Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Horrendous UTI symptoms but only in the morning...

(16 Posts)
ThierryEnnui Tue 17-Oct-17 09:11:21

So I should start by saying I have been to my GP about this twice. The first time I was tested for a UTI and it was clear, told to wait for it to pass, and the second time told to drink more water.

Every few mornings I wake up with intense UTI symptoms, needing to pee constantly and a burning feeling all around the area. It’s horrible; I’m sitting in the work loos as I write this because it’s come on particularly badly this morning.

It does tend to pass throughout the day, but oh god it is so so bad for an hour or two when it happens. I drink loads of water so it can’t be dehydration; I certainly drink no less than I have in my 30 odd years of not having this...

Does anyone have any idea at all what this could be/have any experience with it? I am more than happy to go back for medical advice but 2 GP appointments haven’t really given me anything to go on sad

ThierryEnnui Tue 17-Oct-17 09:11:45

Also I am not a piss troll.

dazedandconfuse Tue 17-Oct-17 09:13:00

This could be either really unhelpful to you or the best advice you've ever been given. I experienced similar problems a couple of years ago and the only thing that sorted me out was drinking cranberry juice 🙃 might be worth a shot!

KarateKitten Tue 17-Oct-17 09:16:01

UTIs can stay in your tract for years, just flaring up every now and then. I'd go back to the GP and tell them the issue isn't solved/improved and is miserable. Ask for a referral to a urologist. You might need long term antibiotics to try and clear it once and for all or maybe it's not a UTI. Either way you can't just leave it.

CoraPirbright Tue 17-Oct-17 09:19:26

Back to the GP and get a referral to a consultant. The GPs who haven't been more diligent in helping you have clearly never had a UTI themselves. It is a special kind of hell.

I got repeated UTIs and the consultant urologist discovered an infection in the cervix - the UTI symptoms were caused by/secondary to this. Might be worth a thought?

ThierryEnnui Tue 17-Oct-17 09:21:09

Thanks dazed, at this point, I'll try anything grin

I used to get cystitis quite badly with my first boyfriend <misty-eyed> and found those cranberry sachets helpful at the time, so I have some of those in stock at home and will have to just sip these throughout the morning for now.

Karate I think a referral to a urologist is what I need; the challenge is persuading the GP to do so (my surgery is attached to the local A&E ward so is often cycled by locums who don't always have context of previous visits etc).

Interestingly, Google throws up mostly a) women posting on pregnancy forums, and b) men thinking they've got chlamydia. confused

Kattatty87 Tue 17-Oct-17 09:21:41

Every time you get a uti it builds up scar tissue in the uretha (guess how many I've had to know this!!)
A full bladder will atagonise this and that's probably why you get the symptoms in the morning as you be slept all night. Try drinking less at night, making sure you go yo the toilet just before bed so your bladder isn't getting too full at night. Also try acodelphius from Holland and Barrett. I've found that really helps to prevent symptoms

2SugarsLoadsofMilk Tue 17-Oct-17 09:25:14

I used to have this to it is horrendous! Its even worse when being at work with it, I always just wanted to get in the bath or sit on the toilet! It comes and goes with me, I'd drink a lot of water to try and feel a bit better for when I do need to go!

CMH123 Tue 17-Oct-17 09:26:02

Seven Seas cranberry supplements capsules are well worth a go. I've had kidney infections on a frequent basis due to scar tissue. This is the only thing that slows the buggers down. I have them delivered monthly from Amazon so I never run out.

geoff409 Tue 17-Oct-17 09:27:02

Man's point of view here but end of last year I had something similar, waited about a fortnight and went to the doctor and no UTI. Turns out it was a bubble bath type of thing I was using - when I was washing, and it was in the already in the water, it had made everything very sensitive and caused the burning/stinging etc. I stopped using it and I now take Solgar Cranberry capsules regularly (they're basically cranberry extract so you get all of the cranberries but hardly any sugar, and you can get them in health food shops - not cheap though). This may not be you but maybe worth a try.

Kaby Tue 17-Oct-17 09:41:00

I also have a fair bit of experience with this and its horrible, I really feel for you.

firstly when you say the dr did a test was this a dipstick test or did they send it off to be cultured? I have had uti's in the past which don't show up on a dipstick but have shown up when cultured. its also worth knowing that they have a threshold level to show "infection" so something could grow on your culture but not be enough to be classified as an infection. any sample you provide needs to be quite concentrated urine for that reason.

most of the time you will need antibiotics to clear up a uti, and you may need at least 5 days. trimethoprim is useless in lots of cases, so nitrofuratoin is better.

I have had some success treating myself without resorting to antibiotics by using uva ursi and goldenseal, both herbal remedies, you can get them online from natures way or Holland and barrett.

a lot of the time you will get some residual discomfort after an infection, anything which makes your urine alkaline will help with this, homemade lemon barley water, without the sugar, is great both afterwards and during. you can also get potassium citrate solution from the pharmacist which has an alkalising affect and really helps.

I hope this helps you out!

purplecollar Tue 17-Oct-17 09:47:21

The urine test strips very often don't work for all UTIs. A sample should be sent off to the hospital. That would be my first point of call. It might be that you just need a course of AB. My GP will only refer to hospital if you've had 3 UTIs in 6 months.

If you do get referred they will expect you to have had samples sent off by your GP to confirm which type of UTI. Start keeping a diary of symptoms.

I only know because my GP didn't do this. She was supposed to have sent samples off, given me the appropriate AB, and check whether it worked or not, several times. As such when I got to hospital it was just chaos really and I ended up with no solution at all, having been under them for a year.

Self help - drink cranberry juice or take tablets, lay off the caffeine, a spoon of honey lines the bladder (I'm told) so can help, don't drink lots of water - it apparently washes out the good bacteria as well as the bad. Do pelvic floor exercises in case it's being caused by start of a prolapse of the bladder. Shower instead of bath. If you're anywhere near menopause age, it's very common due to change of hormones. And one that just never occurred to me, take paracetamol or ibuprofen. It masks the symptoms sometimes so that you don't feel so wretched.

Some people swear by a product called D-Mannose which you buy on Amazon. I think (but don't know) it extracts the thing in cranberries that is effective.

EddieHitler Tue 17-Oct-17 10:22:38

I find drinking a glass of Ocean Spray cranberry juice before bed helps me. I also drink another first thing in the morning and/or if I know I'm going to go a while without drinking much. I was getting an infection every month and (touch wood...) I haven't had one since I started drinking cranberry juice, over a year ago.

Apparently cranberry tablets 3x per day (morning, noon and night) do the same thing, you can buy a small tub in Tesco for about £1. Cranberry doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a try. Good luck.

ThierryEnnui Tue 17-Oct-17 19:22:14

Thanks all for some really helpful suggestions! Am hoping my urethra isn’t scarred now grin

I have another GP appointment tomorrow at 4pm...

Incunabula Tue 17-Oct-17 19:45:02

After years of recurrent attacks, my GP prescribed imipramine. It’s used for interstitial cystitis (which I’m still not convinced I actually have) but it has worked wonders. It seems to just sort of calm everything down. I’ve gone from suffering at least one episode a month, which was utter hell, to only having had one in 3 years. Worth asking about it, and best of luck!

CoraPirbright Wed 18-Oct-17 09:56:42

Good luck today and dont leave the surgery without the promise of a referral!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now