Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What happens with the DVLA?

(13 Posts)
Confuzzlediddled Tue 17-Oct-17 19:34:41

I was recently told I have a heart condition, it was found completely by chance when I had a preop assessment and was given an ecg. Apparently I've had it all my life, I've never had any symptoms and if I hadn't had the ecg I would never have known I have it, I don't think there are any plans to investigate further or anything.

I was looking at what needs to be reported to the DVLA as someone told me my RA should be reported to them (it doesn't) and there staring at me is WPW syndrome, which is the very thing they said I had.
I'm going to have to inform them but I'd want to speak to my GP first as it was very much a 'by the way your ecg showed you have this, nothing to worry about' type conversation and if Im at risk of losing my licence I want to be 100% sure I have it.

So once I inform the DVLA does that mean I need to stop driving? I'm literally sitting crying at the prospect, I'm disabled and my car is my lifeline, it enables me to work and keeps me trying to keep a normal life for my children as I can take them to dance classes, scouts etc. DH doesn't drive so I don't see how we could manage at all if I can't drive. I can't walk as far as the bus stop to use public transport, so I would be house bound and have to leave my job.
I believe they write to my GP and decide if I can have /keep my licence, it says 2/3 weeks but I remember hearing of people who have waited months for the DVLA to give thier licence back
Anyone know what happens? Can I inform them and keep driving? Or is it a "guilty until proven innocent" scenario?

I wish I'd never had the bloody preop and I'd have been none the wiser!

GrockleBocs Tue 17-Oct-17 19:39:36

When I had to notify them of something medical it was fine to continue driving until they made a decision. I'm on a review licence which means they'll check with my consultant every 3 years to make sure I'm still OK.
Don't panic flowers

Bourdic Tue 17-Oct-17 19:51:32

I’m sorry you are going through this. It happened to me a year ago with a different condition. I was allowed to keep driving until I had the appointment with my GP and he had sent his report in. They then said I could continue driving but gave me a 3 year licence so I’ll have to through it all again. I didn’t have to wait that long but it wasn’t a problem because I was allowed to keep driving - if they stop you driving until the process is finished then obviously it’s much worse, I found all their forms and corespondance really un user friendly and often attached extra sheets so I could explain properly. They give you very strict timelines for sending things back but when there was a delay getting a GPs appointment I just rang them and they said they’d make a note of it and that was fine. So my advice is bite the bullet, do everything you are told as fully as possible, keep them informed of any delays,observe time lines and hope for the best. It was a horrible time because like you I can’t imagine not being able to drive. Once I’d been given my 3 year licence I rang my insurance company - they were fine their view was that I had the licence so that was it so nothing changed. Good luck and pm me if you want more info

Earthmoon Tue 17-Oct-17 20:09:36

I got type 1 diabetes and have to renew my license every 3 years. I can't remember how long it took the first time I informed them of it. But I have found them to be very quick with renewal with the last one taking less than a week. I was allowed to drive according to the person I spoke with until a decision was made. Sometimes diffrent disorders have diffrent rules so it may or may not be the same. You can also call them ask if it is a reportable illness without giving your details.

NickMyLipple Tue 17-Oct-17 20:39:48

Have they not offered any treatment for WPW?

I have a very similar heart condition, and I have disclosed it to DVLA. I have no restrictions on my licence even though I have an ICD and medication.

BigMumma1245 Tue 17-Oct-17 20:58:13

Tell the hospital not to pass the information onto your GP. There will then be no evidence traceable by the DVLA

safariboot Tue 17-Oct-17 21:08:45

Besides everything else, maybe now is time to encourage DH to take driving lessons, unless he's medically unable.

Bourdic Tue 17-Oct-17 21:08:48

Big are you serious?

WeAllHaveWings Tue 17-Oct-17 21:09:41

Tell the hospital not to pass the information onto your GP. There will then be no evidence traceable by the DVLA

Seriously? If the OP is fit to drive she will be allowed to continue driving. If she is not fit to drive she shouldn’t be driving, how would you feel if someone with a medical condition and not fit to drive continued to drive and crashed into you or worse? This isn’t something to lie about.

OP I had a colleague who was allowed to continue to drive until they reviewed his case. Hope it goes ok for you.

Confuzzlediddled Tue 17-Oct-17 21:50:14

Thanks all, you've allayed my fears a bit at least! @NickMyLipple I don't think they'll need to treat it as I've never had any symptoms? It was almost a throwaway comment from the nurse at the time. @safariboot DH would like to learn to drive but he's severely dyspraxic and just hasn't got the required Coordination.

I would hope there should be no reason why I'm not allowed to keep driving then, as I wouldn't even have known if it wasn't for that ecg, I've a million other things wrong but I've never had symptoms from my heart, except when DH makes it flutter of course grin

Bourdic Tue 17-Oct-17 23:10:59

The initial form you have to fill in will be relevant to the type of medical problem you have - they put the notifiable conditions in groups. As soon as you start filling in the form I’m sure you’ll feel better as you haven’t had any symptoms that have affected your driving <puts mother hen hat on> now get on and download that form

NickMyLipple Wed 18-Oct-17 00:21:03

I'm surprised really because WPW is genetic and one of the causes of sudden death syndrome - I would be seeking a referral to an electophisologist. It should not have been a throw-away comment!

NickMyLipple Wed 18-Oct-17 00:23:33

I should add that you might be fine forever and it might not cause any issues at all, but it's not always and for that reason I would want expert advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now