Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help me choose a dog

(97 Posts)
Sensimilla Wed 18-Oct-17 16:12:02

Well, a second dog. Sensidog1 is a whippet. I love her and she is perfect. I would have another 1. She is so easy going, doesn't fuss or bark. Happy to go for long walks or just chill at home. Really gentle and trustworthy. Easy to clean/dry when she rolls in poo!!

But Dd2 wants a goddamn Chihuahua!! Because she wants something small and cuddly.

What breeds would you recommend?

Wolfiefan Wed 18-Oct-17 16:14:36

Haha at cuddly chihuahuas. Have you met many? Must feistier than my giant hound!!
Visit discover dogs?

CMOTDibbler Wed 18-Oct-17 16:27:52

Get another whippet or a lurcher. Not nearly as arsey as a chi! My poor lurcher got backed into a corner by my friends chi puppy

Ambonsai Wed 18-Oct-17 16:34:29

I've never met a nice chihuahua

Inadays Wed 18-Oct-17 16:37:19

A Norfolk Terrier smile. Ours is the loveliest dog and has a gorgeous nature. He's very cuddlable, likes long or short walks and is soooo affectionate!

amusedbush Wed 18-Oct-17 16:37:40

I have a tiny JRT because I wanted something "cute and cuddly". He's an arsehole.

PhatSlag Wed 18-Oct-17 16:38:50

My friend has a chihuahua, it’s flipping horrible. It tries to bite everyone!

Floralnomad Wed 18-Oct-17 16:39:13

What about an Italian greyhound or a Chinese crested .

DragonBone Wed 18-Oct-17 16:40:09

Staffy - perfect family dog!

CornflakeHomunculus Wed 18-Oct-17 16:40:56

Without question the best dog to go with a whippet is another whippet grin

Chihuahuas can be super little dogs but their size makes them quite fragile and their popularity (plus the price puppies will go for) means they’re prime puppy farm/BYB fodder so finding a decent breeder can be very difficult.

TheFlandersPigeonMurderer Wed 18-Oct-17 16:42:33

Agree with dragon, though DDog3 may struggle to fit under the umbrella of “cuddly” grin

Booagain Wed 18-Oct-17 16:44:10

Great Dane! Amazing dogs! Need a lot of food but only one walk a day as they have small hearts. Had one when I was 4 and he was the loveliest dog ever. I grew up never to be afraid of big dogs. I appreciate this is the opposite of what your kids want ;)

Maverick66 Wed 18-Oct-17 16:44:36

Miniature schnauzer gorgeous dogs. Friend has one and her children love it.

LoverOfCake Wed 18-Oct-17 16:47:09

Most little dogs are horrible un-cuddly things. And they yap, consistently, all the time

seizethecuttlefish Wed 18-Oct-17 16:55:18

Clumber Spaniel. Lazy but will go walks and so laid back they are horizontal! This is her in full poised to be cuddled mode.

bluebells1 Wed 18-Oct-17 16:55:19

Please please check the breed info and visit a few friends with Chi's before you get one. My friend regrets getting one every single day.

ReeOkAh Wed 18-Oct-17 16:58:02

What about a cavapoo? Soft, small, fluffy and cuddly.

TheQueenOfWands Wed 18-Oct-17 16:58:07

A ChowChow or a Tibetan Mastiff.

They both look like teddies!!

Floralnomad Wed 18-Oct-17 17:02:29

seize , it's no good promising a picture of a clumber spaniel and then not producing it , I absolutely insist on seeing it . The only chows I've met have been horribly antisocial with everyone except their owners and even then that's only when the mood takes them .

DragonBone Wed 18-Oct-17 17:03:15

If you look at breed info for the Staffordshire bull terrier - the kennel club promote the breed as the 'nanny dog' because they are so amazing with children. 🐾

overmybreadbody Wed 18-Oct-17 17:04:32

Miniature Schnauzer grin

Lotsawobblybits Wed 18-Oct-17 17:09:07

I saw your thread title and was just going to recommend a Whippet as they are the best breed ever (totally biased grin) then read you had one.

Our Whippets best friend is an Irish Terrier, she loves chasing our whippet who slows down for her to catch up then speeds off & she loves cuddles and is very entertaining, great with kids too.

Floralnomad Wed 18-Oct-17 17:11:02

If you look at breed info for the Staffordshire bull terrier - the kennel club promote the breed as the 'nanny dog' because they are so amazing with children. 🐾

Shame that so many of them lack any social skills with other dogs .

TheFlandersPigeonMurderer Wed 18-Oct-17 17:15:32

Have you met DDog3 floral <frets>
grin

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 18-Oct-17 17:21:35

I have a Cockerpoo who is v cuddly and affectionate. However..... He has had lots of training and he needs lots of input. Poo crosses are usually clever and get into mischief if not occupied sufficiently although cute looking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now