Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can a 13 year old visit a GP by herself

(15 Posts)
PinkfluffySlippers63 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:46:15

DD (13) wants to see the GP by herself- is that allowed or does a parent have to be there? . I know what she wants to discuss and she is fine with seeing the family doctor (male). She says she would rather see the doctor by herself. I'm fine with this and will wait in the waiting room.

user1485196412 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:46:59

Yes she can- I'm sure I went in on my own younger than that.

BobtheFireman Thu 19-Oct-17 17:58:40

Ah she's getting her independence. I don't think my 13 year old would have been mature enough to discuss whatever she needed to though I am sure the doctor would know what questions to ask.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 19-Oct-17 18:00:08

Depending on the reason she is going, are you confident that she will understand and remember what the doctor tells her?

madamginger Thu 19-Oct-17 18:04:02

Yes, if the Dr regards that she is gillick competent.

TroysMammy Thu 19-Oct-17 18:10:13

It's great she is becoming independent and confident in speaking to adults.

I'm a GP Receptionist and children/young adults just stand there mute whilst their mother's speak for them. When I ask how can I help them they only have to say "my name is xx and I have an appointment with Dr xx or the nurse". Job done. Good on your daughter and good on you OP for allowing her to become independent.

CustardOmlet Thu 19-Oct-17 18:10:41

Yes, as MadamGinger said if she’s deemed to have capacity/Gillick Competant then she can decider her own treatment.

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Thu 19-Oct-17 18:13:49

It probably depends on the Doctor.

PinkfluffySlippers63 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:15:53

Thanks everyone... flowers. I knew Gillick came into this at some point but I couldn't remember how - so thanks for the reminder! Yes, I think she's Gillick competent - she's certainly very forthright in her opinions!. Also I know our GP well and trust him. (I'm not so sure I'd be keen for her to go alone if I didn't know the GP) hmm

BobtheFireman Fri 20-Oct-17 04:46:55

I've just googled Gillick and then Fraser comes up. Is it for contraception? My 13 year old is possibly 2 years behind even thinking about that. She hasn't had her periods yet. Is there a reason she doesn't want you there? I know some children are far ahead of their peers in some respects. I think my daughter is very young for her years (though she claims she knows more than I will ever know ha).
Has she been to the doctor on her own or is it impending? Are you happy to trust that she will get a proper consultation with the GP given that I doubt he can prescribe the pill to 13 year olds?

FeralTrickOrTreatingGhoul Fri 20-Oct-17 05:22:12

As long as she’s Gillick competent I don’t see why not.

Not the same thing, but I had surgery at 14 and was allowed to sign my consent form - with Mum then also signing. The doctor explained that he thought I had enough understanding of what they were going to do, and that a parental signature was needed as I wasn’t legally an adult. I felt very grown up!

Skyechasemarshalsfanmum Fri 20-Oct-17 05:29:00

Bobthefireman.
I got given the pill on my own at 14 from the gp. If the person is competent they can precribe it.

I think its great your 13 year old has the confidence to want to go on her own op.

whosahappyharry Fri 20-Oct-17 06:23:44

Definitely okay, bless her. I triage in paediatric A&E and solely speak to the majority of children above about age 9 or 10, with parents there of course, but I always direct questions just at them. They only really ever look to their parents for questions about vaccination history which isn't needed for your daughter at a GP.

PinkfluffySlippers63 Fri 20-Oct-17 09:29:12

BobtheFireman and others thanks for your replies. No she's not going for the pill - The reason she's going to the GP is personal to her therefore I won't be sharing it. She's seems quite independent to me (my only child so I have nothing to compare her with! ) The other day she saw the optician by herself the other day ( I was in the waiting room) and she was fine with that.

BobtheFireman Fri 20-Oct-17 17:20:06

Sounds like a very competent and capable young lady! Hope her trip to the GP goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now