Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Local news is always London- why?

(19 Posts)
Snap8TheCat Tue 17-Oct-17 07:14:34

And can I change it? I suspect not.

I don’t live in London, I live outside of the m25 and yet our local news is always London and we never hear things that are actually local.

Does anyone else have this? Can you change your ‘local’ news? Not sure what I would change it to!

RoseAndRose Tue 17-Oct-17 07:16:31

On Freeview?

There's either somewhere in your settings where it'll ask for your location and will automatically update regional programming.

Or if you want an out-of-area channel, there somewhere in the high hundred numbers (used to know exactly, but can't remember right now)

Ifailed Tue 17-Oct-17 07:21:19

check out this map news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7747697.stm to select the right area. Freeview doesn't broadcast all the regional channels across the UK, but you maybe able to pick up the relevant one.

Kpo58 Tue 17-Oct-17 07:23:48

When you do live in London, local news is pretty much the same as national news. sad

Ifailed Tue 17-Oct-17 07:24:31

PS
you can also use iPlayer if you change your location, its on the bottom left of the browser screen.

Snap8TheCat Tue 17-Oct-17 07:25:57

Well quite Kpo - I don’t even live in London!

I’m not sure it’s anything I have set up- everyone around here seems to have it. They must think we are interested in it!

Oblomov17 Tue 17-Oct-17 07:52:34

Same here. Don’t like it. But cant imagine there would be enough local news to produce a programme.

Trills Tue 17-Oct-17 07:55:42

If you've got your TV set to the right area, is this like someone in rural Somerset complaining that their local news is always about Bristol, when that's not where they live?

Or someone in the West Midlands complaining that the news was all about Birmingham?

If something dramatic happened where you are, it would probably be included on that "London" news.

ProfYaffle Tue 17-Oct-17 07:56:56

Is it on the HD channel? We don't get our local news on the HD version of BBC1, it always goes to London. On the none HD version it's normal.

wendz86 Tue 17-Oct-17 07:58:22

If you live near London you might still gone under that region . I live in Hertfordshire and do .

specialsubject Tue 17-Oct-17 09:40:25

I am in the west mids and the local news is indeed always about Birmingham. Reporters never leave cities unless it is to stand looking foolish on promenades during storms.

Beyond me why anyone outside a few big cities bothers with TV regional news. Waste of time.

scurryfunge Tue 17-Oct-17 09:46:31

My tv local news is set to the south west region and unless I call Sky out it apparently can't be changed. I live in the West Midlands but nearer to Wales so I manually select Wales daily.

HaHaHmm Tue 17-Oct-17 10:36:51

Where are you? BBC London covers parts of Bucks and most of Berks and Surrey but they do get rather overshadowed by happenings in London. BBC South East covers Kent, East Sussex, part of West Sussex, and a bit of Surrey. Herts and Beds come under BBC East but it depends where in the county you are and which transmitter you are nearest as to what you actually pick up.

BBC One HD defaults to BBC London as not all of the regions are filmed or txed in HD yet. If you have Sky or Freesat you can choose any of the regions that you want.

Snap8TheCat Tue 17-Oct-17 11:32:20

I’m in Berkshire. Never have I seen any news about my home town.

Snap8TheCat Tue 17-Oct-17 11:33:34

And yes the local bews is called BBC London or Good Morning London. Why if it’s not only London they cover? Why not ‘South east’ or similar.

Ifailed Tue 17-Oct-17 11:59:18

I supposed London, with 9 million inhabitants, will always dominate the local news in the area, statistically something of interest is more likely to happen there.

when I visit other parts on England, I do get the feeling they have to pad out the 1/2 slot at 6:30, cat stuck up tree, chip-pan fire, hedge stolen etc. They are hardly newsworthy events, but I suppose the regions are desperate to cling on to their local studios and the kudos that involves.

Teddy1970 Tue 17-Oct-17 12:08:08

I'm in West Sussex and we get BBC South Today...there have been fair few news articles about towns in Berkshire, when it's newsworthy that is, South Today covers Oxford as well I believe. In fact there was a news article in the other night about a village in West Berkshire....might be worth tuning in?

Teddy1970 Tue 17-Oct-17 12:11:46

Oh and the Reading football team (can't remember their name) is often mentioned in the sports news on South Today..

nemno Tue 17-Oct-17 12:18:09

You probably could opt for South Today. A relative in Reading was cross that when he moved a very short distance that the Cable TV was tuned to South Today when he wanted London so he got it changed. South Today is rarely about anything other than Southampton but it does cover Reading (and yes covers Reading FC as well as south coast teams smile ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now