Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can you define "flexitarian " without looking it up?

(45 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

AnInchWasPinched Thu 19-Oct-17 09:06:28

Never come across this word before today, but then I don't spend my time reading about diet and stuff. I'm intrigued as to how commonly it is used and how out of touch with the real world I am Do you know what it means?

building2017 Thu 19-Oct-17 09:07:27

I assume it means people who are mostly vegetarian but will eat meat sometimes/at a push.

ratspeaker Thu 19-Oct-17 09:09:05

Mostly vegetarian but likes or will eat some meat, fowl or fish.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Thu 19-Oct-17 09:09:34

I would think it's someone who eats whatever they fancy in that particular moment while using a funny name to have an excuse.

But I might be wrong.

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 19-Oct-17 09:10:44

Pretentious twat who feels the need to give themselves an attention seeking label for merely eating how people are supposed to eat.

Having a meal without meat even several times a week doesn't make anyone anything special. It's how people used to eat and how half the world still eats when they don't live in a country where food is relatively cheap compared to most people's incomes.

Glitteryfrog Thu 19-Oct-17 09:14:15

Someone with a varied diet.

Anecdoche Thu 19-Oct-17 09:15:06

oh yes i read about that.
it is a total twat who doesnt eat meat every day and thinks thats a thing that needs a stupid name.

oooh look at me i only eat meat some days

yeah douchebag that's what most do. we dont give it a name and yell about it hmm

GrockleBocs Thu 19-Oct-17 09:16:56

Someone who thinks they should be vegetarian for whatever reason (health, ethics, etc) but feels guilty at not having the committment to carry it through.

MrsZB Thu 19-Oct-17 09:17:19

I understand it to be someone who is sometimes vegetarian.

I wouldn't ever use it though.

DialsMavis Thu 19-Oct-17 09:18:01

It does sound twatty but I think I probably am one. Never cook.or eat meat at home but do eat it when out sometimes

LegoCaltrops Thu 19-Oct-17 09:25:30

Someone who is unable to properly commit to being vegetarian. Often because they CBA / haven't the willpower to avoid bacon etc. However, sometimes it's the best they can manage due to an already restricted diet.

AlternativeTentacle Thu 19-Oct-17 09:26:44

An attention seeking carnivore.

Branleuse Thu 19-Oct-17 09:29:10

Someone who is mostly veggie, but not exclusively

AccrualIntentions Thu 19-Oct-17 09:29:32

I've never heard the term used, but assume it means someone who is vegetarian most or some of the time but sometimes eats fish or meat? (Which doesn't sound like it needs its own word, tbh!)

HeadDreamer Thu 19-Oct-17 09:30:18

Vegetarians who will eat meat when they have to, so as to not being difficult. For example when going overseas or when being hosted by someone (not professional kitchens as they are used to cooking many dishes in the kitchen at the same time).

But I know because I know a few.

IsThisTheRealYou Thu 19-Oct-17 09:31:10

I've not looked it up and I've not read any posts other than the OP.

I thought it was a word used to describe people who are sort of vegetarians but not quite. It's a silly word and might be used as an insult to describe a flakey vegetarian.

I'm posting this without checking so might be making a right tit of myself. I wouldn't have used the term in real life as I would check what it means first.

PoppyPopcorn Thu 19-Oct-17 09:32:23

I know what it means - it means "likes to pretend that they are a vegetarian/vegan but only when it suits and not when they fancy a bacon sandwich. Synonym for special snowflake".

IsThisTheRealYou Thu 19-Oct-17 09:33:29

Hah, looks like I was right. In RL if in doubt I'd ask Siri...

PoppyPopcorn Thu 19-Oct-17 09:34:42

I understand it to be someone who is sometimes vegetarian.

Yesterday I had cereal and toast for breakfast, baked potato and cheese for lunch and a pasta thing with pesto for dinner.

Was I a vegetarian yesterday? No way would I describe myself that way.

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 19-Oct-17 09:34:53

Btw, I don't think there is anything wrong with actively choosing to eat less meat. That is a Good Thing for animal welfare, health and the environment. But I don't think it is necessary to give people who do this a label, except perhaps omnivore.

But how often would a person be 'allowed' to eat meat in order to claim to be a flexitarian? Once a week? Once a day? Once in a blue moon?

What about someone who eats no meat for a few days and then goes out for a big traditional cooked breakfast, followed by a massive carvery? Are they a 'better' flexitarian than someone who eats meat a few times a week, but only ever has a tiny amount because they flavour mostly plant based meals with bits of meat, eg macaoni cheese with a couple of rashers of bacon in a whole family sized dish or a salad with a sprinkling of anchovies?

IsThisTheRealYou Thu 19-Oct-17 09:35:00

I think I might be the alcohol equivalent of a flexitarian. I rarely drink but, on occasion, I do. 😂

HeadDreamer Thu 19-Oct-17 09:35:11

THe ones I know aren’t twat! A guy I worked with is one. He only cooks veggie and eat veggie when out. He doesn’t like bacon. He will eat it when going to friends because not everyone can to cater to many different diet restrictions. It’s so difficult nowadays with all the gluten and diary free people too.

And he’s backpacking for a year now and you have to relax when you go travelling. Some places just don’t do veggie. You don’t have to go all out steak ofc. But you can’t avoid that shrimp paste, dashi, anchovy or oyster sauce sometimes. The food can still be mostly vegetarian. An example would be a risotto cooked in fish stock. Or a steamed egg with a bit of bacon.

AnInchWasPinched Thu 19-Oct-17 09:35:15

grin I agree with some of these definitions! It sounds like a totally superfluous word to me and someone who eats a normal diet. Not in everyday usage then!

Would I count as a flexitarian, we eat meat 2-3, occasionally 4 times a week? But only because we can't afford to eat it every day.

Or do you have to have the desire to be a vegetarian there? but just can't be arsed

IsThisTheRealYou Thu 19-Oct-17 09:41:50

THe ones I know aren’t twat! A guy I worked with is one.
Does he describe himself as a flexitarian though? I think it's the word that's sounds a bit silly. I suppose it amounts to the same thing as simply saying I try and eat a vegetarian diet but I'm not super strict.

Lots of vegetarians that I know aren't 100% strict. Especially if travelling etc. The example of shrimp paste is a good one.

wonkylegs Thu 19-Oct-17 09:43:31

My sister describes herself as one. We describe her as a fussy bugger who likes jumping on the latest dietary fad.
As a flexitarian she seems to eat pretty much the same as us (sometimes meat, sometimes not) but has an excuse when she wants to be awkward.
She has also been vegetarian (except for Christmas dinner) , vegan, gluten intolerant, dairy intolerant, organic only, paleo, no 'citric acid' and about a million other fads.
I don't really care except when she expects me to cater for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now