Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Moving from London to Belfast

(71 Posts)
LeiasGoldBikini Mon 16-Oct-17 21:03:39

Is it a terrible idea? Have lived in London for 8 years, originally from just outside Belfast. Have a 3 year old and can do my job from home but coming to London twice a month for meetings. Whereas we're barely managing here, in Belfast we'd be better off.

What's it like now? Where as a mixed couple (I'm Catholic, DH is English) would be best to live? We can't drive. We're worried it would be a terrible mistake but can't hold on here much longer and don't want to move somewhere we have no connection to.

Northernexile Mon 16-Oct-17 21:12:49

I'm English (from the North West), DH is an NI Catholic. I moved over here ten years ago. We have moved out of Belfast now to the country, but I loved living there and we never had any problems at all. We lived in South Belfast, off the Ormeau / Ravenhill Roads. I loved it, Belfast is such a brilliant place these days. If your work situation is solid then I wouldn't hesitate- schools are very good, Belfast has loads to do and your money would definitely go further!

ZestyDragon Mon 16-Oct-17 21:18:08

DH is NI Catholic and we are about 15 miles south of Belfast. We could never have afforded the house that we have now in or around London. Salaries are very low though in a lot of sectors. What would your DH do?

I have been here 8 years now.

LeiasGoldBikini Mon 16-Oct-17 21:51:15

He's a SAHD but would get a job when DS went to nursery. We want to have another child, can't see that happening here

LeiasGoldBikini Tue 17-Oct-17 09:26:14

Is finding a job there impossible? I do freelance work which I can always use to top up my income. But I don't have a degree which seems to essential there and nor does DP. He's also been out of the work market for years. But he'd face that same issue in London and there we wouldn't need as much to live on - my income for freelance work would manage to cover most of our rent for instance.

A1Sharon Tue 17-Oct-17 10:18:53

OP work here could be your downfall. I have a friend who had a very high profile job in London. She moved back to Belfast for family reasons. Now some years later she is fed up. She never could get a job here, she does free lance but that is mostly for companies in England. I know of quite a few people who now commute, mon-thur London, rest of time here with their families. Or DH lives in London and commutes back here to family when possible.
Yes, life is good here. I recommend the Holywood area. It's a lovely small town, with buses and trains in to city centre, by the sea, great schools. Or Ballyhackamore area. I know so many people who moved here from England and they all love it, but the jobs market is shite. Not much in the way of big business. I really recommend you research the job market thoroughly for both of you before you move.

LeiasGoldBikini Tue 17-Oct-17 10:55:59

My job isn't high profile in anyway, just at a charity. But work is what worries me.

A1Sharon Tue 17-Oct-17 11:01:29

I think another of the problems here is that people tend to stay in jobs for a long time, so there isn't the high turnover. Your wages will be less. I don't want to put you off though, just give you a chance to really look into it.

buckeejit Tue 17-Oct-17 11:11:31

I'm from Co Antrim & moved back from Manchester 5 years ago. I effectively renounced my career when moving back & earn next to nothing working pt for a charity now. Dh also took a pay cut. However I wouldn't change it for the world.

Love NI & it's a great place to raise children. We can be at loads of different great beaches/green spaces etc every weekend & don't waste lots of time travelling. There are a lot of charity jobs on communityni if you have a look it might give you an idea

Cakescakescakes Tue 17-Oct-17 11:23:46

Wages will be lower but housing is vastly cheaper. I agree with a pp about South Belfast (Ravenhill, Ormeau, Four Winds so Bt7/BT8). Mixed areas with good cafes, Forestside shopping centre but also local independent butchers, bakeries etc and a great buzz and diverse population. I love there smile In my part you can easily buy a good 3 bed home with garden in good walk in condition for £170,000. There are cheaper areas if you go further towards east Belfast but it is a bit more segregated in terms of Protestant and Catholic etc so depends if you prefer more of a mixed area eg South Belfast has lots more integrated schools etc.

LeiasGoldBikini Tue 17-Oct-17 11:25:21

What about Cavehill Road? See mansions there for £600.

Can I ask if you live there what your household earns and if you're comfortable enough? Our combined wage if we moved would be £35k a year. Which isn't a lot at all I know. But it's nearly impossible to live on in London, which we are.

Cakescakescakes Tue 17-Oct-17 11:25:34

Belfast is brilliant now - yes there are still eejits in both sides and the politicians would drive you mad but it is a wonderful place - loads for families and it is really coming into its own now in terms of international visitors etc. You wouldn’t know the place from 10 years ago.

Cakescakescakes Tue 17-Oct-17 11:29:31

North Belfast (so Cavehill area) would have much cheaper housing but also much greater areas of social deprivation and the associates lack of amenities and infrastructure and investment that goes along with that. Although upper Cavehill is generally quieter. You are a lot further from the city centre though so can feel a bit isolated. North Belfast would also be very segregated in terms of religious divide. It has some beautiful old houses etc but in general I think if you’re moving from London you’d be happier in the South which is the most cosmopolitan part of the city and has much much better and quicker transport links than the north (eg several train stations in and around south and central Belfast which isnt the case in the rest of the city). Try Property News website and look for rentals on there. It’s the main NI property webiaye (also Property Pal).

GreyBird84 Tue 17-Oct-17 11:32:25

To be honest I think not driving would be very limiting in NI.

I work in Belfast, commute is 1.15mins but the job makes it worthwhile. Most decent jobs are in the city.

Wages definitely not on par with mainland but as everyone else says living costs are lower.

We live in a 200K house - detached, 3 bed, 3 reception, 3 bathroom, kitchen, utility, double garage & big garden. We couldn’t afford this kind of property in Belfast or across the water.

I love living here & I think it’s fab for families.

Cakescakescakes Tue 17-Oct-17 11:32:40

Our income has fluctuated greatly while we lived here and is now not much more than yours as I am now a SAHM. The other thing to note is that we don’t have council tax here. You pay ‘rates’ which is similar and is around £800 a year for our property. Water is also free so no water bills.

Cakescakescakes Tue 17-Oct-17 11:33:09

Yeah if you can’t drive you really need to be in Belfast.

buckeejit Tue 17-Oct-17 11:38:02

Our combined income is about £30k but we've no mortgage & dh pays about £1.5k pa on train tickets.

We've had some money gifted from parents in last couple of years but spent that on home improvements so next year will be tightening out belts a lot.

When your dc goes to school will that free up some childcare money?

LeiasGoldBikini Tue 17-Oct-17 11:39:11

We don't have any childcare money at the moment, DH is a SAHD.

buckeejit Tue 17-Oct-17 11:40:40

Ah, see he's SAHP, sorry. Yes driving would be good but am sure your dp would find something that suits. I found it very scary moving back here & it is a culture Shock but it's certainly possible to make a happy home here. We would have struggled to have another dc in England with no support but my parents are a big help here.

LeiasGoldBikini Tue 17-Oct-17 11:40:55

I love South Belfast but it is much more expensive - we'd need a 3 bed with a garden and looking on PropertyPal that's about 700-800pcm.

sunnywithadashofgin Tue 17-Oct-17 11:44:20

East Belfast is very up and coming and undergoing all sorts of regeneration. It isn't the same as it was, no trouble on the 12th. Politics still frustrating however. We moved back from London 2 years ago with our baby, best decision ever. We have less money but costs here are less, so it is all relative. I would try and secure work before you come though or else that will be an added stress.

Cakescakescakes Tue 17-Oct-17 11:57:32

www.propertypal.com/8-windermere-close-belfast/426624

Yes the nice bits of Ormeau and Ravenhill would be £800 easily but there are pl etc of alternatives.

Lots of this type of property in BT8 on edge of South Belfast. This would be couple mins walk from a main Metro bus which would cost £1 and take about 15 mins to get to the city centre. Also 10 mins walk from shopping centre with local shops and a lovely restaurant 2 mins walk away.

LeiasGoldBikini Tue 17-Oct-17 12:19:37

This is too expensive but I like Belmont. How lovely is this house, it's £500 less a month than my 2 bed flat! www.propertypal.com/125-belmont-road-belfast/417391

A1Sharon Tue 17-Oct-17 18:27:52

What rental budget are you aiming for? I could pick ploutva few possibilities for you.

Badweekjustgotworse Tue 17-Oct-17 18:39:44

Belmont avenue lovely, beLmont road is very busy main route though, but the area is nice, second whoever said ballyhack

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now