Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Let us talk about bacon.

(48 Posts)
FloControl Wed 18-Oct-17 11:41:22

I don't know if this has ever been discussed on MN but I'm going to the butcher's soon so it seems an ideal moment.

I'll be buying dry-cured back bacon for some sarnies later on. Unsmoked but I occasionally buy smoked to add to Bolognese sauces or egg mayonnaise. I sometimes buy smoked streaky bacon for sarnies but it demands proper cooking for best flavour.

I always buy my bacon from the butcher's, never the supermarket.

What are your bacon preferences ?
Smoked, unsmoked, back, middle, dry cured, crisp or lightly cooked and so on. Are you very particular ? Do you have a favourite farm shop or butcher or are you happy with supermarket bacon ? Do tell smile.

McTufty Wed 18-Oct-17 11:42:58

Smoked and burned to a crisp smile

LBOCS2 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:43:03

Bizarrely, Iceland does the best supermarket bacon IMO. Really thick cut smoked back bacon.

We don’t have any at the moment though sad

whifflesqueak Wed 18-Oct-17 11:43:29

My dad makes his own bacon. Sometimes smokes it, too.

I think that’s pretty impressive.

I buy from the essential range at Waitrose.

PinkHeart5914 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:43:32

Always from the village butchers here

Always smoked

I like mine cooked until crispy

Veronicat Wed 18-Oct-17 11:46:30

I love unsmoked from local farm shop and I cook it for exactly one minute in the microwave so it's soggy. Then slap between two slices of thick farmhouse bread, lots of butter and a dollop of ketchup. grin

EdmundCleverClogs Wed 18-Oct-17 11:50:29

I only use smoked bacon and I put it in pasta. Sometimes wrapped around chicken. Never bacon sandwiches, the most overrated creation in food! I much rather gammon or pork over bacon and sausages...

OstentatiousWanking Wed 18-Oct-17 11:54:53

I love lidls smoked streaky bacon. I use it in spag bol, wrapped round chicken breasts, and it's amazing crispy in a sarnie with a smidgen of brown sauce.

PointlessUsername Wed 18-Oct-17 11:57:53

Streaky Bacon and has to be Crispy.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 18-Oct-17 12:08:03

Unsmoked back, cooked until the fat turns crispy. Buy mostly from our farm shop, but had some decent bacon from the co op the other day. I cannot stand cheap bacon that oozes that white substance. Would rather have good bacon less often. A perfectly cooked BLT, on a lightly toasted baguette, with plenty of mayo, would probably be my pre execution meal of choice.

Don't really cook with bacon except lardons/pancetta, which we are having in cauliflower/macaroni cheese tonight.

Hiphopopotamus Wed 18-Oct-17 12:12:10

Soggy microwaved bacon veronicat??

Holy forking shirt, this is the Bad Place!!

BarbaraOcumbungles Wed 18-Oct-17 12:13:09

Lidl smoked streaky bacon seripusly crispy!

RedBlu Wed 18-Oct-17 12:19:50

Streaky bacon - DP likes it chewy and I like mine basically incinerated

BubblesBubblesBubbles Wed 18-Oct-17 12:23:10

Ooh I love bacon.

I normally buy it from a butchers, always smoked and has to be crispy - can't abide the fat not crispy.

If I can't get it from the butcher it's unsmoked from Waitrose, I don't like their smoked stuff.

I may pop along to Lidl and get some of theirs to try.

Ha I want a bacon sandwich now grin

misscph1973 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:27:16

Streaky unsmoked, but it's really hard to find decent bacon! Most brands that are free range and without water are also lean, which defeats the object. Lean streaky bacon? I refuse to buy Dutch or Danish bacon, as the animal welfare is not good enough. When I buy bacon from the butcher, it always has added water. So currently I use Waitrose's free range dry cure bacon, but it is a bit on the lean side.

darkfruits Wed 18-Oct-17 12:31:09

smoked medallions or smoked streaky definitely!

BitOfANameChange Wed 18-Oct-17 12:32:03

I prefer smoked, and luckily so does DS.

I've had some decent stuff from Lidl recently, and generally it's used in cooking. If I do a sarnies it's fried until crisp.

maddiemookins16mum Wed 18-Oct-17 12:34:03

I always buy smoked back. Plus I buy cheap smoked bacon off cuts (dead cheap) for my famous carrot, lentil and bacon soup.
Hmmm, really fancy a bacon and egg butty now.

AnnaThursday Wed 18-Oct-17 12:34:42

Lidl smoked streaky bacon seripusly crispy !

Admit it, you’re drooling aren’t you, Barbara? grin

FloControl Wed 18-Oct-17 12:37:55

I like to trim the rind/fat (whichever it is) from the edges and render it down in a separate frying pan. I do the same with gammon steaks. Perfect for doing mushrooms or fried eggs.

I've heard of green bacon before but I don't think I've used it. It sounds disgusting.

TheViceOfReason Wed 18-Oct-17 12:42:00

Smoked, streaky, so crisp it shatters.

darkfruits Wed 18-Oct-17 12:45:04

if you cut little slits along the fat on a piece of bacon then it makes it go really crispy!

picklemepopcorn Wed 18-Oct-17 12:46:17

Let's not talk about it, let's eat it!

I'm a smoked fan. I don't mind back or streaky, it's important it's dry cured though. I like a nice ethical bacon if possible.

I put it in a fry pan on a low heat and leave it for ages till it slowly crisps up, then turn it over to finish.

If I'm cooking for lots of people, I roll it up into little cylinders and bake it in the oven along with sausages, tomatoes, hash browns. It's easier for large numbers.

koalab Wed 18-Oct-17 12:46:42

U smoked thick cut back bacon. Three slices with fat trimmed off in fresh white bread with tomato sauce. I'm salivating now.

koalab Wed 18-Oct-17 12:47:13

Should say unsmoked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now