Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Sad things you see in charity shops.....

(122 Posts)
Clawdy Thu 19-Oct-17 10:47:26

This morning, saw a lovely "On the day you were born " type story book. On the front page, someone had written : " Darling Florence, every word in here is true, love from Nana and Grandad. " Just can't imagine parting with a book like that, or am I being sentimental?

allertse Thu 19-Oct-17 11:54:57

You can't imagine?

Maybe their grandparents were actually horrible, despite a cute message at birth.
Maybe the child has grown up now and sentiment about their grandparents goes far beyond what was written in a baby book.
Maybe they didnt mean to get rid of it and are distraught at having lost it.
Maybe they had hundreds of such books - its somewhat of a tradition in my family to write messages in books - doesnt mean you are obliged to keep them forever. Maybe they have other books with similar messages that mean more to them personally.

Personally I love buying books that other people have written messages in - it gives me a lovely cosy feeling that I am just one of many peope who enjoyed the book - and I often get rid of books with messages in. Often the joy of a gift is in the giving and the receiving, it doesn't necessarily mean you need to keep it forever.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Thu 19-Oct-17 11:59:25

I got a wedding dress still with labels attached for a pound from one.

Maudlinmaud Thu 19-Oct-17 12:01:39

I sometimes go to a second hand furniture place looking for vintage stuff to paint, I have seen some things that make me stop and think. The owner buys a lot of his stock from house clearances. I've seen family photos in frames and boxes of old photograph albums. It would make you wonder about the circumstances.
I buy many books via amazon and sometimes they have names inside or a little message, I find that really sweet and know that those books where loved and probably brought a little joy into someone else's life.

prampushingdownthehighst Thu 19-Oct-17 12:02:07

I find that really sad too....I found a book that I had been searching for for years... message from a grandmother to her granddaughter, I was so happy to have the book only hoped the grandmother never knew it had been found by stranger in Lyme Regis.

KnobOfStork Thu 19-Oct-17 12:02:40

I bought a cat figurine that had a name written in shaky blue biro hand writing on the bottom, it made me sad imagining that maybe someone had bought it after losing their cat or something sad

MorrisZapp Thu 19-Oct-17 12:03:18

Yes that makes me a bit sad too. But it's life isn't it, we don't have room to keep old books. My mum kept heaps of old books in the garage but they went mouldy and rotten.

My mum also had to deal with mountains of sentimental stuff from her own mother's house, where do we stop with the mementos.

I keep stuff that has deep meaning to me but over the years inevitably some bits slip through the cracks.

MrBloomsLeftVeg Thu 19-Oct-17 12:03:50

You can't keep everything forever. It would be the stuff of hoarders nightmares! The sentiment was in the giving and the joy in receiving. Holding onto it is just clutter

NOMOREoatcakesandcheese Thu 19-Oct-17 12:08:23

My mum worked in a charity shop years ago and this woman came in and dumped a carrier. Bag on the counter and said this is my mum’s jewellery, she’s died. It was full of lovely jet. I thought of all those years of her collecting it and lovingly looking after it so I kept it and wore it. Most of it’s gone now or been given to people who I thought might appreciate it. I can understand how the daughter needed to have it out of the house and out of her sight

My SIL works in a charity shop and tells me about dirty underwear, torn sheets etc coming in

PolarBearGoingSomewhere Thu 19-Oct-17 12:12:11

MaudlinMaud my DH sold his childhood home - just took his clothes and a few photo albums, locked the door and auctioned it off. I often wonder what the buyers thought of all the stuff they would have had to clear.

However, for DH it wasn't a cold decision to get rid of memories of his parents: it was actually a really positive step in moving forward for him. For some people and circumstances, possessions - even dearly loved ones - can't be kept as they hold them back (practically as we'd not have had the storage space, and emotionally). He loves to think his mum's ornaments and jewellery could be getting used by someone else, but even if it was all just binned, it isn't the essence of her.

CandyMelts Thu 19-Oct-17 12:13:07

I did a big book clear out recently, anything with an inscription was kept even if I'll never read it again so I'm with you OP

MiaowTheCat Thu 19-Oct-17 12:13:51

Hand made stuff always makes me wince a bit because I know the work that's gone into them and it's been chucked in the Sally Army for a quid. I try to turn it around - that the little Jean Greenhowe scarecrow in the window the other week might be bought by some child who then has it as their favourite toy to make it feel a bit nicer (hell DD2's beloved bedtime cuddly is a Goofy she got for like 50p that way).

Maudlinmaud Thu 19-Oct-17 12:32:21

Polar fair enough. Some people put emphasis on objects others concentrate on memories. I guess we are all different.
I have a home filled with photographs, probably couldn't expect my dc to keep them all after I'm gone.

MrsOverTheRoad Thu 19-Oct-17 12:36:14

OP I get it.

I buy old photographs and Iv'e a few painted portraits and I treasure them because there's nobody else to do it! blush

The photos I've got are all pre 1950 and black and white. I like looking at them. I've got fab 1920s ones of a load of women on the beach...then the same group all having a fancy dress party.

Best mates or sisters. I've also got a beautiful amateur oil of a toddler done in the 1930s...can't stand that he's gone in all likelyhood and had no relatives to treasure it!

Avocado0nToast Thu 19-Oct-17 12:38:57

I once saw loads of different novelty salt and pepper shakers in a charity shop - you know the types, a pair of penguins, two little eggs etc. There must of been 30 sets. It suddenly struck me that it was probably someone’s collection. I get that no one else wants or has room for multiple salt and pepper shakers but it made me sad.

Evilstepmum01 Thu 19-Oct-17 12:39:29

I work for a reuse charity and always feel sad when we have to clear a house or go through someones drawers and find things like a portrait of a beloved pet or baby pictures or family letters. Hate throwing things like that out, its really sad. I;m a big softie though and keep things like that!
Several years ago, I found handmade crocheted/crosstitched gifts in a box. They were personalised and beautifully made. Said things like 'to mam and dad' love from xxxx. Fortunately, I knew who xxxx was, the lady who made them years ago for her family. I kept them, then the next time I saw her husband, gave them back to her. She was terminally ill at the time and has since died, but her husband said she cried when she saw them again and was very happy to have them back.
Last week, we had old photo albums in, with lovely family pictures. We keep them for a while, see if we cant reunite them with the donor, then sadly we have to dispose of them.

littlemissneela Thu 19-Oct-17 13:05:46

Handmade crochet blankets for £5. The amount of time & love that goes into making them. I would hate to see one of mine there. I would rather have it back.

MrsOverTheRoad Thu 19-Oct-17 13:23:18

LittleMiss same with handmade baby clothes! Little jumpers and beautiful baby things. Still...at least someone will benefit from them.

TheScottishPlay Thu 19-Oct-17 13:28:55

They are just things. It's the love, the joy and the feelings of security behind them that are priceless legacy.

ShowMeMySilverLining Thu 19-Oct-17 13:39:10

I find these things sad too, but I really love the ethos of charity shops, that these are reused in some way, because most things end up redundant to someone at some point, I'm just glad they don't all go in the bin.

Clawdy Thu 19-Oct-17 18:04:17

I take the point that you can't hoard stuff forever, but a book for a new baby is a bit special, I would have thought. Maybe it was given away in error.

MrsFionaCharming Thu 19-Oct-17 18:26:59

It always makes me sad when I see charity shops advertising that they’re having a sale. I’m not really sure why come to think of it.

ShovellerDuck Thu 19-Oct-17 19:10:32

I work in an animal charity shop and it's so sad when someone brings in a dog bed, bowls, toys, collar and lead.
Occasionally someone donates an item which is really valuable because they want to help our charity.

Greenteandchives Thu 19-Oct-17 19:14:36

Soft toys sitting hopefully on a shelf. Unloved and unwanted. 😢

dementedma Thu 19-Oct-17 19:15:28

I have a photo in our bathroom of 3 little girls at the seaside. They are wearing old fashioned bathing costumes with legs, and bathing caps. I always wonder who they were...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now