Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I'm so tired all the time. My blood results are "normal" though

(110 Posts)
Permanentlyexhausted17 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:28:42

Long story short, I've been chronically exhausted for the last 3 years, since I became pregnant in 2015.

When I was pregnant I had low ferritin (6) so had an iron infusion. This went up to about 12 (I think).

Since giving birth, I was still exhausted. Simple tasks tire me out, I'm just so tired all the time. I had blood tests and kept being told the results were normal. When I pushed to ask my ferritin level 18 months ago, It was 10, so I was given a months worth of iron tablets.

After this, I was told once again that it's all in my head and I'm depressed. I got so fed up of being told that by 2 different doctor surgeries and 3 different Drs that I gave up trying to get to the bottom of it. That was just over a year ago.

I've now started with terrible pain in my hands, fingers and wrists. I saw a chiropractor, after a Dr said it was Raynauds (my symptoms don't seem very consistent with that imo) who wasn't sure, but said likely carpal tunnel.

I then saw another Dr who seemed unsure, and said they weren't sure it was carpal tunnel so arranged for blood tests and an x ray.

X ray and blood tests have come back finally. But because I was fobbed off before being told it was fine, yet my ferritin was actually low, I asked for a print out. Despite ferritin being written on the blood form, I can't see a ferritin result unfortunately. B12 was also written on the blood form but I can't see that that ones been done either.

Some other things are highlighted though, so can anyone help me make sense of them please? I'm wondering if any of them are the cause of my tiredness and/or pain...

"Serum C reactive protein level - 6mg/L (<5) "High" "

"Serum total protein - 81 g/l (60-80) "High" "

"Serum urate level - 354 umol/L (140 - 360)
Please note change in urate units from mmol/L to umol/L. Reported results are 1000 times higher than previous.
If treating gout, please treat to the British Rheumatoloy Society serum uric acid target of 300 umol/L and adjust dose to renal function"

"250H vitamin D - 52 nmol/L will be filed as: 44.LA.00 serum vitamin vitamin.
Total 250H vitamin D >50 nmol/L is sufficient in most individuals"

"Platelet count - 408 10*9/L (150 - 400) "High" "

Erthyrocyte Sedimentation rate - 23 mm/h (0-20) "High" "

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me as I'm so fed up. I do have another gp appt booked for November but I'd like to go in aware of what I'm talking about as I've been robbed off before.

NorthernLurker Tue 17-Oct-17 17:35:13

Have they looked at your thyroid function?

StormTreader Tue 17-Oct-17 17:36:24

Im not a doctor/nurse but I believe most of the things youve listed are indicative of an infection or an autoimmune response going on - the C reactive protein is one of the things they look at to tell that.

Most of your "High" readings though are only just past the top "normal" range, which is possibly why theyre not chasing it up with you, but I'd hope that the fact you ARE experiencing symptoms of something going on might prompt them to take a little more notice.

QuackDuckQuack Tue 17-Oct-17 17:38:08

Thyroid problems often occur after pregnancy and can be linked to carpal tunnel.

gingerbiscuitandacuppatea Tue 17-Oct-17 17:40:26

There's obviously something going on. Your iron should be much higher, over 80 I've been told for a good level. I'm surprised you weren't given iron infusions with it that low. Can you try a different Dr again and ask again for ferritin and b12 and folate to be looked at if results don't turn up

PlayOnWurtz Tue 17-Oct-17 17:42:45

Have you had your b12 checked?

gingerbiscuitandacuppatea Tue 17-Oct-17 17:44:52

Do you take any stomach medicines that might be reducing your ability to absorb iron or have gastritis etc?

A month's worth of tablets will do nothing, seems to me you need constant supplement to get level up and keep it there

Permanentlyexhausted17 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:48:13

I don't know if my ferritin is still that low as it hasn't been done for over a year, I was just mentioning it iyswim. But my hb level is fine isn't it?

Regarding b12 - again that was on the blood form but it doesn't seem to have been done.

Thyroid is all within normal range.

Permanentlyexhausted17 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:50:49

Is my vitamin d the low side of normal? I do take over the counter supplements for that due to still breastfeeding.

Leostar Tue 17-Oct-17 17:50:59

It's likely to be Fibromyalgia hun. I've had it and was told for a long time it was all in my head but had raised crp and esr

gingerbiscuitandacuppatea Tue 17-Oct-17 17:51:38

Slightly high platelet count indicates iron deficiency (according to Google)

toothgenie Tue 17-Oct-17 17:53:32

Another suggestion of B12 deficiency.
http://www.b12deficiency.info this is a very good site, have a look and check your symptoms

Neverenoughspoons Tue 17-Oct-17 17:55:08

I was also thinking Fibromyalgia, that can be triggered by pregnancy or stress or illness.

Permanentlyexhausted17 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:59:07

Oh my god I would never cope if it was fibromyalgia 😭

LucyLambstealer Tue 17-Oct-17 18:04:08

@Stormtreader - a crp of 6 is absolutely not high or indicative of anything, that is barely abnormal. You need a crp way way way above that to be clinically significant.

Op, please don't go around googling blood results and coming to conclusions yourself. All the results you have listed as "high" (crp, platelet, esr) are no way near high enough to be a problem. You would need a persistent platelet count over 700 before a doctor would look into it. A high platelet count is not diagnostic of anything other than a very small subset of leukaemias and bone marrow disorders, and again it needs to be well well above what yours is. An esr has very little diagnostic value and is essentially a useless archaic test and I wish doctors would stop ordering it. It is only really useless in some lymphomas and again it needs to be way way above the reference range, up into the 100's to be clinically significant. Your urate is fine and so is your total protein, 81 is not high it is essentially normal.

Regarding the ferritin and B12 if it was requested but not done then 99% of the time it is because the doctor or person taking your blood screwed up and not the lab, the lab however should have put out a report saying "no report available for X tests because of Y reason." Can you ask again to make sure they weren't run? And if not ask them to do it again. I'm sorry you're having such a crappy time with doctors not taking you seriously, there's not much I can recommend there other than be persistent or try another gp if you can. You're well within your rights to see another doctor if you feel your current one isn't taking you seriously.

TheQueenOfDuisburg Tue 17-Oct-17 18:06:47

I have fibro, its fucking shit and my bloods were always normal apart from vit d and b12 deficiencies, which are treated. In fact i am about to go back to GP as i now keep having funny turns, night sweats and feeling like i am going pass out.

Maybe go back and try and get more comprehensive blood tests done?

Cocolepew Tue 17-Oct-17 18:06:54

I have Lupus but my bloods are always ok, it was diagnosed on symptons. The tiredness and joint pain fit.
I would go with some type of auto immune disease. Can you get a rheumatology referral?

Permanentlyexhausted17 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:17:19

Here's the full report, including the thyroid ones which seem normal

Permanentlyexhausted17 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:17:59

Plus this bit

lazydog Tue 17-Oct-17 18:20:03

If your ferritin was 10 and you took oral iron supplementation for 1 month, that'd barely start to make a difference. My money is on you still having very low iron stores. You should insist on having that checked.

One Dr I spoke to recently said that I should be aiming for a ferritin level of >= 50, if possible, and then I would then feel much better. Not sure how I could ever hope to achieve that when it's a struggle for me to keep it around 20 (I'm on a permanent maintenance dose of iron for recurring anaemia.)

What was your Hgb this time?

Permanentlyexhausted17 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:21:29

B12 and ferritin was requested but I can't see it on the results unless it's named under something else?

I'm needle phobic so the thought of having to do it again is making me really anxious.

I know I shouldn't be googling it all Lucy, But this is now the 4th Dr to tell me it's all in my head so I feel like no one believes me, so I want to try and understand the results for myself if that makes sense. In an ideal world, I'd trust the Dr 100% to tell me what's low/high and if it's any cause for concern, but as my ferritin was only picked up by accident when I was pregnant and even then the gp said it was fine but hospital said it wasn't.. .so I just don't trust them anymore. I know I sound silly.

lazydog Tue 17-Oct-17 18:24:11

X-posted.

Hgb of 127 is ok, but I bet your ferritin is low.

LucyLambstealer Tue 17-Oct-17 18:26:11

Those results are all essentially normal op... it's extremely unlikely you have thyroid issues if your thyroid results are normal. Irrespective of what your actual ferritin levels are if your haemoglobin is normal (which it is) your fatigue will not be caused by any possible iron deficiency. Iron deficiency leads to low haemoglobin which leads to you feeling tired, if your haemoglobin is normal then that's not the problem. You should keep an eye on it for the future to make sure it doesn't become a problem later but at the moment it's fine.

I think you need to get your doctor to start looking into other diagnoses like other people have suggested.

Permanentlyexhausted17 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:29:59

I've been told ferritin can cause extreme tiredness, even if the hb level is fine. That's what I was told when I had my iron infusion anyway.

I realise my problems might not be ferritin related - I was just mentioning it so I wasn't drip feeding. I also agree it's not a thyroid issue as all that seems normal too.

newestbridearound Tue 17-Oct-17 18:32:29

Can you switch doctors surgeries? If they aren't satisfying you in terms of answers then it's worth considering. I recently had my b12 checked but it wasn't done alongside the standard tests for thyroid, iron etc so chase it up if they have missed it. Could you ask for physio for your hand? Or a referral to the pain clinic if its an ongoing problem?

I hope you can get to the bottom of it. I have ME and being permanently knackered and in pain is the pits flowers don't let them fob you off or make you feel its all in the mind. Sometimes with ongoing conditions they do end up making you feel like you are going mad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now