Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Meghan Markle, do you think she will be able to handle royal life

(211 Posts)
123lookatme Thu 19-Oct-17 13:32:02

The press says an engagement is on the cards anytime soon, she's given up her job on Suits, will be moving to the Cotswolds. Just wondering what peoples thoughts on it were.. big change from the life she has now?

Montacute Thu 19-Oct-17 13:37:45

Who knows. I think she’s mad to give it all up for lurve. I suspect that the glamour of being a British royal may wear off a little when she realises it involves formal family gatherings in chilly country piles, loads of dinners with chinless wonders, and endless royal appointments at retirement homes and primary schools, oh and Uncle Andrew groping one’s arse. If I was her I’d be all ‘I think I’ll stick with my nice life in California thanks all the same’.

TillyVonMilly Thu 19-Oct-17 13:39:58

If they get married I hope it works out for them, personally I’d hate to live a life being constantly watched, picked apart and criticised, I don’t care how much money was on offer.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Thu 19-Oct-17 13:41:54

I can’t put my finger on it but I just cannot see them marrying. I really love Meghan Markle and think they make a great couple but something is telling me there will be no wedding for these two.

breakabletoy Thu 19-Oct-17 13:42:13

She has a tough road ahead of her. Look how mean the media has always been towards Fergie.

As the wife of the non-heir (plus American, non-aristocratic, and mixed race) I think the media will place her under a lot of scrutiny. I don't envy her at all.

2014newme Thu 19-Oct-17 13:43:10

Agree her life now is pretty nice with having to give up her job and attend loads of tedious functions

2014newme Thu 19-Oct-17 13:43:45

@breakabletoy you can add divorced to that list

justdontevenfuckingstart Thu 19-Oct-17 13:43:58

I don't envy her at all, numerous stories about holding hands, kissing, will they won't they it must be hell.

PolkaDottyRose Thu 19-Oct-17 13:45:36

I cannot bear the whole Meghan and Harry thing already..ugh..sorry..but..I do think as someone who is used to being in the spotlight she stands a better chance of coping than anyone else ever has ( apart from another Royal). I do wish them every happiness (I just don't want to hear about it every time I switch on Sky News).

WinteryWalk Thu 19-Oct-17 13:48:33

I don't really know why but I don't think it will work out.

SistersOfPercy Thu 19-Oct-17 13:48:37

Blind Gossip from a few days ago claims there are nude pics out there waiting to cause embarrassment when the engagement is announced.

I've never warmed to her personally, and everyone who watches Suits clearly knows Donna is where it's at grin

NoCryLilSoftSoft Thu 19-Oct-17 13:50:19

grin sisters!

Maudlinmaud Thu 19-Oct-17 13:50:26

Not sure what to think about this match, although I don't really give it much thought.
Wish them all the best of course but something feels a bit off. Maybe if Harry distanced himself from his royal roots it might have a better chance of working out. Can't see that happening and his charity work is to be commended.

justdontevenfuckingstart Thu 19-Oct-17 13:51:38

More nude pics of harry? Seriously tho does it matter? He's not going to be King, he seems lovely, more active than most. I suspect most couldn't give a shit.

Bluntness100 Thu 19-Oct-17 13:52:33

I think she is accustomed to fame and knows what it involves, not just from her own fame but also by being around others. In addition she’s older, as is he, so they know what they are doing. So yes, I reckon she will handle it just fine, possibly even enjoy it.

ElspethFlashman Thu 19-Oct-17 13:56:42

They're definitely getting married. If she wants kids, it's now or never. And he's been broody for years.

I suspect she thinks it's going to be all visiting refugee camps and championing lots of women's issues like Mary of Denmark.

But she's going to find herself much more constrained than that. I doubt she'll be allowed to set up her own Foundation (like Mary has) because there's already a W/C/H Foundation which she'll be expected to join. And everything will be decided mutually.

whiskyowl Thu 19-Oct-17 14:04:52

I neither know nor care.

Can we talk about overthrowing the monarchy and becoming a republic instead? grin

LucilleBluth Thu 19-Oct-17 14:05:20

I honestly think if they are going to marry then no titles, public money or royal houses. I'm not a big fan of the RF in general but at least William will be King so if we have to fund them then that's kind of ok but no royal protection for Meghan Markle et al.

mummmy2017 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:07:11

I can't help thinking once she joins the firm, it's going to give Kate a kick up the bum to UP her game.
I really do think up to now William and Kate have managed to slide along, hiding and playing at being a normal family in their massive house.
If this lady joins and is willing to do more as she seems to enjoy being filmed, then her new In-laws will find that what they do isn't enough.

skippy67 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:09:51

I want her to wake up and run for the hills. This country isn't ready for a non white member of the royal family. Run, woman, run!!!

ChuffMuffin Thu 19-Oct-17 14:10:17

I'm sick of hearing about her to be honest. I hope it works out for them though.

FlowerPot1234 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:11:30

Her ability to "handle" it is not one that bothers me. If she gets into it, I couldn't care less if she can handle it or not.

What I do care about is whether we can handle her and what she would contribute. Why citizens of this country will be expected to have reverence for her, and pay for her (and before someone comes out with the old "we don't pay for Harry" lie, check your facts and check the massive payments for various aspects of his life that you and I go out to work to earn the money that pays the taxes that fund his playboy lifestyle).

If he loves her I'd much prefer he gives up his Prince title, goes out and gets a job, stops leeching off me and they marry and live as a private couple.

Slimthistime Thu 19-Oct-17 14:14:12

Flower "If he loves her I'd much prefer he gives up his Prince title, goes out and gets a job, stops leeching off me and they marry and live as a private couple."

well the same is true of any Royal - what has Meghan got to do with this?

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Thu 19-Oct-17 14:14:14

kick up the bum to UP her game

What does that mean? As wife to a direct heir to the throne she has provided two children, with another on the way, seems actively happy with her H, performs charity work, is often seen on Royal engagements and manages to look photogenic, 'nice', in the process. What exactly is she doing wrong? confused

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Thu 19-Oct-17 14:15:09

Sorry, that was a response to mummy2017 suggesting that Kate should up her game.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now