Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Child complaining of pain in legs behind knee. Worried

(41 Posts)
Bigkingdom Wed 18-Oct-17 06:34:37

My daughter is 4 next month. Over the last couple of weeks she has complained that her legs hurt behind the knee. So of course i googled and now i am worried sick!

I took her to the doctor yesterday and we have to take her for blood tests this morning. I am in bits, feel sick with worry and have barely slept.

Anyone elses child had pain behind the knee? 😩

CoteDAzur Wed 18-Oct-17 06:40:10

Blood tests for pain behind both knees? confused

What are you worried about?

Isn’t it more likely that she bent over extended legs for example and strained the muscles a little? (I did this at yoga at had pain behind me knees for a while)

Darthvadersmuuuum Wed 18-Oct-17 06:43:13

Growing pains

LoniceraJaponica Wed 18-Oct-17 06:44:03

That wasn't very helpful Cote hmm

I hope you get some answers soon Bigkingdom

FAkenameforthis Wed 18-Oct-17 06:45:44

Surely it’s just growing pains? Unless there is a lot more information you haven’t given...

Pythonesque Wed 18-Oct-17 06:45:45

CoteDAzur it's an unusual thing for a child that age to complain about. Bigkingdom remember that MrGoogle is often misleading for this sort of stuff. The tests will be to rule out anything worrying rather than necessarily BECAUSE they think there will be a problem.

Fingers crossed things go smoothly today and that you can be reassured soon.

A1Sharon Wed 18-Oct-17 06:46:28

Agree, growing pains. They are common behind the knee too.
Two of my children suffered with these, the eldest particularly. Nurofen before bed after a very active day helps.

CoteDAzur Wed 18-Oct-17 06:47:58

It was actually helpful - saying I had the same pain after a bit of stretching and that a child could easily have done the same.

What help did you provide except telling off another MNer for no good reason? Here, have a rolly-eyed wee face yourself hmm

PressPaws Wed 18-Oct-17 06:50:49

I understand what you're worried about. It really is most likely just growing pains though. I hope the blood test results are all clear.

Bigkingdom Wed 18-Oct-17 06:54:05

Yes the doctor ordered blood tests because he said pain at this age is unusual.

Having the same pain on and off for weeks isn't the result of stretching or pulling a muscle.

Bigkingdom Wed 18-Oct-17 06:54:57

Also the pain happens in the morning and during the day and growing pains typically happen at night apparently.

BertieBotts Wed 18-Oct-17 06:55:36

It is likely to be growing pain, DS started getting them around that age. But it's good the doctor wants to rule other issues out.

BertieBotts Wed 18-Oct-17 06:56:25

Oh ok, x posted - well, hope it's nothing serious smile

Wellandtrulyoutnumbered Wed 18-Oct-17 06:56:41

Most likely growing pains. Daughter complains day and night when affected. Try a magnesium spray and Epsom salt baths (a decent brand like west lab)

ShoeJunkie Wed 18-Oct-17 06:59:18

DS1 has had intermittent knee pain for a couple of years. We saw a children's physio who found he was mildly hypermobile and growing fast which was causing the pain. She gave us some stretches to do and advice on his footwear. This seems to have helped enormously.

sashh Wed 18-Oct-17 07:02:14

Blood tests for pain behind both knees?

For rheumatic factor or to check for inflammation. Not unreasonable.

CoteDAzur Wed 18-Oct-17 07:06:27

OP - I would worry if DC had constant pain in one part of her body. Symmetrical pain in joints is likely to be the result of something she is doing or growth pains, as people said.

Is there any swelling or bruising behind her knees where she hurts?

It can be something as simple as her sitting on a hard chair/surface and dangling her feet, rubbing the back of her knees to the edge.

C8H10N4O2 Wed 18-Oct-17 07:13:00

Try a magnesium spray and Epsom salt baths (a decent brand like west lab)

Warm baths can help various achy pains with or without Epsom salts but what difference does the packaging around the magnesium sulphate make?

OP, it probably is something movement/growth related but the blood tests will help you rule out much else.

browneyesblue Wed 18-Oct-17 07:26:41

DS had pains behind his knees at that age. It was so bad sometimes that he would cry and drop to a crouching position, or crawl.

Like a pp's DC, it turned out that he had hypermobile joints. He hasn't had that level of pain in the last couple of years though, which is a relief.

browneyesblue Wed 18-Oct-17 07:31:02

Oh, and the pain was worst when he stood up, got out of bed, got out of his car seat, etc. He was constantly over extending.

NotAgainYoda Wed 18-Oct-17 07:34:14

Isn't this the sort of thing a podiatrist should look at? Gait etc?

NotAgainYoda Wed 18-Oct-17 07:35:00

... or yes, paediatric physio

Bigkingdom Wed 18-Oct-17 07:35:53

Come to think of it Browneyesblue, my daughter seems to complain in the morning and after sitting in her car seat mostly. Praying its something like that because other things i have read on google have really worried me. I hate google sometimes.

HermionesRightHook Wed 18-Oct-17 07:39:00

It's a very sensible thing to do - that's quite a specific pain and she's the right age for some nasty problems. I am sure the previous posters are quite right, it almost certainly is nothing, but if it's not then taking her for blood tests now will allow whatever it is to be caught early.

Doctors don't send small children for blood tests to appease their mothers, but they will send them to rule out serious conditions even when there's only a minimal chance of them.

Horses4 Wed 18-Oct-17 07:43:47

Speaking as the mum of a 4 year old who complains of the same thing - don't worry, it is almost certainly growing pains. I'm also the mum of a 7 year old with juvenile arthritis, so I absolutely get your anxiety. They will be testing for RP/CCP, ANA and inflammatory markers (ESR and CRP) in the first instance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now