Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you ever wake up feeling really refreshed?

(45 Posts)
LostInTheTunnelOfGoats Thu 19-Oct-17 07:33:30

I was just thinking about this as I got ready for work. No matter what time I sleep at, or how long for, I always feel tired and sore when I wake up. I don't think I've bounced out of bed feeling energised since pre student days. DC are past the age where I should be permanently tired, and I'm usually in bed before 11pm

HotelEuphoria Thu 19-Oct-17 07:35:52

No, and I always wake up before I want to. Sometimes it is DH or DS getting up for work, sometimes I am too bloody hot, sometimes it is a cat sitting on my back and pawing my face for food.

I would love to sleep on my own in a dark cold room with no disruptions until I wake up full of sleep.

AnonEvent Thu 19-Oct-17 07:42:51

Nope, I don't know why either. Do you start to feel better after a shower and coffee/tea?

I do know that going to bed by 11 feels normal to me, but I've got friends who are in bed by 9:30 or 10, and they seem to be more energetic during the day.

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Thu 19-Oct-17 07:45:11

Me neither

MrsZB Thu 19-Oct-17 07:46:02

Not really. I do try and go to bed quite early though 9.30/10. But then DD woke me up in the night and my DS woke me up at 6.30.

TeachesOfPeaches Thu 19-Oct-17 07:47:07

How many hours sleep are you getting?

Crispbutty Thu 19-Oct-17 07:47:31

Nope I'm the same and no idea why. Apart from when I'm on holiday when I do seem to be much bouncier in a morning.

LunaTheCat Thu 19-Oct-17 07:47:43

Yep. If I get 7 hrs solid and ( sadly) that means no alcohol.😟

RefuseTheLies Thu 19-Oct-17 07:48:43

I sleep 21.30 to 06.00 and I have a 45 min nap during the day whilst my toddler is having her nap, and I am constantly exhausted.

CappuccinoCake Thu 19-Oct-17 07:48:45

No. I need more sleep than I get but I stir easily at anything and cant get back to sleep.

LostInTheTunnelOfGoats Thu 19-Oct-17 07:49:25

About 7-8 hours.

I do start feeling better after coffee and a shower, but I don't fully come to until about 10

BertieBotts Thu 19-Oct-17 07:52:39

No. I'm slow to warm up in the morning and only really feel good by about 9 or 10.

That said it is worth trying an iron and vitamin D supplement or ask your gp for tests. It could be a deficiency. If you genuinely feel wrecked and tired all the time that's not right.

I do normally find I'm okay once I've got going but I'm definitely a night owl.

How is your sleep hygiene (consistency of sleep, avoidance of caffeine/alcohol most evenings, snoozing, napping, etc?), diet including water and exercise/outdoor time? These things can make a difference to your energy levels, and most of us aren't that great at keeping them up. A lot of people are dehydrated in the morning so drinking a pint of water when you wake up is a good idea.

MsJolly Thu 19-Oct-17 07:53:08

No am a rubbish sleeper😢

BertieBotts Thu 19-Oct-17 07:55:35

I'm looking forward to the clocks going back, I find that really helps me. I am lucky to have a mostly afternoon/evening work pattern so I can potter and laze and start my day slowly which I find really helpful. Sometimes just go back to bed once DC at school blush

CrowRoad Thu 19-Oct-17 07:57:16

I go to bed early (9.30-10), read before bed and have been waking up at 7 with DD.

I feel shit all day. I yawn constantly. Literally permanently exhausted.

DD was a 5am bird until a year or two ago so I thought I'd feel better having a longer sleep but I don't at all. I've had blood tests done and everything is fine. Dr suspects low-level depression. It also still takes me a while to drift off. I wake several times with an old shoulder injury and I'm awake before dawn but try to snuggle in and mentally plan my day/worry about things I said 10 years ago etc. until DD wakes because it feels like a luxury that I'm not immediately torn from my bed.

I think eating well, not being deficient in vitamins and daily exercise and meditation helps but I've not got the mix right at the moment.

RainbowSpiral Thu 19-Oct-17 10:48:08

Yes I do wake up feeling refreshed. Kids are older though so I sleep through, maybe 12 to 7.30.

PinkHeart5914 Thu 19-Oct-17 10:53:06

If I’ve slept well, but I am currently pregnant with baby 3 and I wake up many times a night ending a wee of being kicked

soberexpat Thu 19-Oct-17 10:55:23

Yes. But only if I sleep for 11-12 hours. So never!

On a serious note have you had your vitamin D and B checked? I was constantly exhausted and my levels were through the floor. Now I take a strong supplement I’m a bit better.

Allhallowseve Thu 19-Oct-17 10:57:09

Mostly I actually do and both my kids are still up in the night and up before 6 am but I’m in bed by 8.30pm early to bed early to rise

minesapintofwine Thu 19-Oct-17 11:00:52

No but I know I need to go to bed earlier. I think I would need to go to bed at an early time several nights in a row before feeling the benefits.
I wish I felt better in the mornings.

ednabuckett Thu 19-Oct-17 11:11:25

I was going to look for this / post this exact thing today. I am on half term so have deliberately been going to bed earlier, trying to establish a better before bed routine but I feel rubbish every morning.

I know that I am subconsciously stressing about all sorts. My jaw aches from grinding my teeth most of the night but I couldn't tell you what I am actually thinking about. I have vivid dreams about stuff related to work and I can magically think up anything to stress and worry about at all hours.

Having said all of that, the past few nights have been the least disturbed, but I still feel like crap! Almost hungover... groggy, tired, just generally bleugh.

I really do think that good deep sleep is a gift - I think some people have it and some don't. I have never really slept that well thinking about it. Hence I look 100 and have the complexion of a paving slab.

ednabuckett Thu 19-Oct-17 11:12:15

How would I go about getting vit D/B checked?

ElfEars Thu 19-Oct-17 11:18:27

Only on a Sunday when OH is off. The rest of the week I'm exhausted. I need to wake up at around 7.30 though. Any later and I have a migrane.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-Oct-17 11:19:52

No and I've just bought a tonic and magnesium to see if that will help.

CrowRoad Thu 19-Oct-17 11:42:20

Edna I just went to my GP and explained I'd had extended fatigue and none of the usual tricks (exercise, sleep hygiene etc) seemed to be helping. They ordered a full panel of blood tests but I did have to ask for vitamins to be included.

Hungover is exactly as I'd describe it too! Horrid. I feel like my day is a failure before it's even begun most days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now