 19-Oct-17 19:35:47

Completely agree re Sophie la giraffe. We received two as gifts and neither me nor dd are impressed!

Rufus27 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:38:56

Best buys: Braun Thermoscan Thermometer; a waterproof mirror that sticks to the edge of the bath (£3 in Sainsburys); a baby dressing gown (great for everything from post swimming in the changing room to emergency warmth following a poonami); extra long bibs.

Didnt need/never used: changing table; teething powder; baby towels; baby cutlery (he prefers ours).

CustardOmlet Thu 19-Oct-17 19:41:56

My cheap mai tai style carrier has been amazing. Used the Close Caboo when my DSs were tiny but now DS2 is 1yr he goes on my back. I hate using the pushchair, I’m a terrible driver and DS hates being in it.

Queenofthedrivensnow Thu 19-Oct-17 19:43:34

Clamp on high chair - brand is Phil and reds but expect others are available

Muslim squares

Ergo carrier but other brands also great just not crotch danglers

The click in car seat base - no going back to strapping the fucking thing in

Soubriquet Thu 19-Oct-17 19:44:07

Best:-

Ewan the dream sheep. He was a lifesaver

Baby swing that had music and white noise

Out n about buggy.

Kari-me wrap

Yellow metanium for nappy rash

Worse...don't think I had anything useless really. Dh wouldn't let me buy daft objects so most things I bought were used

Queenofthedrivensnow Thu 19-Oct-17 19:44:11

Philips avent breat pump was life changing

dontpokethebear Thu 19-Oct-17 19:45:15

I came on the say Braun Thermoscan too. Invaluable if you're a bit neurotic like me bit of kit.
And the babybjörn bouncy chair.

dontpokethebear Thu 19-Oct-17 19:46:27

And TrippTrapps! We convert them to chairs when we have people for dinner.

dontpokethebear Thu 19-Oct-17 19:48:02

Oh and worse, manual breast pump.

43percentburnt Thu 19-Oct-17 19:48:18

Ikea high chairs - thanks MN.

Ewan for ds then his gro clock - both worth every penny.

Swing for dd - bought second hand and well worth it.

Moby wrap.

Little lamb reusable nappies.

TeddyIsaHe Thu 19-Oct-17 19:54:27

The Angelcare soft touch bath seat, it’s amazing. Easy to bath a tiny newborn and Dd still uses it now at 9 months.

Ergobaby 360 carrier - SO comfortable to wear.

Jumperoo for older babies, Dd would not be put down at all until I got one of these. First hot cup of tea I had since she was born!

Waterwipes, never had even the tiniest bit of nappy rash and I’ve used these since day 1.

stealthbanana Thu 19-Oct-17 19:56:21

Best buys: ergobaby, angelcare bath seat, babyzen yoyo for travelling, koo di pop up bassinet, Tommee tippee sangenic nappy bin, lilla kuddis pillow (controversial but sorted out ds' potential flat head), big Aden & anais muslins

Worst buys: bumbo (we were actually given it but used it for literally a week), sleepyhead (DS hated it), gro egg (wtf is the point?!), manual breast pump(was shit and didn't work properly)

Lukeandlorelai4Ever Thu 19-Oct-17 19:59:32

Best - baby swing - used from 6-12 weeks- gave me time to eat/ clean/ shower!

Angelcare monitor

IKEA changing table - great for storage

Worst- Moses basket- grew out of it in two weeks so went straight into cot. This time will be using the carry cot from the quinny for day time 😴

OhOurBilly Thu 19-Oct-17 19:59:34

Six foot charger cable. £2.50 from amazon. Life changing.
I liked the tuppence and crumble starsnug, cute and easy to post a sleeping baby into.
Weeds calendula nappy cream.
Winciette squares/Terry toweling nappy squares. I find them more absorbent than muslin cloths.

Never used the changing table. Poddle pod was used infrequently at best.

ItsLeviosah Thu 19-Oct-17 20:02:32

Mother of three, youngest is 6 months

BEST:
Definetly a bouncy chair.
Car seat mirror
Car seat that attaches to pram base
Microwave steriliser (not electric)
Dr Browns bottles
Bottle drying rack
Perfect prep machine
Swaddle blanket for first 6 weeks
Moses basket with stand
Ewen the dream sheep

WASTE OF TIME:
Baby swing
Nappy bin
Changing table
Shoes for babies

DoubleRamsey Thu 19-Oct-17 20:07:15

Best

Playmat - great for a little break so I can drink a cup of tea. Dd prefers it to a bouncer (she doesn't like being restrained!) and she can kick about freely

Baby Bjorn sling - great for off-road dog walking and she sleeps so well in it

Baby sleeping bags - gro-snug when newborn and gro-bag when older. I don't worry about temperature or suffocation. She is kept constant temperature while night feeding so she doesn't wake up fully. No faffing with blanket swaddling but can still have swaddle effect.

Worst

Real clothes for newborns (dresses/trousers tops etc) babygrows will do until they grow into 0-3 months

Dummy, dd hates them and will not entertain sucking one

Fancy expensive nappy cream - sudocrem is super cheap and amazing stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now