Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Too old to retrain in fitness? And PT's advise?

(23 Posts)
AfterBurn Wed 18-Oct-17 21:21:09

I'm early 30's with an office background, currently unemployed. I've went through stages in life of loving exercise and then falling off the wagon and gaining weight. I'm now back into it and loving it! It's so good for my mental health and it's the only subject I actually find really interesting and would enjoy studying, I'd love to help others. I've looked into some courses and apparently I could qualify to REPS level 3 in just a few months. But am I too old now? my fitness is ok and I'm not overweight but it's not great by any means. Would finding work be difficult? It seems mostly self employed work and also pay doesn't seem great. Or do I do what I had planned and study for my degree in business in February, potential to pay well in future but god that's boring!

Alison100199 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:27:18

Not at all. I was older than you when I retrained and I now make a very good living at it. Go for it!

newbebe Wed 18-Oct-17 21:57:21

I thought you were going to be 60!
Your so young, go for it! You have experience in losing wait as well, I think it’s a great chance!

AfterBurn Thu 19-Oct-17 08:46:39

Thank you both smile

Falconhoof1 Thu 19-Oct-17 09:20:05

I had a Pilates instructor who was well over 50 and totally amazing. I think she trained quite late. Go for it!

Delatron Thu 19-Oct-17 09:39:05

I retrained at 40. I prefer to be trained by older 40+ instructors than youngsters in their 20s. Go for it.

FunkinEll Thu 19-Oct-17 09:43:43

Not at all! One of my favourite trainers at the gym in a woman in her 40s. I also know a few mums at school who are late 30s/ early 40s who do are PT/ fitness instructors.

Do it if it's something that you'll live and will make you happy 😊

FrankensteinsSister Thu 19-Oct-17 10:18:44

I’m also considering this! My worry is that as technology develops, in person personal training will become obsolete as games and VR become able to provide personalised programs.

VictoriaMcdade Thu 19-Oct-17 10:51:54

I think that a lot of it is about people skills. I have no desire to have a session with some fit young thing in his or her 20s who I imagine is looking at my straining body with disgust / pity. I much prefer an older PT. (Saying that my Pilates teacher is a young man of about 25 and he is ace, so there are exceptions)

teaandakitkat Thu 19-Oct-17 11:14:27

My gym imstructor is a woman in her late 30s. I like her because I can relate to hee. She's been pregnant and had babies and carried them around on one hip for years. She knows it's hard to fit decent exercise time around a busy family.

You are definitely not too old!

Be3Al2Si6O18 Thu 19-Oct-17 12:00:07

30's? Easy.

The difficulty will come if you lapse around 40's then it gets harder so go for it but keep it up.

AfterBurn Thu 19-Oct-17 20:12:18

Ah thank you all for the positive comments, I think I will go for it! If it doesn't work out for me, I can then train elsewhere but I'll give it a good shot.

Walnutwhiplash Thu 19-Oct-17 20:29:39

Most people on my course were teens/early 20s looking for a first career or late 30s/40s (mostly accountants/teachers/ex forces) looking for a new career. The tutors had trained PTs in their 60s - so 30s is definitely not too old!

topcat2014 Thu 19-Oct-17 20:32:13

I am 45 (until tomorrow ;))and my PT is the same age. As it happens we were at school together.

No reason why you can't do it.

He runs his own gym, for the over 30s.

Not sure I would like a 25 year old training me - I would feel like an old fart and probably drop out.

AfterBurn Fri 20-Oct-17 08:56:53

Those who have trained themselves, what level of fitness did you have when you started training?

Walnutwhiplash Fri 20-Oct-17 10:43:19

I did a marathon in the middle of my course so had pretty good cv fitness, reasonable strength and flexibility. You don't need to me mega fit but a reasonable level of fitness is desirable because there's a lot of practical stuff (participants train each other so you need to be able to demo exercises when you are the trainer and to do other peoples' training plans when you are the client). Lots of different ages/fitness levels/body shapes on my course (and a few people nursing injuries). You'll be a lot fitter at the end of the course for sure!

RedCrab Fri 20-Oct-17 10:53:34

Not be but dh quit his IT job in 2011 - he was 32 and retrained as a PT. he's now 37 and in just five years he's achieved awesomeness as a personal trainer. Well, not PT but movement coach - he's been in Runners World, Men's Health, the Evening Standard and on the BBC. He's very niche but he did the basic training, worked in a boxing gym in West Hampstead for a while and built up private clients, thrn left and developed his own classes and now also runs workshops. So from 32 to 37, he's gone from hating his office job to doing what he loves, and doing brilliantly st it.

So go for it!

BIWI Fri 20-Oct-17 10:56:33

Why on earth would you think that you're too old?!

Go for it.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 20-Oct-17 10:58:15

I know instructors in their 50s- 60s.
The nature of the classes has changed over time and they've followed their demographic to older classes or gentler exercise like pilates as they find it harder to maintain lots of high impact than they once did.

You're not too old smile

Killerqueen2244 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:09:03

You’re definitely not too old but have a look at the local market, are there a lot of gyms around? Are there a lot of pt’s? I live in an area where there are loads of pt’s and it’s not a massive town. Competition is fierce and a lot of people aren’t making enough money to have it as a full time job.

It might be worth getting a job at a local gym so that people get to know you and you can pick up word of mouth recommendations. The pay is crap but it gets you into the industry. You could also look at qualifying in aerobic classes like Aqua (always a shortage of instructors), spinning and circuits to supplement your pt income.

It’s not an easy job to establish but once you’re up and running it’s an enjoyable profession if you genuinely want to help people work towards their fitness targets.

RedCrab Fri 20-Oct-17 11:21:59

I don't if i agree about saturated markets or not smile I am also self employed in a very competitive market. Marketers are a dime a dozen. So are PTs. Most people I know who are freelance or self employed are in saturated and competitive fields. I wouldn't let it stop me though. Ultimately when you are self employed in a competitive industry, the unique selling point becomes yourself - why people should work with you over someone else selling the same services. I think this probably takes time to develop and refine but it is why one PT has full clients over another.

I do agree about diversifying and creating multiple streams of revenue though. I offer different packages; DH has private clients, groups classes (his own development but it's the same as offering aerobics classes as well), workshops and online training. You could also train in nutrition and offer consultation on various lifestyle elements as part of different packages.

RedCrab Fri 20-Oct-17 11:25:18

And yes definitely to starting in a gym because they act as a conduit to clients coming in. You could always set up on your own once you have a big enough group of clients that are loyal to you.

AfterBurn Fri 20-Oct-17 18:15:57

Lots of helpful advise thank you. I live in a large city at the moment and will train here, I'm moving to a small town next year but lots of people there are into their fitness so I do think there will be a demand for it. The course I'm looking at is home study then 5 days practical training and then exams.
Hopefully my situation will be helpful to potential clients, I've been a size 16, a size 8 and everywhere in between, had 2 pregnancies and juggled work, family, exercise over the years, I know I'd find the job very rewarding. I have a huge interest in nutrition so would definitely study in that area too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now