Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How often does your (secondary school) pupil change their school clothes?

(34 Posts)
Uberfluffs Wed 18-Oct-17 19:59:14

Just out of interest really - I've always given mine new clothes every day but recently heard of someone who's kids had one set to last them the whole week. Me and DH both work FT + extra time, so I'd be keen to find a way of doing less washing!

So - what does everyone else do?

KindergartenKop Wed 18-Oct-17 20:03:05

I used to have one skirt, two jumpers and three shirts. I used to wear the shirts two days running and they did whiff a bit.

traviata Wed 18-Oct-17 20:03:45

shirt, socks, pants, tights - daily

trousers/skirt - once a week or more often if muddy.

jumper - barely worn, so about every half term on average.

whiteblankpage Wed 18-Oct-17 20:05:47

My DD12 has a fresh shirt every day - puberty combined with a compulsory blazer over the top as well as a brisk 1.5 mile walk each way means it would not smell very nice by midday on the second wear.
Trousers are 2 or 3 days wear depending on periods and general freshness.
I wash her blazer once a week.

4yoniD Wed 18-Oct-17 20:07:42

Trousers/dress and jumper 2 days, unless noticeable mess. Other items daily.

Mominatrix Wed 18-Oct-17 20:08:09

Everything changed everyday except blazer, which is rarely worn.

GoldSpot Wed 18-Oct-17 20:08:20

We are the same as Traviata.

Uberfluffs Wed 18-Oct-17 20:12:33

OK, I might have a discussion with mine re: trousers and jumpers, as looking at these it doesn't seem so necessary to wash them all the time.

That should help, thanks!

NoCryLilSoftSoft Wed 18-Oct-17 20:13:51

Clean shirt, trousers, pants and socks every day. He washes them himself on a Friday evening along with his blazer. He doesn't wear a jumper. He showers every morning. He is 12.

IwantLEGO Wed 18-Oct-17 20:21:56

Clean shirt every day. Then 2 skirts and 2 jumpers for the week. It's only very occasionally that I have to wash these mid week.

bimbobaggins Wed 18-Oct-17 20:26:28

Clean shirt, pants and socks every day. 2-3 jumpers and trousers a week.

WhatHaveIFound Wed 18-Oct-17 20:27:57

DD generally wears the same skirt/tie all week but occcasionally i wash them overnight (i'm too tight to buy another with only 2½ terms to go and her spare is too short). Her shirt, socks, underwear & tights are changed daily.

Jumper hasn't been worn since Y7!

PE kit gets washed after each use.

Caulk Wed 18-Oct-17 20:39:12

One skirt, three shirts and two jumpers. Usually one jumper makes it through the whole week. Blazer is washed very rarely. She usually gets changed when she gets home.

ArgyMargy Wed 18-Oct-17 20:39:46

Oh do we really have to do this? Isn't it just another tedious variation of the "how often do we shower" nonsense? Guess what, it varies! Hold the front page - people are different!!!!

NoCryLilSoftSoft Wed 18-Oct-17 20:45:12

No, you don't have to argy. Thread participation is optional. Scroll on past if it doesn't interest you.

Minstrelsareyum Wed 18-Oct-17 20:49:08

DD 1 skirt (£32 so not buying more than that!), 2 blouses, 1 jumper, 1 blazer
DS 2 trousers, 2 shirts (but he wears just one all week despite me telling him to change it!), 1 tie, 1 jumper, 1 blazer
In infant and junior - for both, 2 of everything (always amazed at the parents who bought 5 of everything!)

Taffeta Wed 18-Oct-17 20:50:33

DS Y9 - trousers worn 2-3 times, rest changed daily
DD - Y7 nowhere near puberty - jumper and kilt worn all week, rest changed daily

Lelloteddy Wed 18-Oct-17 20:52:09

Clean shirt each every day, skirts last a week and blazers are washed when needed. They change the minute they get home though.

None of mine are at school any more, but when they were, they had a clean shirt, undies and socks each day, and trousers and jumper/fleece were changed weekly, or more often when necessary.

Incidentslly, when ds3 started senior school, I did a quick bit of maths and worked out that, with three of them needing clean shirts each day, plus dh in an office job, also needing a clean shirt daily, this meant ironing 20 shirts a week - and I immediately decided that the boys could iron their own (dh did iron his sometimes). I said that each of them had to iron 5 shirts at the weekend, but they decided between themselves that they'd take it in turns, on a three week rota, and iron 15 shirts.

RainbowPastel Wed 18-Oct-17 21:15:16

Clean everything every day. Apart from blazer which I wash about every 3 weeks or so.

MrGrumpy01 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:16:36

Yr7 - Clean shirt every day. Trousers every other day. Jumper compulsory, maybe 2 a week. I have washed her blazer once so far. Should I be washing that more often? - It is worn over a jumper.

PE kit I wash weekly, but the one week she has it twice but on concurrent days. None of her uniform can go in the tumble dryer which is fine for now, but in a couple of weeks not so good.

MiddleAgedMinger Wed 18-Oct-17 21:23:04

For my middle 2 - all clean daily apart from blazer and tie which are washed at the weekend. DD had to wear a heavy kilt (we're in Essex confused) so got 2 days wear out of it, clean shirt daily and tie and blazer at weekend as well.

Just occurred to me that when my twins finish secondary next July, I will only have one set of uniform to deal with (DC4's). Can't wait!

youarenotkiddingme Wed 18-Oct-17 21:25:08

Ds 13.

Daily clean shirt and underwear!
3 pairs of trousers - wears at least 2 pairs a week.

Pe - 2 t shirts as one week as lessons 2 days in a row and 1 pair of shorts.

Blazer washed weekly.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Wed 18-Oct-17 21:25:35

Shirts every day.
Trousers every week, unless they are visibly dirty.
Jumper as and when, but they haven't started wearing them yet this year.
Blazer as rarely as possible! Tie even less often.

BarchesterFlowers Wed 18-Oct-17 21:25:53

One blazer, two sweaters, six shirts and three skirts here. So clean shirt daily, skirt every two and sweater every two as it isn't worn every day.

I haven't washed the blazer and tie yet either Mr Grumpy. Thought that could be a half termly job unless it was dirty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now