Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you iron your children's clothes...?

(220 Posts)
TurquoiseDress Wed 18-Oct-17 00:05:18

We recently stayed at my parents due to a water leak in the flat above us which meant that we needed to move out for a couple of weeks 

Anyhow, being back in the family home confirmed that I have a pretty poor relationship with both my parents and it drove us all a bit bonkers.

My parents tended to spend the late evenings discussing me (&DH) and where we were failing at life and everything in general.

One thing I overheard was how she thinks I'm a lazy cow for not ironing DC1's clothes (and to an extent, no doing DH's ironing)...my dad wittering on how my standards have slipped etc.

I work full time in a busy job and have other priorities in my time at home. I do not iron most of my clothes- only the ones that really need it eg linen stuff!

But it made me think- do most mums out there iron their children's clothes?
Am I really contender for worst mum of the year...?!

DaisysStew Wed 18-Oct-17 00:07:45

I do, but only because I'm too lazy to put them away when they're dry and end up with a heap of clean clothes that becomes the "ironing pile".

HermionesRightHook Wed 18-Oct-17 00:08:24

I don't iron anything, ever, and never will. It's boring and pointless, and I don't really care about the pleasure of ironed sheets enough to actually do it. I don't wear clothes that need ironing either, I hang stuff to dry.

TurquoiseDress Wed 18-Oct-17 00:10:45

@HermionesRightHook
Yes boring & pointless are words that spring to mind!

I love the feel of ironed sheets- but not enough to iron them myself! grin

milkysmum Wed 18-Oct-17 00:11:00

No I don't. They are 8 and 6 years. I don't think many clothes really need ironing at all.

FlurkenSchnit Wed 18-Oct-17 00:14:47

Since having my fourth DC two years ago the only things I iron are school shirts. Is a shame as I actually like ironing, but it would just be too much on top of everything else.

coolaschmoola Wed 18-Oct-17 00:15:34

Kids clothes get ironed here. I think they look better and you can definitely tell if they haven't been.

PressPaws Wed 18-Oct-17 00:15:41

I don't remember the last time I ironed. DD only knows what ironing is because she's seen DMIL do it. I deliberately avoid buying clothes that wrinkle badly.

Silverstreaks Wed 18-Oct-17 00:16:26

No. Very little gets ironed in this house. Weddings and interviews.
But we all know how to iron.

Mrsknackered Wed 18-Oct-17 00:19:28

Shirts and only shirts.
It's mundane and boring, I have far too much to moan about already.

aintnothinbutagstring Wed 18-Oct-17 00:20:57

Only iron school uniform and maybe an outfit for going somewhere nice. I don't iron my husbands clothes.

Parker231 Wed 18-Oct-17 00:21:29

The absolute minimum gets ironed here. It’s a waste of time when everything goes in the tumble dryer and then put on hangers. In the summer the cleaner irons cotton and linen items but most things don’t need ironing now.

nancy75 Wed 18-Oct-17 00:22:49

Yes, I iron everything but I quite like ironing & watching crap telly at the same time

tobee Wed 18-Oct-17 00:24:05

No can’t stand ironing and it looks worse when I try. And I have tried. Dh rarely needs shirts ironed and if he does he does it. Dc s are adults now and I only occasionally did theirs. My clothes rarely do. But I have, on occasion, used an ironing service and it was brilliant. It was a little luxury but £20 well spent. This was on ds’s sixth form shirts. He’s at uni now and in sole charge of his own clothes.

tobee Wed 18-Oct-17 00:24:55

That was £20 for loads btw!

Nagus Wed 18-Oct-17 00:27:34

Don't even own an iron.
《stealth boast》

BastardGoDarkly Wed 18-Oct-17 00:28:24

Just school uniforms.

I'll iron dh a shirt, if we're going out and I'm ironing myself something, if it's just him, he'll iron it himself.

Life's too short.

goodbeans Wed 18-Oct-17 00:31:09

Yes, all ironed here. But only because I enjoy doing it as I can justifiably watch tv with a glass of wine whilst doing so.

clary Wed 18-Oct-17 00:32:00

As in "Do they get ironed [by me]?"

Or as in "Do you iron them or do you make your children do it?"

I iron them but sometimes they do their own if I have failed to dig the required item from the ironing pile (which is always bigger near school hols (I am a teacher)).

Depending on how old your DC are, non-ironed school shirts (esp secondary) are not on in my book. But you may read a different book OP, and that's fine smile

Ii am like Nancy75 I quite like ironing & watching crap telly at the same time yyy

avamiah Wed 18-Oct-17 00:33:55

I iron my daughters school uniform and clothes that are creased and need to be ironed.
Surely everybody irons at least one item of their kids uniform?

TurquoiseDress Wed 18-Oct-17 00:38:09

@clary

Ah yes- what I'm asking is whether the clothes get ironed by you (not whether your children do it etc)

My mother has a very long list of my shortcomings as a women, wife and mother- not ironing my child or husband's clothes is one of my sins.

I'm thinking- meh life is too short.
Just wanted a reality check on here!grin

TurquoiseDress Wed 18-Oct-17 00:39:01

When DC1 starts school I will definitely be ironing school shirt etc!

avamiah Wed 18-Oct-17 00:46:34

TD,
I hate ironing .haha
Most kids uniform is iron free except the bloody cardigan/jumper .👍

oldlaundbooth Wed 18-Oct-17 00:56:37

God help me no.

oldlaundbooth Wed 18-Oct-17 00:57:15

FWIW my mum thinks not ironing is a mortal sin also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now