Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I want someone to drink coffee, wine and eat cake with

(67 Posts)
cjt110 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:04:56

Just what it says really.

I don't really have anyone to do that. Don't really have any friends I suppose. The ones I do are from work so more acquaintances and the other few are busy with kids and their lives.

No idea how I could "obtain" such a friend.
Just having a moan really.

cjt110 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:45:25

See, no-one to even do this virtually with

cakebrewwine sad

HeppyKestrel Wed 18-Oct-17 10:49:11

shall i put the kettle on ? brew

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 18-Oct-17 10:50:56

I don’t drink wine or coffee, but very happy to eat cake

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Wed 18-Oct-17 10:51:31

Did someone say cake?!
I have to admit i don't have anyone to do that with either. My problem i think is that i don't like to "bother" people as i know everyone has their own shit going on.

Emabrmsca Wed 18-Oct-17 10:52:10

I feel the same! I only have my mum really. I don't have any friends outside my family. It makes me sad sometimes that I can't have girly chats and wine nights.

wurlycurls Wed 18-Oct-17 10:52:16

I'm waiting to go into the dentist. I could do with a friend right now.

bruffin Wed 18-Oct-17 10:52:51

I met my drink coffee with friends through a swimming class. It was a morning class and we go to lunch after. Been 15 years now

AlternativeTentacle Wed 18-Oct-17 10:53:04

Can you go to you MN local area and ask if anyone wants a coffee?

cjt110 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:54:02

HeppyKestrel Yes please! brew

What Plenty to go round cake

Nothing Me too I think. I know the one person I would bother has a lot of shit going on right now

Emabrmsca You sound like me.

wurly brewcakegin

cjt110 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:54:53

burrfin I work fulltime and have a toddler. I did used to do a swimming class but it was late by the time it finished so nothing really came of it.

AlternativeTentacle There's a local area???

eve34 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:57:34

If you are my way I will meet for cake. Hampshire???

FGSholdthedoor Wed 18-Oct-17 10:57:52

Same here op .
I'm also quite anxious and a bit clueless socially.

Can't go on MNs local because I feel like I "keep up appearances" quite well and I kind of know other mums locally but they've known each other longer as I'm not from the area and most of them are so I don't want any gossip going on about me being lonely etc .... blush

Emabrmsca Wed 18-Oct-17 10:58:44

It can be quite depressing sometimes can't it? Where abouts are you? I'm Leicestershire if you're anywhere near x

cjt110 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:59:03

eve34 I'm in West Yorkshire but thank you for the invite cake

FGSholdthedoor would they even know it's you?

cjt110 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:59:40

Emabrmsca I'm in West Yorkshire but thank you for the invite cake

Caulk Wed 18-Oct-17 11:00:05

The friends I have like that I met through church, old jobs (stayed friends when I left), running club and knitting group. Can you do more social stuff to meet people.

Warning: you have to go through the hard bit where you say “shall we have a coffee” rather than just meeting them at that group iyswim

cjt110 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:02:51

Caulk I don't find I have too much time for clubs. Although I did bump into DS' friend and Mum at the park a few weeks back and that has started to kindle into something. We've been round for pizza and had a playdate since.

I hate being on my own (I'm not truly as I have my husband, son and parents) but when I'm with people I zone out confused

Snailo Wed 18-Oct-17 11:03:24

Same OP. None of my friends live locally as we have moved pretty far away from all of them sad it's hard. I don't mind my own company but I do feel envious when I see pals meeting up for coffee/chat etc - for me it's a major undertaking to meet up with friends and probably only happens a couple of times a year. I work from home too so I don't have many work colleagues either! cake brew for you

elQuintoConyo Wed 18-Oct-17 11:03:42

I have DH. His family are arseholes. My family live in different countries. My best friend is about to emigrate with her husband for 3 years shock and i only know a couple of parents to say hi to in the playground.

I'll join the Isolation Cafe and help devour tea and cake grin

Argeles Wed 18-Oct-17 11:03:55

I really struggle with this too. It doesn’t help me that I live in an area of London with a large, transient population from another country. I have made friends with 3 women from this community within the last year, but now 2 of them have recently returned to their home countries, and the remaining one will return early next year. They can’t help having to go back, but it’s really upsetting when they do, and I feel isolated and lonely again. I’m dreading it when my last friend returns, as we are far closer than I was with the other 2, and I will really miss her.

I made 2 of my above friends in the children’s playground at my local park, and the 3rd was a neighbour.

Do you have children? If so, have you tried making friends with their friends’ parents? In parks, playgrounds, via school or nursery?

Could you take up a group activity or hobby - reading club, gym class, embroidery/sewing/knitting class, photography meet ups etc. You may make friends through these type of things.

I feel awful sometimes when all I want to do is share a cup of coffee, a cake and a good chat with someone for an hour or 2, and there isn’t anyone. Good luck.

JesusTapdancingChrist Wed 18-Oct-17 11:05:25

I'm in W. Yorks OP and am also pretty friendless at the moment and have no idea how to go about rectifying that.

PM me if you like, always happy to go for cake/coffee/wine 😊.

Caulk Wed 18-Oct-17 11:06:33

Just to be clear, I definitely don’t have time for clubs either, I don’t think many people do, but I’m aware that need that contact with people as I don’t enjoy being alone. So I do stuff that fits around other things.

How old is your son? Can you do stuff together that would mean you could meet others?

cjt110 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:06:43

I must say that DS' friends Mum is lovely and we are starting out a friendship but it's mainly with kids at the mo. Not sure at what stage could it become a glass of wine out without kids

cjt110 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:08:06

Caulk He's 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now