Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Bloody conjunctivitis!!!! Aaarrgghhh why do I feel so rotten

(9 Posts)
Askyfullofstars Wed 18-Oct-17 07:01:03

I have bacterial conjunctivitis.
I've been prescribed an eye ointment (chemist didn't have the drops).
I had to call in sick yesterday as my one eye was swollen and they were both extremely sore and my job means I'm pretty much chained to a computer all day.
This morning my head hurts so bad as I spent all day yesterday with blurred vision from the bloody ointment (I've to use it every two hours, I put it in...spend an hour and a half blurry and sore and just as it's getting better it's time for the next dose...not to mention it's a massive pain in the arse to apply).
My eyes are no longer swollen but they are sore and this bloody headache....argh. I'm expected back into work today (basically because my manager had conjunctivitis once and it cleared up within hours of starting treatment she made me feel awful for taking the day yesterday).
Tell me this will be ok? How long before I stop feeling like turd??

LookAtAllTheBullshit Wed 18-Oct-17 07:05:52

If your manager had conjunctivitis that cleared up in a couple of hours of treatment then it wasn't conjunctivitis.
Are you UK because you can get chloramphenicol eye drops without prescription, you do have to speak the pharmacist but if you are passing a different chemist or boots, take your ointment in and say you are not getting along with it do they sell the drops.
Conjunctivitis is quite contagious though.

2ndSopranos Wed 18-Oct-17 07:10:59

I had dreadful conjunctivitis a few years ago. If someone would have offered to remove my eyes I'd have said yes please. The pain was unreal (and I've given birth with no pain relief!) and I was photophobic. At one point they thought it was orbital cellulitis which would have required IV antibiotics.

I had this over a bank holiday weekend otherwise I'd have had to take time off work.

No real advice but just flowers.

Askyfullofstars Wed 18-Oct-17 07:12:15

I just find the drops take an age to get into my eyes where they're supposed to go then they make my already sticky eyes feel stickier and my vision blurred for ages. I've had the drops before and I remember they made my eyes sore and a bit blurry but nowhere near this level of discomfort.

2ndSopranos Wed 18-Oct-17 07:15:37

In between doses, have you tried bathing in cooled boiled water? This works for mild conjunctivitis (I'm quite prone to it!) but did bring some relief when I had the bad bout.

FaithEverPresent Wed 18-Oct-17 07:22:12

If you’re still sick, you’re still sick. Your manager sounds pretty unsympathetic. Ring in and say ‘I think I have a really bad case of it’. I prefer the ointment to the drops (I find the drops leave a horrible taste in my mouth!). They do take time to work though. You need to rest. IME conjunctivitis often comes when you’re run down.

HermionesRightHook Wed 18-Oct-17 08:17:03

You poor thing. Take a photo of it to show your manager - can you even get to work if your eyes are blurry? It's not going to be safe even if you're on the train if you can't see properly, and what could you do when you were at work? You certainly can't drive like that.

Would your doctor give you a sick note earlier than 7 days if you explained?

Askyfullofstars Wed 18-Oct-17 08:18:53

I'm going to call in sick.
Tbh as I've to bathe my eyes and apply my ointment every two hours (and for the first half hour after application I can't bloody see) how productive will I actually be?
Not to mention taking a highly contagious illness into an office full of people just seems irresponsible.

TronaldDump Wed 18-Oct-17 08:33:37

I had full blown conjuncitivits for the first time this year. Never realised how awful it was! I was convinced it was flu, nothing has made me feel that bad for a long time! Definitely don't feel bad about calling in sick today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now