Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How is my wrist *not* broken!?!?!? Pic...

(13 Posts)
LighthouseatHalloween Wed 18-Oct-17 02:20:49

Just got home from a and e. What a waste of a trip! I'm really surprised. It hurts more than when I actually broke my wrist grin

CMH123 Wed 18-Oct-17 08:05:01

Ouch, how did you manage that? Did they give you any painkillers?

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Wed 18-Oct-17 08:06:35

I did the same to my ankle. The bruising was actually worse and it was swollen but similar colour and marbley look. Mine was a sprain. Couldn't believe it either.

PringlesPirate Wed 18-Oct-17 08:09:34

Soft tissue and ligament damage can hurt more than a fracture, unfortunately. Did they give you further appointments or advice on how to manage the pain?

oreosoreosoreos Wed 18-Oct-17 08:14:55

DSS has a fracture that was right on the end of the growth plate (I think that was what they called it?). They were unable to see it on an X-ray, but it showed up on an MRI.

DingleBerries Wed 18-Oct-17 08:17:38

When I broke my foot it wasn’t the break that hurt the most was the torn ligaments.

UnbornMortificado Wed 18-Oct-17 08:22:17

Ouch, my DD's ankle looked similar and wasn't broken just stupidly bruised. She reckoned it hurt worse then when she actually broke it in the past. Even the fracture clinic nurse was shocked there was no break.

If hospital haven't given you any painkillers I'd see your GP, DD had to have codeine for about a week because paracetamol/ibrufen just weren't managing it.

Get well soon flowers

sweetbitter Wed 18-Oct-17 08:27:44

It looks really painful and that bruising is impressive!

When I broke my wrist though it was literally "bent out of shape", you could see the break beyond any doubt. Yours looks actually correctly aligned and straight IYSWIM.

What's the treatment for what you have? Did they give you one of those removable splint things?

BitOutOfPractice Wed 18-Oct-17 08:42:00

Ouch OP. That looks so sore. You poot thing thanks

Not really helpful I know but I did a sympathetic face and everything

LouLouLoupee Wed 18-Oct-17 08:52:11

Ouch, I had similar a few years ago after an injury at work.

They x-rayed it twice to make sure, I was sent home with a splint and painkillers.
Luckily it meant it healed faster than a break would, I was back at work on amended duties after a week and there was no long term damage.

Anatidae Wed 18-Oct-17 08:56:53

Ouch!

It’s very easy to miss wrist fractures - especially in the scaphoid. I had an absolute corker of a sprained wrist a few winters ago after slipping in ice - they x rayed it twice a week or two apart to check they’d not missed a fracture. Sometimes they can’t image them until there’s been some healing

amusedbush Wed 18-Oct-17 09:20:11

That was like my ankle when I did it in a couple of years ago. I had it x-rayed after limping around for weeks and apparently it wasn't broken but it was agonising! It still aches in certain weather now.

MayorGoodway Wed 18-Oct-17 09:24:24

As pp suggested, scaffoid fractures can take a week or so to show but if they are t picked up can cause necrosis. Keep an eye on it and go back to the Gp next week if it’s no better flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now