Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I've got into a right mess with my cleaner...

(17 Posts)
ibuiltahomeforyou Wed 18-Oct-17 15:16:35

My cleaner is good but I’ve realised she is doing an hour less than I pay her for every week hmm

I’ve caught her twice leaving early in recent weeks. We got her when I was pregnant and my DD is now six months.

I need to get rid of her really as we can’t really afford to keep her on, particularly since the house can apparently be cleaned in two hours wink. I feel that money could be better spent on household things.

We never had a formal arrangement, she was just the friend of our old cleaner, she is Polish and very good but I am annoyed she is doing less than we pay her for. DH is leaving the decision to me but I don’t feel I can trust her now and can’t be bothered thinking of extra jobs. In my professional life I do manage people but I feel really awkward letting her go or calling her out on the fact I know she is leaving early.

Do I give her a months’ notice? We never had a contract, I was so pregnant and knackered that when she messaged me I just took her straight on. It’s stressing me out (I realise I need to get a grip).

RuskBaby Wed 18-Oct-17 15:18:18

I have let 2 cleaners go. One who was short timing us I just said we don't need you anymore. The nicer but dippy one I did give 2 weeks notice.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Wed 18-Oct-17 15:21:50

Fine to give her notice, but if you still kind of want a cleaner you tell her you have noticed how quick she is, and would she like you to pay her for one hour less or give her more work to do?

RefuseTheLies Wed 18-Oct-17 15:27:24

Is she cleaning to a high standard?

I've kept a cleaner on in the past who left my house immaculate. I paid for three hours per week, but often she had finished in two hours.

I figured that as she was very good and my house was lovely and clean, she shouldn't be penalised for being efficient and thorough whilst also being fast.

I'd had cleaners previously who couldn't have done and didn't do half of what my super quick cleaner did in half the time.

listsandbudgets Wed 18-Oct-17 15:29:50

I always pay my cleaner for the job not for the hours. As far as I am concerned, if she does the job I ask her to do and does it well then I don't think its fair to penalise her for being quick. My current cleaner works on exactly this basis and we're both happy - sometimes I leave her extra to do e.g change a bed, clean out fridge or hang out washing and she always does quite happily.

My previous cleaner on the other hand cut her hours AND did a rubbish job - I did get rid of her

CallingPeopleACuntOnFb Wed 18-Oct-17 15:34:51

I have a cleaning business

Often when I do a new persons house i get quicker as I get used to the house. When that happens I ask the client if there anything else that needs doing to fill the time. 9 times out of ten they just pay me for the full amount tbh. They’re just happy with the end result

But she’s being a little bit dishonest imo

QuimReaper Wed 18-Oct-17 15:49:49

I agree with lists. I couldn't give a toss whether my cleaner finishes up and scoots out early, as long as she's done everything, especially since when I moved in with DH she found she had much less to do and voluntarily went from 4hrs down to 3. The cleaner DH had before this one and the temporary cleaner we had whilst ours was recovering from an operation were both hopeless, so I'm just pleased to have someone who gets the job done.

I should caveat that by saying that I know she mostly does stay for the full 3hrs, so it is an appropriate amount of time: if she'd seen the job list and quoted 3hrs labour for it and then always left after 2, I'd be a bit hmm

QuimReaper Wed 18-Oct-17 15:51:32

If you want a no-conflict cover story though, just say you've hired an au pair who will be starting on x date and will be taking over cleaning responsibilities.

HouseworkIsAPain Wed 18-Oct-17 15:53:22

My cleaner spends less time here than I pay her for, but that’s ok by me as she’s very efficient and does a good clean. I’ve had other cleaners who took longer but didn’t clean as well.

If you want to stop her cleaning, I’d tell her on the day you want her to stop and provide a few weeks money in lieu of notice. I’d also take keys back at that point.

I don’t think it’s fair to just let her go without giving some form of notice or payment in lieu of notice, regardless of whether you have a contract or not.

EskiVodkaCranberry Wed 18-Oct-17 15:53:30

I had a cleaner who did this and I wasn’t sure what to do until when I asked her about it she lied and said she had been there the whole time.
So i reckon speak to her and see how that goes, reasonable explanation like pp said then I’d keep her but anything else I’d say no thanks.

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 18-Oct-17 16:15:24

I paid a cleaner 4 hours weekly. She did an ok job in the beginning. In the end, she used to skive around upstairs for most of the time (I was home) and do a rush job downstairs for the last hour. The day I sacked her was the day she came downstairs and I was sat in the kitchen with my niece, dd and me and the woman played her music on her phone full blast singing round us as though it was totally normal. We were unable to talk. As it was through an agency, I sacked the agency. I’d had enough of complaining and them ignoring me.

I don’t know if you need to sack her. Could you discuss it with her first?

Autumnskiesarelovely Wed 18-Oct-17 16:20:42

Pay for the job not the hours.

GoldfinchesInTheGarden Wed 18-Oct-17 16:31:14

Pay if it's worth it to you to have the house cleaned to that standard, and don't fret about the hours.

A friend of mine was talking to a locksmith who said when he first started it would take him ages to unpick someone's lock, and when he eventually succeed the customers were really grateful and happily paid for the work. After a few years he became highly skilled and could unpick the same lock in just minutes, but he found customers grumbled when he charged the same rate.

TheDowagerCuntess Wed 18-Oct-17 20:41:14

Our cleaner takes a shorter time than we technically pay her for, but she's still doing all the same tasks, she's just quicker at them.

I have no problem with it.

You could just say that now your baby is a bit older, you're able to take the task back on yourself, and as you're home anyway, it makes sense. Give her a couple of weeks notice, and it's all good.

sharperpencil Wed 18-Oct-17 20:59:48

If she does a good job I'd be tempted to give her another chance.
Could you say you've noticed she's finishing earlier and if she gets the opportunity could she wipe the fridge/do the ironing/whatever?

I pay my cleaner for 4 hours, if she finished early she makes up the time another day.

donajimena Thu 19-Oct-17 00:36:51

My cleaner was like a whippet. But incredible. I paid her for two hours but I know she used to do it in 90 mins sometimes. I'm sad that I can no longer afford her.

underneaththeash Thu 19-Oct-17 07:38:32

I think just letting her know that you can no longer afford the cleaning as you're on maternity leave, but you'd like to leave the door open for her to come back if the situation changes, would be a nice way to put it.

If she has keys, I wouldn't give notice as you'd have the problem of getting the keys back if she decided not to come back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now