Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

New ad for Bodyform! A bit too far..... Or perfectly ok?

(232 Posts)
sunandmoonshine Thu 19-Oct-17 09:54:02

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41666280

Bodyform advert replaces blue liquid with red 'blood'...

Just interested to see what people think about this. Personally I think it's a step too far. I mean, I know women bleed during their periods, but what's next, skid marks on the loo roll? Semen dripping from a condom?! shock

It's bad enough that we have that ghastly ad for V.I. POO, and the Corsodol one where the woman gobs into the sink and it's full of blood vom, and it's ALWAYS at meal times too (around 5-6pm!)

Would love to know peoples opinions on this. Thank you. smile

I hope this has not already been covered on here, I did look and couldn't see any threads about it. Sorry if it has been posted already.

Pissedoffhadenough Thu 19-Oct-17 10:09:12

I think it's a great idea. Adverts usually show an unrealistic, overly sanitised version of periods. We need to stop being so squeamish.

GummyGoddess Thu 19-Oct-17 10:12:07

It doesn't bother me, though I wish my periods were that light grin

amusedbush Thu 19-Oct-17 10:12:10

I think people need to get a grip. Periods are red - it's hardly a revelation.

I think it's a great step towards breaking the taboo surrounding periods. People can be so squeamish about it but I think that showing (to borrow pissedoff's words) an overly sanitised, fluffy, euphemistic portrayal of periods is doing nothing to help that.

elevenclips Thu 19-Oct-17 10:14:27

People are squeamish. Plenty feel faint with blood (regardless of whether it's period blood or blood from a cut).

Nappies are not advertised full of piss and shit - there will be a smiling baby/toddler.

Toilet paper is not advertised covered in piss and shit - it's stroked to demonstrate softness/compared with puppies.

Plasters are not advertised covered in blood.

The blue "lab" liquid is appropriate to demonstrate absorbency imo.

Justanothernap Thu 19-Oct-17 10:16:31

Watching this with interest, honestly, I don't like it, but I can't articulate why and I feel like I should.

Hoppinggreen Thu 19-Oct-17 10:17:02

I don't have periods but I asked teen DD who said it should also show clots and people lying in bed with spots and a hot water bottle!!!!

welshweasel Thu 19-Oct-17 10:18:30

I think it's brilliant. It's utterly bonkers that in this day and age we can't discuss a normal bodily function openly. No wonder so many women suffer in silence with menstrual problems.

PutYourBracesTogether Thu 19-Oct-17 10:19:46

Finally!!

Sparklingbrook Thu 19-Oct-17 10:21:33

I am not sure I see the point. As far as advertising is concerned no liquid of any colour is required IMO.

Women who buy this stuff know how it all works and can buy it to see if it's as good as they claim if they wish.

Can't see how the ad would make more women buy them.

newtlover Thu 19-Oct-17 10:21:41

it also shows men buying pads, that's good
I get that they don't show soiled nappies- butI suppose the selling point is absorbency, and you can demonstrate that with puring liquid onto the pad...and blue liquid is just daft.
what they should really do is stop 'deodourising' pads.

EdmundCleverClogs Thu 19-Oct-17 10:22:16

I know women bleed during their periods, but what's next, skid marks on the loo roll? Semen dripping from a condom?!

If an advert showed semen dripping from a condom, at least I'd know not to use that brand!

Not that this is real blood, but the fact is we all have it in our bodies. I think it's the idea of where it's come from that gets people all embarrassed. People (unless they have a genuine phobia) don't tend to react negatively to other parts of the body bleeding like it's shameful and should be hidden away from society. There was no outcry over the bleeding gums advert as far as I know, or any other advert showing 'blood' to make their point. I don't see the big deal in this in all honesty.

Nonibaloni Thu 19-Oct-17 10:25:42

I think it's a good change. Just over half the adult population will know what blood on a pad looks like and the just under a half may be prompted to have a think. Many many times I've heard men and boys utter statements about periods that are baffling. Most common that it's the same home hole for peeing. Most bonkers that it's like peeing, and we all choose to dribble all day rather than go all at once in a toilet.

CredulousThickos Thu 19-Oct-17 10:26:15

If men had periods this wouldn’t even be an issue.

They’d be competitive about how much blood they lost, soaking through a tampon would be the height of macho-ness, they’d announce to the room that they’d just come on...

A bit like they are about farting and taking a giant dump.

Lweji Thu 19-Oct-17 10:27:21

It's red.
Red is a great colour.
Blood is red.
They used the colour of blood.
Women bleed.
Pads absorb blood, not blue liquid.

It makes sense to me.

BTW, it looks nice and tidy. At least they didn't show a soaked up pad with coagulated blood on top. grin

Lweji Thu 19-Oct-17 10:27:38

CredulousThickos
grin

Justanothernap Thu 19-Oct-17 10:27:55

Ok I thought about it. This is probably cod science but don't we have a natural revulsion to other people's bodily fluids, snot, wee, poo (more of a bodily solid I guess)? Because such fluids harbour germs etc. So I find other people's bodily fluids gross. So a mock up of menstrual blood is also gross to me.

Also is it not just a cynical marketing ploy to raise brand awareness (in which case it's working). Not sure how this does really help anyone? Periods are nothing to be ashamed of. Still don't want to look at menstrual blood though (or any blood particularly).

Willing to admit I could be wrong though.

Alittlepotofrosie Thu 19-Oct-17 10:29:18

@CredulousThickos

Very true!

IJustGotHitByADeer Thu 19-Oct-17 10:29:18

I have a tendency to faint at the sight of blood (I did once faint after hearing just a description of a violent crime), and sometimes the fear that I’m going to faint after seeing blood sets off a panic attack, even if I don’t actually faint.

Having said that, I’ve seen the image and it’s depicted in a way that didn’t cause me any issue. Just looked a bit like my own period actually. But I would be concerned that other people who are similarly sensitive to blood might not be as ok with seeing it as I was.

CountessofGrantham Thu 19-Oct-17 10:29:34

Great idea. About time we stopped pussyfooting around with things like this.

maddiemookins16mum Thu 19-Oct-17 10:36:15

I'm in two minds. I get the point but we're not idiots, we know blood is red, I don't need reminding thanks.

RhinosDontEatOatcakes Thu 19-Oct-17 10:37:15

I think it's unnecessary and gross.

I know what menstrual blood looks like, I don't need to be educated. Pretty sure most males can imagine what it looks like too - but they don't need sanitary pads so the advert isn't really for them is it?

It's a bodily fluid. Yes it's natural and normal, but that doesn't mean I need it or want to see it depicted on tv.

I can't see why people feel this is so fantastic.

MargoLovebutter Thu 19-Oct-17 10:37:32

Do we really need to see blood on a pad to know what its for?!

I know what loo roll is for, I don't need to see it covered in wee & poo.

I know what tissues are for, I don't need to see them full of snot.

I know what ear buds are for, I don't need to see them covered in earwax (yes, I know there is an argument you shouldn't clean your ears with them)

I know what nit cream is for, I don't need to see a head covered in nits.

Instead of showing a fake picture of a pad marked with red liquid or blue liquid, why can't advertisements just tell the truth in a clear factual way? The pad in the photo clearly hasn't actually been worn, so it is still 'unreal', just a different colour of liquid.

thecatfromjapan Thu 19-Oct-17 10:39:09

Just to say: Bodyform don't add that horrible perfume that sets your fanjo on fire (Always do that. sad)

I feel this is actually more important than the ad. smile

whattheactualflump Thu 19-Oct-17 10:40:30

*People are squeamish. Plenty feel faint with blood (regardless of whether it's period blood or blood from a cut).
Nappies are not advertised full of piss and shit - there will be a smiling baby/toddler.
Toilet paper is not advertised covered in piss and shit - it's stroked to demonstrate softness/compared with puppies.
Plasters are not advertised covered in blood.
The blue "lab" liquid is appropriate to demonstrate absorbency imo.*

Totally this ^^, very well said elevenclips. Using pretend blood is completely unnecessary and I am not squeamish or prudish.

Also it is not representative of an actual period anyway, if they used ones that looks like mine it would look like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre with blood clots like sliced liver, therefore this stupid advert is just as 'unreal' as using the blue liquid (which as elevenclips so rightly said is used to show the absorbancy, no one is pretending period blood is blue). However, now they are pretending period blood is minimal & liquid, which is likely to confuse/misinform those who don't have periods, or make young women who are using/experiencing periods for the first time that something is wrong/they are different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now