Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I just fell over & sprained my ankle...

(42 Posts)
JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 17:33:40

In the park. The sky looked a great colour so I grabbed my camera & the kids & off we went to take some photos, have a walk around etc. Well I walked right into a little hole in the grass, felt a bit of a crack in my ankle, & according to my partner I did a sideways flip in the air & landed nicely on the floor in front of all the people sitting in their cars/getting back into their cars with their dogs.11 year old couldn’t stop laughing, 4 year old gave no shits & suggested they just carried on to the play area without me. I just laid there waiting for the nearest car full of people to leave before I took 5 minutes to drag myself back up onto my feet & hobbled to the bench.

Luckily we went to the naice park a bit further away so we drove, so no hobbling home. Am now admiring my swelling & exempt from any work around the house tonight grin

pinkyredrose Mon 16-Oct-17 17:36:17

Ouch! In fact double ouch! Seriously though as it's swollen and you heard a crack there's a chance it could be broken.

JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 17:39:57

Nah I really don’t think it’s broken. It’s not as painful as last time I did it & it wasn’t broken then. I was convinced it was broken that time but nope! Think it was just a crack where my ankles aren’t used to moving in that direction grin

I also landed on my camera, I checked that was ok before I checked myself haha

BearSoFair Mon 16-Oct-17 18:03:46

Ouch OP!

Really though, do rest as much as you can and get it checked if you feel like it's getting more sore over the next couple of days. I sprained my ankle a few years ago and carried on thinking "well I can walk so it'll be fine!", on the 4th day I ended up in A&E because my whole foot had swollen up, got a good telling off for walking round on it for so long and ended up on crutches for 8 weeks (was 10 weeks total until I could walk normally/pain free again)...it really wasn't my finest moment!

JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 18:17:32

I don’t know what I’m going to do tomorrow, my car died at the weekend & ive got to get 4 yr old to school! Even if I did have crutches I just can not walk with them to save my life (I’d be pushing a pram anyway so not sure how that’d work either!) I only really know one or 2 mums to say hello to as well, no phone numbers to be able to call on for help. Maybe it’ll be one of those that feels a bit better when I wake up if I drug myself up tonight confused

JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 18:57:39

Ooh my ankle egg is cooking nicely

Scribblegirl Mon 16-Oct-17 19:00:28

Ouch! I did mine last week, bloody paving stone - I'm double jointed though so do have a tendency to go over on my ankles every year or so (it's why I gave up wearing heels a few years back!) Here's mine to keep you company. grin

Just remember RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. And wine!

JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 19:04:02

I’m totally blaming my daughter for this. She was moaning last night that her ankle hurt (trying to get out of school today more like) and I showed her a pic of my last sprained ankle all purple & swollen. She asked when I last did it so I said it was a while ago so I’m probably due another one soon (like you it’s a regular occurrence for me)
If she hadn’t made me have that conversation I definitely wouldn’t have jinxed myself grin

Mner Mon 16-Oct-17 19:14:03

If it's happening a few times, I would try to get a physio app. I've done mine more times than I can count and I'm having physio now to help strengthen it.

TheSassyAssassin Mon 16-Oct-17 19:22:20

Go carefully OP ...if it doesn't settle down def get it checked out. Fell over a dodgy bit of paving on my lunch hour once. Had to be helped into a nearby shop for a sit down as had gone white apparently. After 10 mins carried on. Went to bank. Went to get lunch. Back to office. Walked upstairs to 3rd floor, back down for meeting, back up, 15 painful mins to car, drove home, dragged self round for 48hrs. Finally admitted defeat, went to hospital, torn all ligaments off one side and splintered the bone and fractured the bone on the other side! Plaster for 6 weeks and physio for 18mths afterwards! Pain threshold way too high for own good confused Hope it eases soon flowers

JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 19:48:30

I definitely don’t have that high a pain threshold! I’m notorious for being a whinger grin that sounds quite hardcore!

I didn’t know you could strengthen them I should definitely look into it!

TheSassyAssassin Mon 16-Oct-17 20:05:37

Hardcore...or just ridiculously stupid! Def did more damage trying to keep going. Rest up if you can smile

Sweetnessishere Mon 16-Oct-17 20:14:12

2nd plenty of rest.

I did mine walking along a tarmac road, I just visited a tourist spot with steps and uneven surfaces, all fine. Walking back to the car was obviously too much for me. I didn't do RICE and I still have problems 6 months later

JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 20:25:21

I keep laughing to myself. The worst bit was it was right infront of a car with 2 young people sitting in it, I didn’t even look at them to see if they were pissing themselves laughing or not 🙈

TheSassyAssassin Mon 16-Oct-17 20:53:06

I am imagining that moment in Car Share where Peter Kay goes arse over tit! grin At least you're giggling about it!

Mner Mon 16-Oct-17 20:55:20

The physio said once you've done it once, you're at really high risk of doing it again. There's lots of exercises they can recommend once they've assessed the weakness to get your strength back up. It's definitely worth seeing someone

AdmiralJaneway Mon 16-Oct-17 21:28:33

Yikes! Definitely RICE it. It may be worth going to a walk in clinic as sprains and fractures can be difficult to distinguish from each other unless x-rayed. I did my ankle back in May (bad sprain - x-rayed and all) and it still plays up now and then!!

JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 21:44:52

If it was like the last one then I really did think that was broken, the pain was horrendous, I was howling in pain (with sainsburys security guard looking quite amused) and did go for an x ray. But this one does hurt but not as much, I think it’ll be one that’ll be walked off in a couple of days.

On the last x ray they said they could see the ligament damage on the x ray as it was quite bad & could tell id done it a few times blush so I obviously just have really crappy ankle ligaments

gamerchick Mon 16-Oct-17 21:47:16

Em that needs an X-ray OP confused

My bets are you’ll agree in the morning.

JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 21:55:41

This is a pic of the last time I did it, I don’t bruise easily at all so for there to be that much bruising all around my ankle & it still not be broken, trust me this one will be fine wink there’s no bruising on this one.

If I do agree with you in the morning though I shall come & let you know that you were right & apologise for my stubbornness haha

gamerchick Mon 16-Oct-17 21:59:36

Are you hyper mobile? You sound like me for injuries.

JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 22:04:35

Not that I know of. The most I’ve ever been able to do is the thumb to the forearm, front & back. But that’s about it! Ok so it hurts a lot more now I’ve got up to go to the toilet but I am still able to hobble about on it

gamerchick Mon 16-Oct-17 22:07:33

When you put your arm straight out to the side and allowed to rest on the elbow. Is it straight or does it make a V?

JonSnowsWhore Mon 16-Oct-17 22:13:13

It’s straight. I just googled it & looked at the tests they do. I may be ever so slightly in my left hand but that’s it I think.

gamerchick Mon 16-Oct-17 22:15:57

That’s good.

Keep it cold and reassess in the morning. Try keep it elevated overnight if you can. Plenty of pillows.

Good luck, you have all my sympathies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now