Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Any landlords or housing law people out there? Quick question....

(8 Posts)
fairytaleoflondontown Tue 17-Oct-17 12:01:21

Hi MN
Just a quick one....
My LL has given me two months notice - if I found somewhere & wanted to move in, say, 2 weeks time, would I still have to give him a month's notice even though he's given me two months notice?
Thank you.

PestoSwimissimos Tue 17-Oct-17 12:05:24

Yes, if that’s the notice period required in your Tenancy Agreement. If in doubt read it!

ConsiderIt Tue 17-Oct-17 12:11:42

Yes. It's unfortunate but you may ask for a concession seeing as they initiated the move first.

If your agreement a 6 month fixed tenancy agreement? If it's moved on from that and is a periodic tenancy agreement you only need to give them a month's notice (they still need to give you two).

OnionShite Tue 17-Oct-17 12:16:26

LL can enforce the contract, but there's nothing stopping you asking to be let out of it early. Perhaps in return for, say, allowing viewings before you move out? You don't have to allow them at all if you don't want to, so if he forces you to pay rent until the end of the contract you can stay in the house and refuse entry until then if you like. Maybe see if there's a way you can come to a mutually convenient compromise?

PestoSwimissimos Tue 17-Oct-17 13:45:56

Onion, in most Tenancy Agreements it does state that you have to allow access for viewings, so if you didn’t you would be breaking the the terms & conditions of the Tenancy Agreement.

OnionShite Tue 17-Oct-17 14:27:50

Such clauses aren't worth the paper they're written on. Tenants are legally entitled to quiet enjoyment of the property, which includes not having to allow viewings if they don't want to. I don't disagree that it's very common for this to be in tenancy agreements, but a landlord could not enforce it. If there's a contract between the provisions of the law and the provisions of the landlord, the law wins.

Hence, if I were OP I'd try using it to bargain. Co-operation from the tenant during the final month might well be worth more in terms of voids than one more month's rent.

ConsiderIt Tue 17-Oct-17 14:32:30

Onion, in most Tenancy Agreements it does state that you have to allow access for viewings, so if you didn’t you would be breaking the the terms & conditions of the Tenancy Agreement.

The trouble is, a landlord has to take a tenant to court over breaking the agreement and right of access. This would take much longer than two months! Meanwhile, a landlord breaks the law if they try to access the property.

The law really is heavily in favour of the tenant, short term at least, much more than people realise.

fairytaleoflondontown Tue 17-Oct-17 19:57:49

Thanks everyone
My LL has agreed to extend notice period to Jan which means I can breathe a bit...
confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now