Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Haven Or Butlins?!

(26 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Thu 19-Oct-17 07:49:22

Sadly all our holiday budget will stretch to next year- been Bognor Butlins before me and dd liked it but Dh not keen as wasn't near to many sandy beaches.
Going away next year with 5 yo dd and 2 yo ds would recommend Butlins again or maybe haven the Devon cliff one looks ok?
Are Havens terrible?

Sirzy Thu 19-Oct-17 07:51:03

I like haven I always look for smaller/quieter sites though

EdithWeston Thu 19-Oct-17 07:52:48

Havens vary.

Another one to consider is huge sandy beaches are your priority is the one in Mablethorpe.

Imfinehowareyou Thu 19-Oct-17 07:55:07

Haven is fab. I would pick it over Butlins every time. It is much cleaner. It is less crowded. You can drive to your accommodation instead of walking miles with a trolley (I have only been to Butlins Minehead). You don't need to start queuing early to get into the entertainment.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 19-Oct-17 07:56:44

Priorities would be near to a decent beach and entertainment for the dcs stuff going on or nearby (if there's pier with stuff on that's would fab) thanks you

ImminentDisaster Thu 19-Oct-17 08:02:10

One of us has picked up a sickness bug every time we've been to Butlin's. I'd probably go to Haven!

PixieDust1990 Thu 19-Oct-17 08:08:44

Butlins everytime! I went to Haven once when I was little and it was sooo boring compared to Butlins! Never again

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 19-Oct-17 09:04:36

See I do like the entertainment of Butlins always something happening so I'm hoping haven does have enough on

HemanOrSheRa Thu 19-Oct-17 09:10:21

The entertainment at Haven sites is much more low key than Butlins, particularly in the day time. And it's geared towards younger children I find. Saying that, I much prefer Haven sites. The Haven site at Burnham on Sea is lovely. Close to Burnham beach and Weston Super Mare with the pier. Lots of other things to do in the surrounding area too.

mrsnec Thu 19-Oct-17 09:15:32

I just got back from Haven Weymouth Bay. Good mix of people from all walks of life and everyone got on fine.

Caravans were ok. Get the best you can afford. Site was massive and very spread out. Kids loved the place. I've never been to Butlins so I can't compare.

Site facilities were good. I was worried though as I've known people come home early from Haven holidays as they were so rough.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 19-Oct-17 09:18:23

Haven for us, although we usually go with Parkdean and Croyde (site is called Ruda). We have never been to Butlins, I don't fancy it but that's probably from watching too much Hi De Hi in my childhood!

user1494409994 Thu 19-Oct-17 09:31:59

Been to 3 different Haven sites and they've all been fine although different sizes and facilities. Our holidays for the last 7 years have been on Haven sites and the kids love them. Kids are 11, 8, and 4. Also been to a couple of Parkdean sites that have been nice too. Never been to Butlins.

officerjudyhopps Thu 19-Oct-17 10:02:53

Can recommend Haven Devon Cliffs if a sandy beach is important to you. The beach there is clean and beautiful, sheltered from the wind, nice new beach bar, etc.
We went this year and it surpassed our expectations, lots to do for little ones. Agree that you should push for the best caravan you can afford, ours wasn’t the best and it was a let down on an otherwise good and cost effective holiday.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 19-Oct-17 10:23:41

officer can I ask you about the facilities on site and entertainment was there enough to entertain 2 young dcs? Many thanks

UntilTheCowsComeHome Thu 19-Oct-17 10:29:31

Butlins! Go to Minehead for a beautiful beach and lovely surrounding areas with lots to do.

If you don't want to be walking miles to your accommodation with your luggage, look into a private caravan rental.
There's loads of lovely ones on the site. Look at UKcaravans4hire.

x2boys Thu 19-Oct-17 10:38:02

having been to both [this is only what our budget can stretch to every year!]i would say Butlins is better for entertainment have been to skegness twice theres always something going on haven is good but as pp mentioned the entertainment is more low key but they have a decent pool soft play etc the evening entertainment is always a bit of a much of a muchness at holiday camps i find but x factor' stars' and britains got talent'stars ' are more likely to appear at butlins if thats your thing?

x2boys Thu 19-Oct-17 10:40:40

Butlins is nothing like the Butlins of old Gretchen nothing at all like Hi de hi.

tinypop4 Thu 19-Oct-17 11:06:05

What about Pontins at Camber Sands? Similar to Butlins but with the bonus of a lovely sandy beach

EddieHitler Thu 19-Oct-17 12:53:47

I'd probably choose Haven over Butlins. Butlins are okay, great pools, funfair and outdoor areas, etc, but I find it a bit impersonal and hate that your car is miles from your room and the car park is always full. Okay if you stay on site, but we like to explore. Minehead is lovely though, and the beach is right beside the site. Never book basic accommodation at Butlins, it really is awful.

I think Haven is nicer. The staff are friendlier and most of the sites are lovely and clean. We choose smaller parks; cosier, less queueing, less rowdy, you can park by your van, but we love Devon Cliffs too, Exmouth is really lovely. Again, book the best accommodation you can stretch to though, as you really do get what you pay for.

U2HasTheEdge Thu 19-Oct-17 13:10:55

Butlins.

Haven has very little to do, compared to Butlins.

I have never had any problems with it not being clean at Skegness. Staff were always fantastic as well. Haven has poor entertainment imo in the evenings but if your children are very young I'm sure they will enjoy what they do have. At Butlins there is something for everyone.

U2HasTheEdge Thu 19-Oct-17 13:13:31

Sorry, I missed the ages of your children!

mrsnec Thu 19-Oct-17 13:55:42

Mine are 3 and 18 months so Haven was perfect. Our friend stayed with us he said if we liked Haven at Weymouth we'd like Pontins Camber sands. His children are 7 and 9 and he goes to Haven and Pontins with them regularly. We would choose Pontins Camber Sands if we did a similar holiday again.

Just to explain the caravan thing. Ours had an awful seating area and makeshift table and a tiny shower. The table arrangement meant some people were sat on footstalls to eat. My parent's caravan had proper sofas and dining suite and an outdoor terrace with patio set and much bigger shower and it just felt more comfy.

officerjudyhopps Thu 19-Oct-17 13:57:42

Of course - we took DD when she was 2.5-ish and there was plenty for her to do.

The group activities such as the sensory morning/rhyme time and messy play were ideal for her age.

Can’t speak for the age 5+ activities as we didn’t go to them.

Swimming pool is a great size and has a fun pool section with slides. It doesn’t open until 10am though which is a pain if you have early risers.

The children’s entertainment in the evening starts at a good time though (5pm) which counteracts that.

Several different play areas dotted across the site, including a sand pit one next to the beach.

There is a small soft play area inside the arcade/bar too.

As I mentioned the beach is great and it’s a very pleasant cliff top walk to Exmouth.

We were lucky to have great weather so you might be pushed for activities if it’s raining but that’s true of anywhere I suppose!

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 19-Oct-17 17:37:35

Thank you all has anyone been to the Weymouth haven?

KeepItAsItIs Thu 19-Oct-17 18:09:15

We have been 2 2 Weymouth Haven's. Lovely sites. But we like Butlins because of all the entertainment. I'm not bothered about parking my car outside my accommodation.

I certainly wouldn't recommend a Pontins as an alternative to Butlins or Haven.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now