Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Am I the only one to feel angry about the dying gorilla video

(40 Posts)
Dancinggoat Thu 19-Oct-17 12:05:37

There's a video flying about put on by social media sites and news papers showing a dying gorilla seeing her older keeper.
Her reaction is beautiful and the comments from people sharing it are ones of how beautiful that moment was etc.
All I can see is an old lady in the last moments of her life still used for publicity. This gorilla is in captivity and been on show all its life. To film that there would have been cameras, lighting equipment and quite a few people.
She would have had that set up round her or been moved to it when all she wants is to sleep.
They demonstrate giving her food and her refusing it. How many takes did that take.
The keeper goes in from behind and over her. How would you have approached her? I'd have gone on all fours and lay my head down so she could easily of seen me. If they had done that how would they have got the shot.
Compassion is not a set up filmed opportunity. Compassion is given selflessly.
Even in her last moments she was exploited.
If they truly loved her the keeper would have gone in in private and she would then have been put out of her suffering.
May be I'm being negative but to me we don't look at the whole picture.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Thu 19-Oct-17 12:08:07

The keeper goes in from behind and over her. How would you have approached her? I'd have gone on all fours and lay my head down so she could easily of seen me.

I haven't seen this video, but I'm very much doubting that you know better how to approach a gorilla than a zookeeper, whose job it is to look after gorillas.

Soubriquet Thu 19-Oct-17 12:08:53

Not a gorilla it's a chimp

And it's a sweet video

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 19-Oct-17 12:09:28

I scrolled past.... can’t watch anything with animals.... I’m a wuss

But I believe your take on it op. You’ve made a very valid point.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 19-Oct-17 12:09:52

I've not actually seen the video, only read an article about it, but I too wondered why the gorilla hadn't been euthanised.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 19-Oct-17 12:10:15

Chimp.

RunningOutOfCharge Thu 19-Oct-17 12:10:26

How is it ‘sweet’ if an animal is used as a Facebook video in this way?

What’s ‘sweet’ about it?

Soubriquet Thu 19-Oct-17 12:12:40

the video for those who want it

It's quite sad to watch really

upperlimit Thu 19-Oct-17 12:13:25

I haven't seen the clip.

But, from your description, it does sound as though the moment was manufactured to tell a story of compassion that is betrayed by its very own production.

Secondly though, I can't imagine it's very safe to piss off a knackered dying animal that is a shit tonne bigger than you. I wonder how much say the keeper had in how that was produced because it sounds as though they were put at risk too.

Soubriquet Thu 19-Oct-17 12:14:03

It's sweet because it's obvious she recognised her former keeper and actually found some last reserves of energy to say goodbye

But saying that if she hadn't eaten and drank in a while it would have been kinder to euthanise her

upperlimit Thu 19-Oct-17 12:14:12

Ah, chimp. Ok, just ignore the second point.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Thu 19-Oct-17 12:16:54

Yeah, you not even knowing what animal you're talking about does not give me confidence you'd have a clue about how best to approach it, OP.

BertrandRussell Thu 19-Oct-17 12:19:54

It looks to me as if she should have been PTS some time ago, frankly.

And I hate anthropomorphism.

SleepFreeZone Thu 19-Oct-17 12:23:23

It made me cry for all sorts of reasons. I hope she did enjoy seeing an old friend before she passed.

AppleTrayBake Thu 19-Oct-17 12:24:54

I think it's nice confused

He also didn't 'come from behind her' he was at her feet, the same way she was facing.

I'm sure the keepers/ vets involved are best placed to decide when she was ready to go.

gamerchick Thu 19-Oct-17 12:27:31

Have you even watched it OP? It looks nowt like a ruddy gorilla!

The joy on that animals face was heartwarming.

As for the captivity thing, I’m very torn as the wild isn’t a safe place for many animals now due to the virus that is humans.

AdalindSchade Thu 19-Oct-17 12:28:59

It's not anthromorphism hmm the chimp clearly recognised the keeper and was happy to see him. So what if you think they should have euthanised her already - I'm sure they had guidance from the vets who know her and know the species and would euthanise at the appropriate point.
I thought the video was very sweet and demonstrated well how human like chimpanzees are.

Eolian Thu 19-Oct-17 12:32:28

You don't even know what kind of animal it is, and yet you think you're a better judge than her keepers of what would or wouldn't upset the animal? If the chimp enjoys human attention and is used to being photographed or filmed, there is not necessarily any reason she would feel 'exploited' .

Montacute Thu 19-Oct-17 12:33:53

How could anyone mistake a chimp for a gorilla?

I found the video very moving.

Soci Thu 19-Oct-17 12:34:43

I sort of understand your point and agree with you op but on the other hand it is further evidence of how animals are capable of very human feelings. So perhaps seeing this clip will persuade even more people to demand end to inhuman treatment of animals. Or am I desperately grasping at straws here.

picklemepopcorn Thu 19-Oct-17 12:35:48

She was lying where she wanted to lie, and the keeper who had known her years before managed to get there to say goodbye. Both he and the chimp clearly appreciated it.
She enjoyed her glimpse of an old friend enough to take a little food.

Sounds ok to me.

MrsOverTheRoad Thu 19-Oct-17 12:41:53

If it raises awareness of the beauty of animals then I think it's ok. She did get some last joy. I'm glad she did.

CoolCarrie Thu 19-Oct-17 12:45:31

I hope the dear animal took some comfort from her old friend,she seemed to,he was telling her he loved her & her patting his head was something chimps do with their own kind. Very moving to see.

Mrscaindingle Thu 19-Oct-17 12:45:54

I too am bit hmm at getting so irate about this and thinking its a gorilla??

I am sure the keepers are able to determine how best to provide end of life care, although that being said I don't really agree with animals in captivity other than for the protection of the species.

genericname Thu 19-Oct-17 12:46:46

Cameras, lighting equipment and quite a few people?

No. One person and a handheld. Could probably have done it on a decent mobile phone tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now