Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

ASD and stuttering?

(9 Posts)
ColinCreevey Wed 18-Oct-17 17:49:13

My son is five and recently diagnosed with ASD. Among other things he has speech delay struggles a lot with pronunciation and understanding. I've noticed although his vocabulary improves he stammers and stutters a lot to get sentences out. For example this evening he wanted some grapes and it was such a struggle for him to ask. He stutters over individual words and will go back to the beginning of his sentence over and over again as well. He gets very annoyed and won't talk to you if you try to help him so we just wait now while he works at getting it out.
If you have any experience of ASD is this quite common or do you think it's not really to do with the autism at all and a separate issue? Bit overwhelmed at the moment and just want to make sure we're supporting him as best we can.

Lovemusic33 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:53:49

It could be a separate issue. My daughter has a lot of issues with speech but mainly due to delayed processing, she doesn't stutter though, just pauses or doesn't talk at all. Is he seeing a speech therapist?

ColinCreevey Wed 18-Oct-17 17:58:16

He saw the speech and language therapist a couple of weeks ago for an assessment at school and she picked up on a lot of issues with how he pronounces certain sounds but she didn't mention the stammering so maybe he isn't doing it at school? But then I'm not sure what would cause him to do it at home.
He also has sessions at school Lift of to Language I think and again they haven't raised it but I'm having a meeting with the SENCO tomorrow so I think I will ask her then.
I'm always a bit nervous to bring things up in case I'm just being a bit OTT, I just don't want to miss anything.

WeeLors Wed 18-Oct-17 18:04:46

My son (7) is autistic and you could be describing him. I think it's a processing thing, his brain isn't working fast enough for what he wants to say so he stutters over the words or repeats them until his brain catches up iykwim. On a positive note for you, I don't think he does it nearly as much now as he did a few years ago. The more his grasp of language has improved, the less processing issues he seems to have.

WeeLors Wed 18-Oct-17 18:06:22

P. S. My ds's stammering was never something mentioned by any HCPs either.

ColinCreevey Wed 18-Oct-17 20:04:29

That's reassuring thank you smile I just have to keep resisting the urge to help him and say things for him because it really annoys him. I just hate seeing him struggling.

foxyfemke Wed 18-Oct-17 20:11:26

Yes, stuttering has to do with how fluent the brain works in terms of getting the words out, so if he has processing issues, it's very possible the two are linked. Will he see the SALT again? If so, do mention it, they should be able to work with it.

picklemepopcorn Wed 18-Oct-17 20:18:49

My DS needed to walk in a circle to get some sentences out.

Schmoopy Wed 18-Oct-17 20:27:17

My boyfriend has autism and had delayed speech.

When we first met, he stuttered. He finds pronunication difficult and I think he must have found other people 'rushed' him. If he is feeling very anxious he really struggles to get words out and sometimes loses the ability to speak altogether.

I don't ever rush him. When we first met, he'd apologise all the time for it, but all I ever said was "it's fine, take your time" and it doesn't happen as often now. I know it's tempting to finish sentences for him but don't. Part of his annoyance is that whilst he's trying to get out what he wants to say, he's also dealing with the pressure he's feeling at anticipating you speaking for him if he is unable to do it. Which will slow down his processing further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now