Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

can anyone help me get started with an iphone 5s?

(24 Posts)
ssd Tue 17-Oct-17 12:54:51

I want to start using ds's old iphone 5s but I honestly have no clue

at present I have an 8 yr old nokia that doesnt do anything but text or call

his old phone is lying in his room and I want to use it

it has no sim and is now not on a contract

I dont want all his details on it, its probably full of teenage boy stuff

how do I wipe it clean and use it for myself?

please any advice would be great, baby steps for a complete beginner

I've asked ds but he cant believe his mum has utterly no clue.....

ssd Tue 17-Oct-17 13:26:07

bump

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 17-Oct-17 13:30:34

Is it locked to a network? If it is, get it unlocked (previous network will do that I think).

Then get a giffgaff sim, they're very cheap.

To clear it down there's a factory reset option. I have done this but forget how - bear with me!

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 17-Oct-17 13:32:33

To reset go into Settings then General & right at the bottom is reset. (You might need to borrow his sim & put it back in first.)

Good luck! smile

theymademejoin Tue 17-Oct-17 13:33:50

If it was on contract, you may need to get it unlocked. He needs to contact the provider to get them to do that. You also need to restore to factory settings (Settings, General, Reset, Erase all content and settings) but make sure he has copied over everything he needs to the new phone first. You need to get a new sim card for it. Go to your provider and ask them to do that. They should be able to do everything for you, including telling you how to transfer your number.

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 17-Oct-17 13:35:31

I'm assuming he already backed everything up to iCloud & reinstalled it on his new phone?

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-reset-iphone-or-ipad-factory-settings-3596892/%3famp

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 17-Oct-17 13:37:44

Having read through that, he'll need to input his apple password in order to do the reset.

Notreallyarsed Tue 17-Oct-17 13:41:21

He needs to put in his iTunes password for a factory reset, that will take off all of his information and put it back to new. Then when you turn it on there’s step by step instructions on how to set it up for yourself.

ssd Tue 17-Oct-17 20:05:06

thanks

he has another phone now and has all his info on that, so I'm assuming I could just wipe his phone now

how do I find out if its locked to a network?

ssd Tue 17-Oct-17 20:07:21

his phone was with tesco and my nokia is with virgin, do I need to ask tesco to unlock his phone then ask virgin to give me a new sim and get my number transferred over to the iphone?

FAkenameforthis Tue 17-Oct-17 20:08:41

You need it unlocked and a pac code to swap it over. He may have to do that, depending on passwords etc. You may need a new sim as iPhone 5 takes a v small sim

ssd Tue 17-Oct-17 20:09:59

thanks

who gives you the pac code and what's it for?

and where would I get a new sim for it?

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 17-Oct-17 20:42:47

Sim cards now come with 3 sections - your old brick probably has the biggest size & probably won't have the push-out smaller sizes. 5s is probably nano (the tiny one)

If you want to stay with Tesco you can just ask them for a new SIM with your old number.

If you want to change provider, ask your new provider for a SIM & Tesco will then give a PAC code to transfer your number to the new provider

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 17-Oct-17 20:45:44

Oh sorry, you're with virgin & he was with Tesco! Oops.

I think he still needs to put his SIM into the 5s to reset it.

Then you can try putting a virgin sim in & see if it works. If it does, fine. If not, ask Tesco to unlock it.

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 17-Oct-17 20:47:12

If you're sticking with virgin you don't need a PAC code - that's only to move your old number to a new provider.

ssd Tue 17-Oct-17 20:54:57

I think his iphone still has his old sim in it, but as I cancelled his contract would it still work and reset the phone?

FinallyHere Tue 17-Oct-17 21:09:59

Do you have WiFi? If so, then I'm pretty sure you could connect through wifi and not need the sim card present. Good luck.

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 17-Oct-17 21:14:02

What has he got in his new phone?

Are you still paying for his old contract?

ssd Tue 17-Oct-17 21:39:28

his new phone is a samsung and no, the contract is ended on his old iphone

Iizzyb Tue 17-Oct-17 21:40:15

Place marking

FAkenameforthis Tue 17-Oct-17 21:45:00

If the sim is in it then try turning the phone on and seeing what happens. Do you want to keep your current number?

ssd Tue 17-Oct-17 21:58:38

yes I'd want to keep my current number

once I turn it on and assuming it comes on, what do I do then?

FinallyHere Tue 17-Oct-17 22:19:23

Once you have followed the instructions upthread, when you turn it on it will walk you through the set up from scratch.

ssd Tue 17-Oct-17 22:51:44

thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now