Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Aargh! How do you relieve itching?

(38 Posts)
DrRisotto Tue 17-Oct-17 15:13:49

OMG I'm dying. My legs are absolutely covered in itchy bite like bumps and it is driving me round the twist!
Ive taken an anti histamine, tried Germolene and Witch gel.Nothing is stopping the itch. Help!!

CatastropheKate Tue 17-Oct-17 15:26:11

Slap instead of scratching

InsomniacAnonymous Tue 17-Oct-17 15:32:27

I always have some antihistamine cream handy and that deals with it, but if the antihistamine tablets haven't helped I assume the cream won't either.

NoNoCharlieRascal Tue 17-Oct-17 15:33:51

Yup, give it a slap. The sting takes away the itch.

BigbreastsBiggerbeard Tue 17-Oct-17 15:34:19

I came on to suggest antihistames, but you've tried them. Could you take an extra one? If they are non sedating.

You can buy a cream called Eurax from the chemist which is an itch relief cream. Also one called Anthisan that is for itching too.

Slapping is actually quite a good suggestion. I have eczema and in the past they pain of a good slap can over ride the itch sensation. Not that practical though grin

I feel for you - intense itching is dreadful.

DrRisotto Tue 17-Oct-17 15:40:31

OoOh antihistamine cream, I haven't got that yet. Thanks for the recommendations.

Slapping...ok, i'll try but god isn't scratching so irresistible?! Any home remedies?

Coldhandscoldheart Tue 17-Oct-17 15:44:26

Ice packs or cold water.
There’s another anti itch ointment but I forget the name. I will check & let you know.

Maverick66 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:46:51

I would take a different antihistamine and calamine lotion

Wotrewelookinat Tue 17-Oct-17 15:55:48

Hydrocortisone ointment from pharmacy , not prescription.

TheFairyCaravan Tue 17-Oct-17 15:57:05

E45 anti-itch cream.

Scentofwater Tue 17-Oct-17 16:01:19

Ok I'm going to start this with saying I'm not a hippy or into alternative medicines etc.

BUT after having exzema all my life I have found the best way to relieve itchiness quickly is to imagine you aren't itchy. I imagine my eczema is covered in really cold oil. Or I sort of tell myself there is no sensation there.

It works. Sounds totally daft, I know, but try it.

SandLand Tue 17-Oct-17 16:57:53

Cover them in a towel soaked in hot water, then iced water - basically heat then cold, and switch as often as you want.

Hydrocortisone cream.

And I pinch mine.

3luckystars Tue 17-Oct-17 16:58:37

What is causing it?

PurpleStarInCashmereSky Tue 17-Oct-17 17:00:54

Put oats in the foot of a pair of sheer tights. Run a bath holding the oats under the tap and have a bath. Can soothe terrible itching.

BeyondThePage Tue 17-Oct-17 17:02:23

would say work out the cause first...

MrsKnightley Tue 17-Oct-17 17:08:43

Bicarbonate of soda in the bath.

3luckystars Tue 17-Oct-17 17:18:50

Are you pregnant?

DrRisotto Tue 17-Oct-17 17:44:03

I don't know what has caused it. It isn't just on my legs although it is predominantly. I'm not pregnant and am not trying.
I got bitten by some midges, recently but not this many and it didn't look like this at the time - there's more now.

Peachy27 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:45:42

Another vote for ice packs, worked wonders for pregnancy itching

bruffin Tue 17-Oct-17 17:47:09

Ibroprufen. Takes 20 minutes but does the trick for me

BeyondThePage Tue 17-Oct-17 18:07:46

Chicken pox? are they coming up with yellowy heads?

Have you had a cold/flu type virus?

Or, is there one larger patch somewhere that looks a bit like a burn?

Chrisinthemorning Tue 17-Oct-17 18:11:46

They say blast with a hairdryer as the hat stops the itch.
I was stung by a jellyfish in the summer and a week later it was the itchiest thing ever. I had to go to out of hours and ended up with potent steroid cream, prescription strength antihistamines and a short blast of oral steroids (I had to beg for the latter!)
Hope you feel better soon.flowers

DrRisotto Tue 17-Oct-17 18:14:54

No to all Beyondthepage.

I've been to the pharmacy and got both antihistamine and hydrocortisone cream, fingers crossed that'll do the job!

Fauxgina Tue 17-Oct-17 18:23:20

Are the bumps below your knee?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 17-Oct-17 18:26:22

Fleas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now