Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

PTA Question!

(16 Posts)
DollyParsnip Thu 19-Oct-17 07:02:59

Hi all

I am the new-ish Chair of our PTA. We have been asked to support a Child's Parent who is running a half marathon to fund raise for a Charity which helped her Parents out when her Dad was diagnosed with MS. The plan suggested would be a race Night with us and the other Charity sharing the profit 50/50.

We don't support Children in Need, Comic Relief etc as Parents found it got too expensive buying the themed Charity stuff then paying in School. They would prefer money raised in school to stay in school so they could choose who else to support. The exception to this is the Poppy Appeal.

So, WWYD? My instinct is to politely refuse but I think the other members are torn. I think it would be different if it was a Child's Parent but not a Grandparent.

Thank you!

NapQueen Thu 19-Oct-17 07:04:32

Inappropriate. Its hard enough raising enough funds for the school without having to theb give half of it away to an unrelated charity.

AnotherNewt Thu 19-Oct-17 07:08:20

I can see why you are torn, you want to be humane and you want to help.

The snag is, is that is you allow one family's dear cause to become a school event, then you have no grounds to refuse the next one, or the next and yes that does risk the parent community as a whole turning off from fundraising.

One thing to consider in the longer term is if you do have an annual charity/school event fundraiser - and have the pupil parliament (or equivalent) choose the charity from a short list. Then any future requests can be fed into that system.

SavoyCabbage Thu 19-Oct-17 07:10:32

Who has asked you?

If it’s the parent rather than the school, I’d just say what you said in your OP about Children in Need etc.

scotchpie Thu 19-Oct-17 07:11:50

I wouldn't, the purpose of PTA is so the funds raised benefit the children in school. Where does it stop.

You & the rest of PTA will end up with all the flack.

DollyParsnip Thu 19-Oct-17 07:16:22

Thank you for your speedy replies!

You have all summed up my feelings on this, and that if we're seen to support one Parent in their Fundraising we're setting ourselves up to support all efforts which will be exhausting!

Thank you for putting my mind at rest and making me feel less mean blush.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Thu 19-Oct-17 07:17:16

That’s like asking the RSPCA to raise funds for lifeboats!

I would definitely politely decline - your remit is to raise funds for the school.

SandyDenny Thu 19-Oct-17 07:24:17

PTA fundraising must be for the school only, I don't think you need to feel wrong to politely say no at all

NoSquirrels Thu 19-Oct-17 07:24:21

In this situation, we'd say no as PTA, but suggest they ask school to mention it in a newsletter, which they probably will, and possibly ask the relevant class two to forward a JustGiving link to the particular class.

TheFlandersPigeonMurderer Thu 19-Oct-17 07:27:56

The only way these things ever work is the parent having a table at a school fete etc, specifically labelled as raising funds for X rather than the PTA.
Don’t get involved, you’ll never hear the end of it <sage nod>

Silverstreaks Thu 19-Oct-17 07:27:57

Decline. As a pp said it's hard enough raising for your charity.

hippyhippyshake Thu 19-Oct-17 07:29:38

No because a) your mission statement should specify e.g. We exist to provide extra funds for the school which benefits (all) our children and b) it would open the floodgates to others.

If the school want to do something outside the remit of the PTA fair enough and the family could post on school FB about sponsoring an event but it would be organised by them.

As you don't support any other charity events you could donate a percentage or lump sum of your profit each year to a charity/charities of your choice and where parents could put forward charities that mean something to them, possibly concentrating on those relating to children. Up to £500? Or is that too much? Just an idea.

YellowMakesMeSmile Thu 19-Oct-17 07:30:12

I wouldn't agree to this either, I'd be happy to let them have a raffle or table to sell things at an event as a compromise.

Kelvingrove Thu 19-Oct-17 07:31:33

Does your group have any formal constitution? It might be worth checking because there should be something in the wording to clarify how funds can be used. A constitution would make decisions like this straightforward.

DollyParsnip Thu 19-Oct-17 07:55:51

We do have a formal constution & Mission Statement - this situation has been discussed because we would also benefit from the fundraising, albeit in a smaller way than if we were keeping 100% of the money raised.

I like the idea of asking the Parent to put the details in the School Newsletters, that way the info is out there and it's then up to other Parents if they choose to support them.

Thank you all for your wisdom!

MagicMarkers Thu 19-Oct-17 09:53:47

www.gov.uk/guidance/work-with-other-charities

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now