Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is it unusual that I never throw up?

(56 Posts)
evilharpy Wed 18-Oct-17 12:50:18

A post in AIBU about a vomiting husband and people who "usually vomit in the sink" got me to thinking. I can't remember the last time I was sick. It would have been as the result of a migraine, probably 6 or 7 years ago. The time before that I really don't remember. I'm never ever sick from alcohol although I do feel like death the next morning if I've overdone it. If I have a tummy bug it all goes down rather than up (sorry for TMI).

My husband is also never sick. I've been with him 13 years and he's been sick once in that time, the morning after a staff do.

It seems we're a bit unusual going from posts I've read and things friends have told me (one younger workmate recently told me she's sick every time she drinks - which must be at least once a week as she's out every weekend). And I wondered if regular vomming is really as common as it seems to be.

Also the things that occupy your mind when you're meant to be working really are quite odd sometimes.

00100001 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:53:27

I'm rarely ill. Not even snuffle noses.
I might get a bit poorly once a year. Maximum.

Last time I was actually sick was probably 6 years ago. And that was food poisoning.

CakeNinja Wed 18-Oct-17 12:53:52

I was last sick about 8 years ago from drinking to much.
Dp about 5 years ago.
Dc rarely throw up, though the middle one had gastric issues for about a year and life was one long sick epidemic so it balances out! Every time she was ill for the next 5 years, it went straight to her stomach and she was sick, but for the last 3/4 years it's gone away.

CakeNinja Wed 18-Oct-17 12:54:47

Drinking *too much.
That's really annoyed me, serves me right for typing as I walk!

MrsJayy Wed 18-Oct-17 12:57:37

I am hardly sick Ithink the last time I vomitted was when Dds had a stomach bug in primary the youngest is nearly 20, I think i have a steel stomach however I tend to get the runs my bowel is uber sensitive

MrsJayy Wed 18-Oct-17 12:59:24

I have vomitted once from alcohol on my 21st birthday we were downing bottles of beer. My eldest is vommity especially if she has been drinking

Glitteryfrog Wed 18-Oct-17 13:03:01

I'm a sicky person. I'm sick from being ill on average twice a year. I can be sick just once and carry on with my day.
Hangovers do result in sick sometimes.
However - I've never had toncilitus, an ear or chest infection etc.

uncoolnn Wed 18-Oct-17 13:05:22

I’m currently ill and have been sick numerous times in the last 24 hours, however, before that I couldn’t even tell you when the last time I was sick was. Must be 5+ years ago.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 18-Oct-17 13:26:15

I don't think I've been sick since pregnancy 5 & 7 years ago (and that was more nausea than actually being sick), and before that was food poisoning in India.

I can only remember DH being sick on a couple of occasions.

I can't recall either DC being sick since weaning on to solids, and I'm sure I'd remember the smell wink

We're not a very sicky family!

PinkHeart5914 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:28:14

Apart from morning sickness i have never been one to be sick. I’ve been ill obviously but I never throw up

problembottom Wed 18-Oct-17 13:34:17

I was last sick in Marbella a year ago after a very wild night. Bleurgh.

Juanbablo Wed 18-Oct-17 13:38:19

I'm rarely sick. Last year the other 4 members of our household had a vomiting bug but I just had a stomach ache. It was very painful but no vomit. Dh and dd are the true pukers in the house, if anyone is going to get sick it's them. And even then that's once or twice a year.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 18-Oct-17 13:40:21

This is me and DD, we're sick maybe once every three years or something, its a good thing as I'm emetophobic.

Shouldnotwouldnot Wed 18-Oct-17 13:40:43

I haven't been sick in over 17 years. And I'm partial to a drink and have been pregnant (not at the same time)

I'm just never sick

NC4now Wed 18-Oct-17 13:41:28

I'm never sick and neither are my children.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 18-Oct-17 13:41:45

We do get Ill btw, just never throw up.

Wiifitmama Wed 18-Oct-17 13:43:52

This is really interesting to read. I am rarely sick but thought it was because I was emetophobic. In fact, I think the reverse is true! I am so rarely sick, I am scared of it! I have 3 children (two are teens now) and they too are rarely sick. 16 year old was sick two years ago for one night. Last time before that was when he was 3 years old. He literally did not recognise the feeling of being sick so had no idea what was coming. Middle son has probably been sick the most of all three, but that is maybe once every few years? I wonder why??

Yazoop Wed 18-Oct-17 13:44:19

I can only remember vomiting about 5 or 6 times in my entire life, and the last time was over a decade ago. I don't think it's anything to be worried about, just a little unusual. It can be annoying when you feel nauseous, though, as vomiting can make you feel better.

Wiifitmama Wed 18-Oct-17 13:44:32

By sick, I mean throw up. We do get colds and things but rarely badly.

NearLifeExperience Wed 18-Oct-17 13:44:54

The last time I remember being sick was when I was 21.

I'm 48 now!

There were times when we were young and childless that DH and I would drink like buggery and he would throw up but not me. Next day I'd be feeling like death but he'd not be too bad having got rid of so much alcohol.

I think it would be easy to poison me, like a rat.

BulletFox Wed 18-Oct-17 13:45:13

That's good, Shirley?

ButtMuncher Wed 18-Oct-17 13:46:37

I'm emetaphobic and had years of treatment for it (without much results as I'm still phobic) - I swear in the past there have been times I should have been sick but haven't due to this fear hmm

I hate this time of year though as it seems everyone and their dog says they have stomach bugs. My SIL's ex is the worst, he literally picks up EVERY ONE and spends a lot of his winter ill. Ugh.

daydreamnation Wed 18-Oct-17 13:48:50

I've not been sick since I was a very young child. I had morning 'sickness' twice, felt horribly nauseous but never threw up and if I get a tummy bug (which I rarely do) I feel very sick and get diarrhoea but never ever vomit.
I'm 45 and people generally don't believe me when I tell them!

daydreamnation Wed 18-Oct-17 13:49:38

Meaning they don't believe I'm never sick, not that I'm 45 (I wish!!) grin

OohMavis Wed 18-Oct-17 13:50:17

I'm never sick either. Once in the last ten years probably.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now