Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I've just accidentally shoplifted from Waitrose

(148 Posts)
TannedHand Tue 17-Oct-17 15:24:22

Sort of.

Bought four items (two kinds of soup, some seaweed crackers and an Itsu cup noodle thing). Went through the self service and accidentally dropped the lot onto the scanner bit (migraine, not at my best, bit wobbly). The thing beeped twice, I squinted at the screen (no glasses plus migraine = squint) and vaguely saw the word 'soup' twice, so proceeded to put the two kinds of soup in my bag. Rest of shopping went through fine, paid, left. As I was leaving I heard a member of staff say something about something not going through to another staff member and they went over to the till I'd used and started fannying on with it.

I thought nothing of it (perhaps if I'd been wihtough fucking migraine straight from Satan's own box of torture instruments I might have put the two together) until I got home and unpacked. The Waitrose receipt fluttered to the floor and when I picked it up I saw that the same soup had actually gone through twice - and it was the cheaper one. The other one was 52p more.

So, I have unwittingly stolen 52p from Waitrose and what's more I think they know. What do I do? Brazen it out and go in tomorrow as if nothing's happened while secretly terrified I'll feel the long arm of their security guard? Phone and explain and offer to pay and throw myself on their tender mercies? Resign myself to the fact I can never show my face in Waitrose again?

I haven't felt this bad since I accidentally put an almond croissant through as a plain one in M&S about ten years ago (I still worry I'm on a Most Wanted list somewhere at M&S HQ confused).

Shall I just go on the run and become a fugitive from the law?!

upperlimit Tue 17-Oct-17 15:26:32

You're fucked. You'll have to hone your bagging up skills now and shop at Lidl.

MaisieDotes Tue 17-Oct-17 15:27:09

Well at least have a bowl of soup before you go on the run. Keep your strength up.

TannedHand Tue 17-Oct-17 15:29:07

Maisie soup I can do. But the it'll have to be cheaper one. The guilt would probably choke me if I had the naice one. Ah fuck it, I'm going daaaaahn. Might as well eat fancy soup while I can.

BrokenBattleDroid Tue 17-Oct-17 15:30:05

I'm just impressed you got more than one thing to scan without sending the first one to the bagging area!

snowballkitty Tue 17-Oct-17 15:33:29

I did this in tesco. Went to the kiosk and picked up chewing gum while in the queue. Paid for my cigarettes and walked out with the chewing gum blush I felt SO guilty!

TannedHand Tue 17-Oct-17 15:35:53

snowballkitty you're welcome to join me On The Run. We'll be like Thelma and Louise. And we'll have soup and chewing gum to sustain us.

Theimpossiblegirl Tue 17-Oct-17 15:36:57

I think you should turn yourself in before they come and get you.

Otherwise you will have to start going in in disguise.

smile

maddiemookins16mum Tue 17-Oct-17 15:37:24

I did this once with a garlic bulb. Found it in the trolley underneath my packed bags when I got to the car.
I never went back in to pay either as DD was in the trolley seat asleep.
I felt guilty for months.

Letitsnowrainhail Tue 17-Oct-17 15:38:39

Take it back so they can ammend the mistake.

Alwaysatyke Tue 17-Oct-17 15:38:42

I accidentally stole 2cm of le creuset from Debenhams many years ago. In the new year sale they had a casserole dish for something like £35, "bargain!" I thought and proudly took it to the till. They scanned it and a higher price came up. I questioned this, showed them the little display with the sale price etc, they got the team leader who decided the till probably just wasn't updated and put it through at the lower price, boxed it for me and home I toddled.

Unpackaged it at home and found the box was for a 16cm dish, they'd crammed in the 18cm one I'd picked up (I'd seen them struggling to pack it but assumed they were just a bit rubbish). Checked online and lo and behold the sale price was for the smaller one.

In my defence I had given them many opportunities to correct my mistake and didn't knowingly do anything wrong...

DaisyRaine90 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:41:20

I would walk straight back in the next day.

What are they going to do?
If they pull you just say “Oops”

Not worth worrying about tbh

I LOVE "accidentally stole 2cm of le creuset" 😂😂

TannedHand Tue 17-Oct-17 15:44:45

Bollocks, I absolutely have to go in tomorrow to buy one of DH's birthday presents (whisky). Shall I go via the fancy dress shop and pick up one of those nose/spectacles/moustache disguises? Or shall I do what Letitsnowrainhail suggests and 'fess up?

Brens13 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:45:44

I accidentally stole £200 worth of shopping from Waitrose once. I did call them up and pay. I'm afraid I won't say how as you can probably still do it!!
I've also accidentally stolen a bakery cake from there before as they put two different ones in the same box, I only scanned one barcode stuck on the box thinking it was for both, it wasn't, there were two stickers I noticed when I got home.
My sister works in their head office and I told her of both occurrences, hopefully keeps me off the black list!!

Herculesfan Tue 17-Oct-17 15:47:35

I shoplifted two pregnancy tests in tesco. I didn't realise it was packs of 2 and it said 2 for £4. So I picked up two packets, I was a bit frazzled and put one through the scanner and it popped up £4 and off I went. It wasn't till I got home and realised I had 4 tests I worked it out.

RhiannonOHara Tue 17-Oct-17 15:49:23

It's fine, OP. Just get facial surgery and have your fingerprints professionally burned off. They'll never be able to pin it on you.

LondonHuffyPuffy Tue 17-Oct-17 15:50:38

Always but that wasn't theft - a contract in a shop is not concluded until the cashier tells you how much you have to pay and you pay it. If you had intentionally concealed 18cm of Le Creuset in a 15cm box that could have been construed as theft, but in this instance they saw and boxed up the item and told you how much to pay. You did nothing wrong smile. There was a mistake as to the advertised price which was not your problem

As for the wanton souplifting, Tanned ... I think you ought to go on the run

dustarr73 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:50:41

You do know op, you're on the day.Youll have to go in disguise or shop at So.😂😂

nonevernotever Tue 17-Oct-17 15:51:05

Phone them - you will feel much more comfortable, since nothing in your OP suggests you are a hardened criminal able to brazen it out.. I did a huge shop in Waitrose once and didn't realise until I was home that they'd given me a staff discount on it ( I am not and have never been staff..). I phoned customer services and explained and asked how I could pay them the difference. They laughed, thanked me for my honesty and said that I didn't need to pay anything.

Alwaysatyke Tue 17-Oct-17 15:52:40

London I love you for reinforcing my non-criminal status!

GrumpyMcGrumpFace Tue 17-Oct-17 15:53:00

I think accidentally stealing 2 cm of le creuset should get a "Most MNish crime award".

OP, you are going over to the dark side. Horrified to hear you have an almost history of this kind of behaviour. It's people like you that, err, are very similar to other people like you.

pisacake Tue 17-Oct-17 15:53:53

A 16cm Le Creuset? Why would anyone make anything so uselessly small?

SocMcDuffin Tue 17-Oct-17 15:53:59

I've accidentally shoplifted a book. It's very easy to tuck it under your arm and continue to browse. Walked right past the dopey security guard as well and was halfway to the bus stop before I realised it was still tucked in my armpit. I returned to pay and the shop assistant marvelled at my honesty.

And while writing that, I just realised that DS stole a prezel in Lidl on Saturday- he ate it going around the shop in the trolley and I forgot to tell the checkout assistant. Oops! Here comes another Walk of Shame...

TannedHand Tue 17-Oct-17 15:54:53

souplifting

That's it. I'm a souplifter. There's a name for my crime. Although technically I'm only a third-ish of a packet of souplifter. I'm not a hardened souplifter.

I'm so glad Crimewatch has been axed confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now