Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tell me about general anaesthetic please!

(121 Posts)
NoDinner Wed 18-Oct-17 20:11:46

I'm having an operation with a GA next week, it should be a day case (about 90 minutes).

I am quite apprehensive about the whole thing; haven't had surgery since I was a child.

TheQueenOfWands Wed 18-Oct-17 20:13:13

It's lush.

Think of it as uninterrupted sleep.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 18-Oct-17 20:13:28

It’s just like a really nice sleep. I’ve had about twelve now (lost count). I rather enjoy them.

What do you want to know exactly?

All the best for your op flowers

prampushingdownthehighst Wed 18-Oct-17 20:14:29

Had one about 2 weeks ago and was apprehensive but it was fine.
Out like a light and came around absolutely fine, they have improved so much ( terrible flashbacks to 1982!!)
Good luck.

Polter Wed 18-Oct-17 20:14:59

I love it.

theaveragewife Wed 18-Oct-17 20:15:09

They tell you to count, and then you get a nice warm wibbly feeling, and then you wake up. Don't worry flowers good luck.

SaigonSaigon Wed 18-Oct-17 20:16:38

I was so scared of having one but my Mum reassured me it was actually quite nice - and it was. You'll be fine. No ill effects at all.

NoDinner Wed 18-Oct-17 20:16:55

Half of me is worried I won't come out of it and the other half is worried they won't give me enough and I'll feel everything! shock

I do have a tendency to overthink stuff.

And, can I wear bedsocks on my feet during the operation? I love my bedsocks!

Bratsandtwats Wed 18-Oct-17 20:17:56

They'll talk you through it so try not to worry.

SaigonSaigon Wed 18-Oct-17 20:18:55

I think everyone worries about those things. It's natural. It they'll be keeping such a close eye on you none of that will happen. Hope it goes well for you.

NoDinner Wed 18-Oct-17 20:19:17

This will sound mad but when the body is 'under' what happens if you need the loo? Does that all stop whilst under anaesthetic?

sparechange Wed 18-Oct-17 20:21:14

Anaesthetists are, in my humble opinion, the nicest of all the doctors
They’ll do everything to put you at ease

Think of something nice, like a holiday, as you go under, and you’ll probably ‘dream’ about it while you’re out

You will feel a bit groggy when you come round but you’ll get a cup of tea and plenty of time to get up at your own pace

NoDinner Wed 18-Oct-17 20:23:17

I'm worried about the pain afterwards as well. I know they will give me pain relief but I am a wuss.

GreyOwls Wed 18-Oct-17 20:23:30

It’s lovely. Ive had six.

They give you stockings (stops DVT) and possibly a pre-med injection which relaxes you, then they’ll ask you to count backwards from 10. You wont reach 8 grin You’ll feel all warm and relaxed and loved and woozy. then a second later (or so it seems!) you’ll wake up.

GreyOwls Wed 18-Oct-17 20:25:02

If you’re in pain just tell them and they’ll give you more. I can fully understand why people get addicted to Codeine and Morphine.

GreyOwls Wed 18-Oct-17 20:26:42

You’ll have been asked to fast beforehand so there’ll be no need to go.

OuchLegoHurts Wed 18-Oct-17 20:26:46

I really like them too! I enjoy being looked after and relaxing!

DottyDotAgain Wed 18-Oct-17 20:28:06

I've had five and I love love love the sleepiness I feel when I finally come round! It takes me ages to wake up so I always end up staying overnight, but I get the best rest ever so don't mind at All..!

Having said that, I always get incredibly tearful just before I go in to have the anaesthetic - and every time it's happened the staff have been lovely - they talk me through it all and /or chat and make jokes, so don't worry if you get anxious or tearful beforehand - they've seen it all before and will get you through it. Afterwards is just a dreamy lovely sleepy time! smile

Landy10 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:29:19

You can't wear bedsocks you are going into an operating theatre.
The anaesthetist will ask you some random chatty questions, stick a needle into you and then you'll be out like a light.
I've had 2, first time no issues and second time blood loss issues resulting from the reason for the operation but still woke up in the end smile

GiraffesLikeToDance Wed 18-Oct-17 20:30:13

It's delightful. I was like a happy drunk when I came round.

They will explain everything before. And you can ask stuff and be reassured.

I remember posting on here 8years ago before my 1st one and everyone reassured me and they were right.

CycleHire Wed 18-Oct-17 20:31:39

I didn’t find it was like sleep. It was like nothing, like no time at all had passed. Odd.

I felt sick after my first GA (wasn’t sick, just felt it). There are medications they can give which help so if you’re worried about that then tell them (a later anaesthetist told me that travel sickness and not smoking are both risk factors - both apply to me).

But overall it was absolutely fine.

Good luck. Hope it goes well.

Maelstrop Wed 18-Oct-17 20:32:22

It's lovely, honestly. I had several within a week and really resented being woken out of a fabulous sleep and force fed straight after! If you don't want to eat, don't.

eyeswideshit Wed 18-Oct-17 20:33:49

Love the pre injection stuff you get. I've never felt so free and floaty and so damn wonderful!

I asked them not to kill me and then one of the guys held my hand while the other one put me under.

I don't remember any counting

PinkTiger Wed 18-Oct-17 20:35:14

Having the anaesthetic is no problem. They ask you to count out loud and you won't remember much beyond that. You confidently start thinking nothing is happening 1, 2, 3 and then you wake up later.

It is worth noting though that how it affects people when they come round can vary enormously. You may find that you feel very tearful. Some people will feel a bit sick. Others are still "happy".

If you do feel upset or sick, hang on to the fact it is just disorientation caused by the GA and will pass.

Caulk Wed 18-Oct-17 20:36:59

I had 4hours of surgery 3 weeks ago. The anaesthetic talked me though everything, as well as the surgeon and another member of his team. It was my first surgery, and I was only nervous when wheeled down. I had a catheter because of the length of surgery. When I came round in recovery, I had morphine that I could press a button to get and a nurse sat with me and talked to me.

It was fine, painful afterwards but the staff did all they could to manage that. I was kept in for 4 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now